Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rather fancy the idea of trying a Sportive. Have never cycled more than 50 miles in a day (and that was 20 years ago) BUT I'm currently commuting 140 miles per week, at reasonable speed and without much difficulty, so am hopefully fairly fit.

Assuming I don't get the chance to do any extra training (other than chasing small children around the house) what would be a sensible distance to attempt? I want a bit of a challenge, but I'd also like a sensible chance of completing the distance.

NB: I do have a proper road bike; I'm not planning to do this on a Brompton!

You appear to be me :) , so here are some thoughts:

Commuting fitness is very different to sportive fitness, as I have found out on every sportive I've ever done (with the exception of the HOTA last year because the snow forced me to slow down, thereby preventing the wheels falling off).

Try doing six laps of Richmond Park. JG introduced this to me and really does add to your fitness levels. If you can't do that because of lack of time, do a fast three laps - this will (should!) be faster than your sportive pace. It's what I do when I have to sneak an hour's training in. I've been out to the Surrey hills may be four or five times in the last two years.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Rather fancy the idea of trying a Sportive. Have never cycled more than 50 miles in a day (and that was 20 years ago) BUT I'm currently commuting 140 miles per week, at reasonable speed and without much difficulty, so am hopefully fairly fit.

Assuming I don't get the chance to do any extra training (other than chasing small children around the house) what would be a sensible distance to attempt? I want a bit of a challenge, but I'd also like a sensible chance of completing the distance.

NB: I do have a proper road bike; I'm not planning to do this on a Brompton!

You appear to be me :) , so here are some thoughts:

Commuting fitness is very different to sportive fitness, as I have found out on every sportive I've ever done (with the exception of the HOTA last year because the snow forced me to slow down, thereby preventing the wheels falling off).

Try doing six laps of Richmond Park. JG introduced this to me and really does add to your fitness levels. If you can't do that because of lack of time, do a fast three laps - this will (should!) be faster than your sportive pace. It's what I do when I have to sneak an hour's training in. I've been out to the Surrey hills may be four or five times in the last two years.
    Oi, giving away my training secrets. For free, too. Why I oughta...

~2hr rides at a decent, but not killing, pace really do work. No stopping, mind, it's the constant effort that works the magic. Longer rides are ok but are generally at a lower intensity, which means less training in the right zone. I'm a cycling club member (KW) and enjoyed 5hr club runs but mainly for the social aspect not for training.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Do any of you add a few laps of the park to your morning commute? My weekends are pretty busy so I was thinking of getting up at 7ish and doing this on the way in?

Do-able?
  • jonginge
    Sewinman wrote:
    Do any of you add a few laps of the park to your morning commute? My weekends are pretty busy so I was thinking of getting up at 7ish and doing this on the way in?

Do-able?
    Perfectly. James does a lap or so before work during the summer. Will be mostly traffic free as the road gates open from 7:30 onwards. Obviously, it'll be dark at that time just now so watch out for the wildlife. There may be more restrictions during the cull.
    CJ has been known to add laps on to his homeward commute, but that's definitely limited by the cull.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Sewinman wrote:

Do-able?

@JG - :lol:

@Sewinman - a few laps in this weather is nearly two hours. Allow 25 mins per lap with a backpack in decent weather. One at most in the morning, and between 1 and 3 in the summer on the way home. My legs prefer the extra laps in the evening.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    CJ has been known to add laps on to his homeward commute, but that's definitely limited by the cull.

Correct - I don't do any extra laps in the winter, largely because I don't go through the Park in the winter. I do a longer route through Sheen, Richmond, Twickenham, Teddington or Hampton.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bah, I need to break my RP hymen but never got time or inclination atm - or a gun to go shooting...

Need to improve long distance fitness.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    I might also add that there are several totally flat sportives down here in the SW each year, around the new forest alas I was unable to attend either work + injury but they do sound like the kinda perfect venues for a mass SCR sportive ride.

This is a lie!
  • Sewinman
    Looks like sunrise is about 7.45 at the mo. So i could do one-lap and arrive at work early.
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Do-able?
    Perfectly. James does a lap or so before work during the summer. Will be mostly traffic free as the road gates open from 7:30 onwards. Obviously, it'll be dark at that time just now so watch out for the wildlife. There may be more restrictions during the cull.

Yeah, as Jon said I do this in the summer but not in the winter - I don't fancy hitting a deer in the dark. Now I'm closer to the park it should be 2 laps.

You HOTA lot are nutters, have you not read last year's reports!

Training wise - as Jon says rides of around 2-3 hours once a weekend combined with a commute should be enough assuming your commute is a decent length and you are going at a fair clip - traffic lights can make for a kind of interval training (sprint between a few alternate sets). Mine commute wasn't long enough (until last week) so I made up for that by basically sprinting for the entire 3.5 miles!

I would advise that you find time over the weekends to get the miles in, otherwise a 100k sportive will be a rude shock, you need to get used to long session in the saddle and build endurance as well as working out what suits you in terms of taking on food and water etc...

Remember Sportives aren't races, but times are often published on the internets...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    I might also add that there are several totally flat sportives down here in the SW each year, around the new forest alas I was unable to attend either work + injury but they do sound like the kinda perfect venues for a mass SCR sportive ride.

This is a lie!

