Men's Road Race *SPOILER*

Comments

• anyone else hear the massive boo's from the crowd when vino went out alone just before last lap ?

fantastic ..........

Checked Eurosport and BBC recording. Noisey crowd, but couldn't hear any booing? :roll:
  • I'm guessing they had Gerrans as leader given his performance in the Ardennes earlier in the year but then I'd have my money on Cadel any day and I dislike Gerrans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I'm guessing they had Gerrans as leader given his performance in the Ardennes earlier in the year but then I'd have my money on Cadel any day and I dislike Gerrans.

They did.

Didn't anyone read my earlier post?!?!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    teagar wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    A good quote from Jean-Francois Bernard, he said something like "Evans is so unused to winning, he didn't know how to take his hands off the handlebars when he came near the finish line". A bit mean but it would have been nice to see Cadel saluting the crowd :D

Might be to do with the fact he wasn't happy with the aussie team who he felt left him in the lurch.

How was he left in the lurch? The term "team leader" means nothing in reality. When Sulzberger and O'Grady pulled that gap back they were helping Evans just as much as they were helping Gerrans.

It's not as if Evans was told to get on bottle-duty.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    hammerite wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    A good quote from Jean-Francois Bernard, he said something like "Evans is so unused to winning, he didn't know how to take his hands off the handlebars when he came near the finish line". A bit mean but it would have been nice to see Cadel saluting the crowd :D

To be fair, after nearly 7 hours of racing, including the eyeballs out effort for the last 5km he probably didn't have much left to get both hands off the handlebars! Not the best way to start your reign as World champ by falling off because you are too knacked to stay up right!
    I know, I was just relaying the quote from "Jeff". He did a great ride and deserves to wear the rainbow bands next year. I hope he rejigs things a bit and aims to take Paris-Nice and LBL next spring, before re-emerging for the Dauphiné and Tour.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2009
    Timoid. wrote:
    Absolutely delighted for Evans. Might silence some of his critics for a while

Definitely. He is now 2nd in the CQ Rankings (400 pointsfor the win vs 600 for the TdF overall which is a bit odd)

He has also raced 83 days this year which is definitely towards the higher end especially for similar riders.

EDIT: He is actaully 3rd as Contador has been knocked off the top spot by Valverde :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Might be to do with the fact he wasn't happy with the aussie team who he felt left him in the lurch.

How was he left in the lurch? The term "team leader" means nothing in reality. When Sulzberger and O'Grady pulled that gap back they were helping Evans just as much as they were helping Gerrans.

He wasn't given a team to boss around - to help him get into the position. Everyone was riding for Gerrans and from the sound of the interview he didn't like it.

He even said something along the lines of "thanks to me I won" , i.e. not the team.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    teagar wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He wasn't given a team to boss around - to help him get into the position. Everyone was riding for Gerrans and from the sound of the interview he didn't like it.

He even said something along the lines of "thanks to me I won" , i.e. not the team.

Eh... typical Cadel charm, then. The Australian team is not exactly on a par with the Azzuri or the Spaniards in terms of strength. What more did he want them to do? He should be thanking his lucky stars that his team-mates pulled that group back to a more manageable distance.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    anyone else hear the massive boo's from the crowd when vino went out alone just before last lap ?

fantastic ..........

Checked Eurosport and BBC recording. Noisey crowd, but couldn't hear any booing? :roll:

except harmon "pleading" with the other riders to close him down
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    could Rodriquez have on if garate and barredo hadn't chased for sammy and valverde?

kobolnev and him were the two strongest guys in that break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited September 2009
    P.S. Hugh Porter's rider calling is laughable

"I think that's Gerrans there" as Evans is flashed on screen and "This could be Wilman from Norway" at the start of the final lap were my personal favourites

My fav Porter faux pax was when he descrbibed J Rodriguez as a great sprinter :lol:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    edited September 2009
    Who I want to win: Gilbert, Evans, Cunego, EBH or Gesink.

Thank you very much. He was raced tirelessly this season from start to finish. He was even pulling on the front at times today. He deserves respect and I am glad he can have the recognition all next year. Unlike some World Champions, with Cadel we will see the strip at the frontt of the big races. Congratulations on a non prestigous win.

There i've changed that for you.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Immature goader. All the recent ones were. Like I said, this one was going to be different and I was proved right.

Blimey, I'm immature.

Like I said, the last couple of laps of the Worlds are always good value.

Iain you immature goader you................like being savaged by a dead sheep :lol:
  • Kléber wrote:

But looking at the replay he did. Just not in a grandstanding kind of way.

All those years of following wheels and coming second was just a bluff. :)

Apart from the final 4km the most impressive moment for me was how all the known 'names' were, three laps fromthe finish, at 2 minutes down being writen off by David B•llocks and Sean, yet within half a lap they were slicing their way through weary end of the breakaway. It's a shame the TV camera work wasn't able to properly capture this important change in the character of the race.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    In fact, that was possibly the best one day race of the year!

