Men's Road Race *SPOILER*

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Live now on the red button and BBC online.

Hugh Porter thinks Samu will win, Sean Kelly thinks Cunego or (wait for it) Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver! But before you get excited afx, Kelly said Cancellara would win the Tour...

Comments

• Thank God the weather looks better than the forcast.
    One small crash, so far.
    202 riders at the start. Imagine that first descent in the wet!

Samu, obviously looks good, but Cunego can descend with the best.
    As we saw, yesterday, a lot time can be accumalitively won or lost
    on the descents.
    Bike handlers to the fore.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Is anyone else having trouble with the red-button coverage?
  • Watching on Eurosport in HD, looks stunning. The early portions have been perfect hangover viewing :oops:

Coming up, Stefano Garzelli is going to tell us how they get the Italian team to work together! That should be good for a laugh
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Modestly ranking himself as a favourite!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Stannard crashed at low speed but looks ok. Just waiting for team car.
  • I'm sure they just said Downing had retired? Anyone know why?
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    I'm sure they just said Downing had retired? Anyone know why?

Indeed he has, just seen on Twitter than "Downing climbs off", no idea why. Long season and just a race too far perhaps?
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I'm sure they just said Downing had retired? Anyone know why?

Indeed he has, just seen on Twitter than "Downing climbs off", no idea why. Long season and just a race too far perhaps?
    Apparently, David Millar had a crash & Downing buried himself getting DM back into the group & dropped out..
  • Split up in to 4 groups now. Seems to be a GB rider in the 3rd group I think (Thomas). I think another GB rider has attacked the peloton to try and make the 3rd group. Not sure of time gaps. VV, Spartacus, Samu Sanchez, Schleck, Evans and Cunego all seem to be in peloton.
  • Who I want to win: Gilbert, Evans, Cunego, EBH or Gesink.

Who I think will win: Andy, Valverde, Cunego

Who I dont want to win: Valverde, Andy

Cyclingnews
    Situation:

Andre Greipel (Germany), Yukiya Arashiro (Japan), Matija Kvasina (Croatia), Christoph Sokoll (Austria), Peter Kusztor (Hungary), Jan Barta (Czech Republic), Gorazd Stangelj (Slovenia), Mauricio Ardila (Columbia), and Volodymyr Zagorodny (Ukraine).

Chase group 1 - Giovanni Visconti (Italy), Michele Scarponi (Italy), Dani Moreno (Spain), Françis De Greef (Belgium) and Greg Van Avermaet (Belgium), Alessandro Ballan (Italy), Joaquím Rodríguez (Spain), Paul Martens (Germany), Johnny Hoogerland (Netherlands), Michael Albasini (Switzerland) at 3.28

Chase Group 2 at 3.59

Peloton at 5.35
    Contador is the Greatest
  • UCI
    The start and finish are located in the Mendrisio stadium. After 1,930 m, the course climbs 1,600 m, with the first 820 m taking riders through the town centre to the foot of the "Acqua Fresca" hill, which has an average gradient of 10% over its 780 m section.

At Castel San Pietro, the cyclists reach the highest point of the course at 438 m above sea level. Then comes the only descent: 4,580 metres of steep and technically demanding downhill section leading to the lowest point of the course in Balerna, at 250 m above sea level.

After a relatively level 1,420 metres comes the second climb: the mythical "Torrazza di Novazzano", the location of the struggle between Felice Gimondi and Eddy Merckx in the 1971 World Championship: 1,750 m with gradients of 10%.

After a gentle descent of 800 m to Genestrerio and a level 1,810 m, the athletes reach the finish in Mendrisio.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Cunego has 3 team-mates in the race, Valverde 6. One of them now riding on the front, Andrey Amador. For the glory of Costa Rica? I think not...
  • Mini schleck is out! That leaves only one on your sh!t-list FF!

@gietvangent
  • 1:53 back to the 1st chase group. 3:00 to peloton. Australians doing thework on the front.
  • Who are the 'strines working for?

@gietvangent
  • I'd guess at Evans but I'm not sure. Not seen Cadel on the front.
  • I'm still 20 minutes behind the bunch, trying to catch up for the final two laps.
    Ah, the wonders of chase play!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Millar retired. Looks like thomas is falling out of the chase group. :cry:
  • Well that was a successful world champs then... :roll:
  • Thomas might still be in there. He seemed to be falling out on the climb but not heard he has fallen out yet. He is doing a really good ride.
  • I think that is confirmed now, Thomas not in the chase group.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cancellara is still in it...

Some big names in fact catching up the leaders...
  • Anonymous
    GO CANCELLARA :D
  • :shock: He looks immense.
  • Anonymous
    Final selection?

Cunego, Evans, Cancellara.

Plllllllllllleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeeee Cancellara!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    He looked super strong, but Cunego got to him easy enough.

I'm expecting a group of 20-30 starting the final lap together.
    exercise.png
  • Cunego? valverde? Dont think Fabien willk be good enought on climb, italy and spain lok favourites with so many there
  • Boonen dropped.