Depends on your definition of a hill!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Sewinman
    I would advise that you find time over the weekends to get the miles in, otherwise a 100k sportive will be a rude shock, you need to get used to long session in the saddle and build endurance as well as working out what suits you in terms of taking on food and water etc...

Remember Sportives aren't races, but times are often published on the internets...

Thanks (all). My commute is 7.5 miles each way. I would like to do a bit more.

The thing I am worried about is the climbing. I cycled 60 miles to Oxford the other day and have done 90 miles in the past, but i am shocking on hills and there are a lot in the HOTA.
  • attica
    In a fit of enthusiasm, I've just entered the Cornwall Tor
    http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=12

anybody care to join me?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonginge
    Sewinman wrote:

The thing I am worried about is the climbing. I cycled 60 miles to Oxford the other day and have done 90 miles in the past, but i am shocking on hills and there are a lot in the HOTA.
    Do those 2(-3)hrs rides at the right intensity and you'll pretty rapidly boost your sustainable power without completely knackering yourself. More power at the same weight=better climbing.

Best tip for long rides/sportives is not to get too excited and go out too hard.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Attica wrote:

anybody care to join me?
    You interest me, strangely, sir.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:

The only way to get better at hills, wait for it... is to ride lots of hills, or do hill repeats on a hill near you. English hills tend to be short and sharp so one option is to find one and do reps, or when the weather is better head into Surrey and do a loop, there are plenty of hills of the English Sportive 'type' to practice on.

I've been off the bike since October so my fitness must be shot, can at least get back on the Turbo now, but it aint the same. Sportive's this year without my winter base may well suck. A good winter base can be key.
  • attica
    I've got no accomodation sorted at the mo, so may look to hire a holiday cottage for the weekend like I did last year, would welcome others to share the cost
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonginge
    Attica wrote:
    I've got no accomodation sorted at the mo, so may look to hire a holiday cottage for the weekend like I did last year, would welcome others to share the cost
    Ooh, even better. Count me officially interested
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • attica
    Get thee signed up sir, I'm doing the 100 miler
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thanks for the advice, guys. On the principle of starting as I mean to go on, I'm off to do a couple laps on the way home tonight :-)

I *think* the cull may be over. Certainly the signs have disappeared, though I'm not sure I'm confident enough to risk getting locked in....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Attica wrote:

anybody care to join me?

mmmmmm, I may be tempted. There's just a few bits and pieces to sort out and I may be on, looks like fun :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • jonginge
    Attica wrote:
    Get thee signed up sir, I'm doing the 100 miler
    Right you are. Job done :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

This is a lie!

Depends on your definition of a hill!

Furzedown (especially after 93 miles) IS my definition of a hill!
  • cjcp
    Thanks for the advice, guys. On the principle of starting as I mean to go on, I'm off to do a couple laps on the way home tonight :-)

I *think* the cull may be over. Certainly the signs have disappeared, though I'm not sure I'm confident enough to risk getting locked in....

Cull's not over. There's still a sign at Kingston Gate.

If it's closed though, Nightingale Lane is very close to the Richmond Gate entrance. It kicks up to around 18% and you can do a mile long loop around Richmond, up N Lane, down Queen's or King's Road and back, and include Star & Garter Hill for a slightly longer loop.

As for the Tor...

cathellchance.jpg

I experienced some light infantry fire last weekend when I reminded (although this was apparently the first time I mentioned it) Mrs CJ that I was doing the Marmotte in addition to another excursion. I was able to dig in and hold my ground on that, but if II ask whether I can do the Tor as well, I'll face a full ground assault, with air strikes to boot.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

As for the Tor...

cathellchance.jpg

I experienced some light infantry fire last weekend when I reminded (although this was apparently the first time I mentioned it) Mrs CJ that I was doing the Marmotte in addition to another excursion. I was able to dig in and hold my ground on that, but if II ask whether I can do the Tor as well, I'll face a full ground assault, with air strikes to boot.

Surgical airstrikes or full on carpet bombing?
  • cjcp
    I dunno. Whichever tactic was deployed, I'd be taken to places I wouldn't want to go.

(I should add that Mrs CJ's reaction would be very understandable, as I'm already hoping to do the Highclere and Dragon events in June. To sanction two foreign trips means that she has "Legend" status and that she gets a good ten year anniversary present next year.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    edited December 2009
    cjcp wrote:

As for the Tor...

cathellchance.jpg

Surgical airstrikes or full on carpet bombing?
    Uh-oh, incoming! CJ, have you mentioned the Dragon or the HighClere? Prepare for a weapons upgrade to DU...

Edit: too slow to post. Damn my clumsy fingers
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    :lol:

See previous post.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    :lol:

See previous post.
    See edit ;) Restated :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    On the principle of starting as I mean to go on, I'm off to do a couple laps on the way home tonight

Well, that was a bit of a disaster :-( Something in the bottom bracket area has started making weird noises; only happens when I put the power down, making it annoyingly difficult to trace. But despite taking it easy because of that, I then managed to break the rear axle. Contemplating whether to search round for a replacement axle for a 20-year-old 6-speed hub, try to find a new (6-speed) wheel to fit a 20-year-old bike, or just throw the whole lot in the Thames :-(

I think the bike is taking out its revenge on me for ordering a replacement; Condor Agio should be ready in early Jan. In the meantime, sounds like I'll be doing 28 miles a day on the Brompton...

CJCP, excellent suggestion for Richmond interval training!
    Pannier, 120rpm.