Men's Road Race *SPOILER*

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    MSR is a race that sprinters sometimes win, and sometimes don't.

9 out of the last 10 were won by sprinters.

Pozzato is not a sprinter. Neither is Cancellara. So that's 2 out of the last 4 not won by sprinters. But as redddragon rightly points out: so what?

A race is a race. 200 people enter, there is no rule to say who can or can't win. If a race is exciting, who cares what type of rider wins?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Since Madrid the Worlds haven't been won by a "sprinter" - Agreed? They've been tough, selective courses which tended to favour a rouler / hilly classics man, agreed?

I originally said the last ten years, so we would have to go from then.

I would agree with you if you wouldn't consider Bettini and Freire sprinters. Maybe the point of contention is what we would each consider a sprinter. I don't exclusively mean someone like Griepel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If the parcours was hard enough that the sprinters had no chance of getting to the finish such as in a mountain stage or a stage like this year's Worlds then it isn't a sprinter's race.

So, no "sprinters" in the top 20 last year, for example?

However this year Friere managed to come in 15'th.

I can't even believe I'm bothering with this - You must be the only person on earth who thinks the 06 / 07 and 08 Worlds were sprinters races.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Glad we've sorted that... Roubaix: Sprinters race, Flanders:Sprinters race, everything not on a mountaintop finish: sprinters race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I would agree with you if you wouldn't consider Bettini and Freire sprinters. Maybe the point of contention is what we would each consider a sprinter. I don't exclusively mean someone like Griepel.

Bettini wasn't a sprinter. He had a fierce sprint on him but I don't think you could call him a sprinter. Same as Valverde or Cunego. Good sprint on 'em but not a "sprinter" in a Cavendish mould.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • So how is Zabel able to come in 2nd?

I am not saying they ALL are pure sprinters races, I am saying they could be GENERALISED as sprinters races in the last 10 years or so.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Also add McEwen and Boonen to top ten in 2006.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm confused. Was Bettini a sprinter? Is Ballan a sprinter? Isn't Freire an all-rounder?

And in the year's when a "sprinter" won - like Boonen in 2005 - how can you say it's a sprinter's race when Valverde came second? In fact - Valverde has come second twice to "sprinters" - does that make HIM a sprinter too?

Can someone please explain?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Why do you like such pointless arguments FF?

What you are arguing this time really is a bit silly.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Hinault won from bunch sprints... does that mean everything he won was a sprinters race?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Paris-Roubaix is a sprinter's race. Tom Boonen has won it 3 times.
  • Ok, tell me what you would categorise the Worlds as?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    Ok, tell me what you would categorise the Worlds as?

It's the "Worlds", it's different every year, because the course is different every year.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ok, tell me what you would categorise the Worlds as?

A generally excellent one day race, run over varying courses suiting different types of riders in any given year.

Why put it in a box?

@gietvangent
  • surely a sprinters race is a race that finishes in a bunch sprint?
  • afx237vi
    Ok, tell me what you would categorise the Worlds as?

Why does it need to be categorised as anything?!
  • Let me re-phrase that question. What would you consider a sprinters race to be?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    Let me re-phrase that question. What would you consider a sprinters race to be?

A sprinters race is one which the sprinters teams are up for.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Paris-Tours.
  • Let me re-phrase that question. What would you consider a sprinters race to be?

Champs elysee every year, any of those 1st week of a grand tour stages 150-180km long, 1 or 2 4th cat climbs flat run in. The length of an MSR or Worlds makes them a greater challenge.

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2009

One that ends in a bunch sprint, where designated sprinters are led out by their team mates...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Any pan-flat stage of a GT where the break gets pulled in before the finish.

By this logic every race is a sprinters race: 'a sprinters team' (how vague is this) can be loosely defined as a team with a sprinter, and as every race will include at least one team that has a sprinter, it follows that all races are sprinters races.

I think you need to be more precise.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    It's like arguing with a three year old. :lol:
  • afx237vi

By this logic every race is a sprinters race: 'a sprinters team' (how vague is this) can be loosely defined as a team with a sprinter, and as every race will include at least one team that has a sprinter, it follows that all races are sprinters races.

You're the one banging on about "sprinters races". Everyone else just watches "races".

I wouldn't call Paris-Tours a sprinters race either, btw.
  • Anonymous

sw7yu299707.gif
  • redddraggon

Nah I don't need to be more precise. I'm going to take my own advice:

335088-dont_feed_the_trolls_super.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I think the contention lies in what I consider to be a sprinters race, which is one that could potentially be won by a sprinter, who in turn I consider to be someone who has mostly sprint wins to their palmares.

I think I will leave it here, we can agree to differ and move on to other discussions. At the end of the day, whether I consider the Worlds typically a sprinters race shouldn't bother you enough to create page after page of discussion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2009
    If, in 2008, there weren't enough riders left to contest this, "sprinter's race", then it wasn't a sprinter's race, but a war of attrition.
    Ergo, the world's aren't a bleeding sprinter's race, but a strongman/alrounder's race.

Gent-Wevelgem or KBL may be sprinter's races, but I'm pretty sure Flanders and Het Volk aren't.
    Sprinters......strong alrounders......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Keirin - that's a sprinter's race
    Twitter: @RichN95