It took 16 laps before it interesting though. I did actually nod off for an hour at one point -- no worries, nothing had changed.
  • teagar wrote:
    No more namby pamby World's circuits please.

Quite.

Shame about Melbourne!

But what's the mid-day temperatures down there at this time of year. And maybe they won't bother to close the roads, just to add sopme spice. AFAIK it's one of those places where people go out riding at the crack of dawn to avoid those two factors.
  • Ms Tree wrote:
    I've loved it this week when Sean has had to do some fill in while Harmon has a 'natural break' - I can picture him looking like a rabbit in the headlights!

He's like a grandfather who's been asked to mind the baby for five minutes. He's getting better every year though. :lol:
  • teagar wrote:
    Just heard from the Sporza interview with Evans that the Aussie director picked Gerrans as the team leader, and that Evans was given free reign to do what he wanted if he made the final selection.

He had no team for him.

!!!

So, a familiar working environment then. Perhaps if he actually had an entire team at his services he might have bottled it -- well, maybe that's maybe how the DS saw it and so called it right.
  • Heard a lot about this being the toughest course in years. Was it really that much tougher than Varese?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Congratulations, Cadel!!

I don't reckon it was the most exciting race but -- great attacks by Cancellera, Spain and Italy looked as impressive as expected, good to see Brechel in the mix and, of course, a great result! :D
  • teagar
    Heard a lot about this being the toughest course in years. Was it really that much tougher than Varese?

Definitely.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'm not a fan of Evans but you have to admire that ride. Then he goes all odd again... :roll:

Chapeau to Harmon for his "off mic" comments - can you imagine them NOT showing an F1 podium or doling out the trohy at the Wimbledon finals? I've changed my sig. as a tribute... :lol: Great work, David and Sean.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Harry182 wrote:
    Congratulations, Cadel!!

I don't reckon it was the most exciting race but -- great attacks by Cancellera, Spain and Italy looked as impressive as expected, good to see Brechel in the mix and, of course, a great result! :D
    Afetr Cancelleras antics towards Cadel at this years TdF, I'm happy Cadel done him over!! Its no more than Cadel deserves after the stick, some of it clearly unwarranted, he has received from the media and many on this site.
  • pottssteve wrote:
    I'm not a fan of Evans.

And I doubt he is a fan of yours... :P

Well done Cadel.... Plenty of people will be eating humble pie. :D
  • pottssteve
    Firecrakka wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    I'm not a fan of Evans.

And I doubt he is a fan of yours... :P

Well done Cadel.... Plenty of people will be eating humble pie. :D

Ha Ha Ha,
    It's true. Ever since I trod on his dog he's stopped returning my calls.....

Mind you, my full quote was, "I'm not a fan of Evans but you have to admire that ride."

What I meant was I hadn't liked his style of riding. It was frustrating to see him always thereabouts but never able or seemingly willing to take it that bit further. However, as has been discussed elsewhere he hasn't had as much team support as he would maybe have liked. His podium places in the TdF and Vuelta were generally thought to be his career highlights, so this must be a fantastic moment for him and rightfully two fingers to doubters like me. :)

I just didn't realise you Aussies were so touchy... :lol:

Steve
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Immature goader. All the recent ones were. Like I said, this one was going to be different and I was proved right.

Blimey, I'm immature.

Iain you immature goader you................like being savaged by a dead sheep :lol:

Lightweight, MG, Lightweight. :wink:

Has to be said, FF, did put in that disclaimer phrase for this year.
    Have a feeling Berto's missed the boat, given the next two editions.
    He'll now have to watch Cadel swaggering around, at the tours, which, I've no doubt he will!

In the cold light of morning, that was still the best days racing of the entire year.
    Fiercely hot and a terrific high.
    Whereas the Tour is alawys a bit of an anti-climax, come the Paris procession.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Blimey, I'm immature.

He'll now have to watch Cadel swaggering around, at the tours, which, I've no doubt he will!

In the cold light of morning, that was still the best days racing of the entire year.

+ Several sir, plus several.

Best race since Roubaix for me...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

That is true but in the last 5 years how many excellent Worlds have we had? Quite a few I would suggest.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pottssteve
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Blimey, I'm immature.

+ Several sir, plus several.

Best race since Roubaix for me...[/quote]

Indeed, Roubaix, Milan San Remo and this have all floated my boat this season...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    edited September 2009
    iainf72 wrote:

That is true but in the last 5 years how many excellent Worlds have we had? Quite a few I would suggest.

I would suggest the only dull worlds we've had in the last few seasons was 2002 at Zolder, everybody knew what was going to happen. But then we got to see Cipo in the Rainbow Jersey.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent