Men's Road Race *SPOILER*

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dunkeldog wrote:
    Full marks to David Harmon. Imagine commentating for over six hours and then being told you're going to miss the five minutes it's all led up to. I would have used much more colourful language at that point... Rainbow coloured might just sum it up.

Indeed! The commentary was grand...

I had to suffer Hugh Porter in the early stages when I was at work. Cringeworthy.
  • anyone else hear the massive boo's from the crowd when vino went out alone just before last lap ?

fantastic ..........
  • Well done, Cadel. The bloke used to get on my nerves but I've grown to him and become a fan.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Just heard from the Sporza interview with Evans that the Aussie director picked Gerrans as the team leader, and that Evans was given free reign to do what he wanted if he made the final selection.

He had no team for him.

!!!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I didn't see any of it 'cos I was working (gona watch back on iplayer :) ) so can someone explain what happened on Eurosport for me? Who's JC? And why did Harmon swear?

Basically, the race finished and Harmon was annoyed that they weren't staying live to show the podium presentation.

He thought he was off-mic and goes "WHAT?! I didn't even get a count... No podiums? That's BOLLOCKS, JC!"

JC must be the producer. It was kinda funny, but unfortunate for Harmon. Hopefully he doesn't get in trouble for it.
  • Fantastic ride by Evans. Well deserved. Great attack. I feel happier now he's finally won something big.

Harmon's comments were funny and correct. Ridiculous they went back to the studio.
  • Anonymous
    If Harmon gets in to trouble we'll have to send as many e-mails of support to Eurosport as possible!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    I didn't see any of it 'cos I was working (gona watch back on iplayer :) ) so can someone explain what happened on Eurosport for me? Who's JC? And why did Harmon swear?

Basically, the race finished and Harmon was annoyed that they weren't staying live to show the podium presentation.

He thought he was off-mic and goes "WHAT?! I didn't even get a count... No podiums? That's BOLLOCKS, JC!"

JC must be the producer. It was kinda funny, but unfortunate for Harmon. Hopefully he doesn't get in trouble for it.

I've be checking. Apparently, The French labour rules don't work that way. He'll be given an avertissement.(warning/strike)
    3 strikes before you are out.
    They should give him a medal. Le Tosseurs! :x

Anyhow, for those who haven't heard it.....the tube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSunQ67CKSE
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I know you can't have everything... but saying "it's not my responsibility to comment" when asked if his win represents a victory for clean cycling is a bit Omertaish for mine.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi wrote:

Just watched it on iplayer, absolutely awesome race! The power that Cancellara put down on that final time up Aqua Frisca was immese, watching Gilbert digging in to hold his wheel was something I never thought would happen.

If he could have picked one person he didn't want to follow him down the descent it would have been Sammy, but then I suppose Sammy would have been following his wheel at the top of the climb.

Kinda crap that the podium was decided by someone just sitting up, but they all looked pretty knackered to be honest, and who can blame them? The efforts of Italy at the end of the the penultimate lap killed everyone, absolute mega team, AND they were all working together!

Good ride by Cadel, but he's just a bit too weird for me, it just doesn't quite sit right. Still, props for the world's longest sprint finish, it was about 5k wasn't it?!?! Will be good to see the bands at the front in the mountains of the Tour next year, first time since 96?

Kolobnev needs to find a decent new team where he can be sole leader for the Classics, the likes of AG2R or somewhere can support a classics campaign, but Nocentini isn't quite good enough IMO. Kolobnev is just under a few too may shadows in "The Bank", especially with Spartacus getting stronger year on year.
  • P.S. Hugh Porter's rider calling is laughable

"I think that's Gerrans there" as Evans is flashed on screen and "This could be Wilman from Norway" at the start of the final lap were my personal favourites
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited September 2009
    Nice to see Cadel smiling properly http://twitpic.com/je5d7 well done that man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't understand Kolobnev. It's not as if Riis stops him from racing. He just seems unable to race unless the leaves on the trees are turning brown. A rider capable of performing in the latter part of the season is worth a lot to a sponsor but he seems incapable of delivering results when he's not wearing national colours?
  • Kolobnev had the expression of someone who thought he should have done more than second. Still only 28, I reckon we'll see a lot more of him.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2009
    Who I want to win: Gilbert, Evans, Cunego, EBH or Gesink.

Thank you very much. He was raced tirelessly this season from start to finish. He was even pulling on the front at times today. He deserves respect and I am glad he can have the recognition all next year. Unlike some World Champions, with Cadel we will see the strip at the frontt of the big races. Congratulations on a great win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:
    'ere, I thought the Worlds was a rubbish sprinters race?

Immature goader. All the recent ones were. Like I said, this one was going to be different and I was proved right.

Lightweight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • teagar
    Kolobnev had the expression of someone who thought he should have done more than second. Still only 28, I reckon we'll see a lot more of him.

Only 28?

28 isn't young for a cyclist?

It's not old, but it's not young!
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Immature goader. All the recent ones were. Like I said, this one was going to be different and I was proved right.

Blimey, I'm immature.

Like I said, the last couple of laps of the Worlds are always good value.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Evans worthy winner, but still comes across as a tit
  • iainf72 wrote:
    'ere, I thought the Worlds was a rubbish sprinters race?

Lightweight.

Salzburg, Varese and Hamilton beg to differ. I can't think of a world champion we haven't seen at the front of big races... Friere? Cipo? Bettini? Boonen? I think the only ones you have a point with are Ballan, who's season was a write off with illness, and Astarloza who was crap.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Almost 50% of the starters DNF
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Its the same every year in the worlds FF. The sheer length means that there's no point hauling yourself round when your job is done.

I loved seeing the Austrian from the early break high fiving the crowd after he got dropped.

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A good quote from Jean-Francois Bernard, he said something like "Evans is so unused to winning, he didn't know how to take his hands off the handlebars when he came near the finish line". A bit mean but it would have been nice to see Cadel saluting the crowd :D
  • Anonymous
    Kléber wrote:
    A good quote from Jean-Francois Bernard, he said something like "Evans is so unused to winning, he didn't know how to take his hands off the handlebars when he came near the finish line". A bit mean but it would have been nice to see Cadel saluting the crowd :D

He blew kisses to them and then kissed his ring (oo er!)
  • teagar
    Kléber wrote:

Might be to do with the fact he wasn't happy with the aussie team who he felt left him in the lurch.
  • Anonymous
    Gerrans was the leader, Evans told to do what he liked...

I'm guessing...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Absolutely delighted for Evans. Might silence some of his critics for a while
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Kléber wrote:

To be fair, after nearly 7 hours of racing, including the eyeballs out effort for the last 5km he probably didn't have much left to get both hands off the handlebars! Not the best way to start your reign as World champ by falling off because you are too knacked to stay up right!
  • Typically Evans chooses the day after I've argued on here that he's not suited to one day racing to go and get his biggest ever win in an f'ing one day race! :shock:

Apart from that good on him - his career deserves a big win - pleased for him.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.