240 miles in 9 hours.

Comments

• Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    The attempt is for the 1st of August 5am. AlthoughI haven't sent the RRA my schedule yet in case of unforeseen circumstances, so I'm leaving that til as late as I can.

I have thought about my fuel. But I'm still experimenting. I will be picking up food and drink on route from some patient friends who don't mind hanging around in laybys.
  • Good luck with the attempt Shaved!

have you considered nipping behind a motor bike? :wink:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    God on you if you do it, but I can't see you doing it unless you train every single day, give up your job and take some drugs.
  • freehub wrote:
    God on you if you do it, but I can't see you doing it unless you train every single day, give up your job and take some drugs.

That's the spirit Will, if only everybody who chased a dream had such encouragement and support!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    freehub wrote:

Come on Will, get behind him. Even if he doesn't break the record it's one hell of achievement to even do it.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    freehub wrote:

That's the spirit Will, if only everybody who chased a dream had such encouragement and support!

I'm with "freehub". Chasing dreams and fantasies is not what the world is about. If this guy is for real and what he says is true then he's in for real dose of reality and it won't resemble his dreams in the slightest.
  • dennisn wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I'm with "freehub". Chasing dreams and fantasies is not what the world is about. If this guy is for real and what he says is true then he's in for real dose of reality and it won't resemble his dreams in the slightest.

You're right Dennis we should probably all just resign ourselves to doing whatever we do now forever, never improving ourselves or daring to want more.

Even if he fails, might he not learn something about himself, have a good time, have a few stories to tell? What's wrong with daring to dream?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Aggieboy
    FFS!!! At least he's having a go! Better to have a go and fail than to regret forever not doing it at all.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Even if he fails, might he not learn something about himself, have a good time, have a few stories to tell? What's wrong with daring to dream?

I can guarentee he will learn something about himself with this attempt. 27 MPH for 9 hours??? Please :roll: :roll: :roll: or should it be? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    dennisn wrote:
    I think he has personal reasons to attempt the challenge, and good luck to him. It doesn't really matter if he succeeds or not.
  • freehub
    Aggieboy wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Come on Will, get behind him. Even if he doesn't break the record it's one hell of achievement to even do it.

I said good on him if he does it, but it seems an unreasonable challenge tbh, of course either way what he does may be a great achievement, I mean even if he ends up doing the full distance at say 22mph average, it's still not bad going.
  • dennisn
    Infamous wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I think he has personal reasons to attempt the challenge, and good luck to him. It doesn't really matter if he succeeds or not.

I don't wish him ill will at all. Shaved says, in a previous post that his training is going well(quote - "the base is coming along") , yet he can't do a 25 mile TT in an hour or less. Let alone 9 in a row. This is not training that's "coming along, now it's time for speed".
  • Aggieboy
    dennisn wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I don't wish him ill will at all. Shaved says, in a previous post that his training is going well(quote - "the base is coming along") , yet he can't do a 25 mile TT in an hour or less. Let alone 9 in a row. This is not training that's "coming along, now it's time for speed".

Are you depressed today, dennisn? Pop along to your NHS. Oh, you haven't got one yet have you. :lol:
  • dennisn
    Aggieboy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Are you depressed today, dennisn? Pop along to your NHS. Oh, you haven't got one yet have you. :lol:

Well, I am pretty bored these days. Really slow at work. Think I will retire the first of next year.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Well, I am pretty bored these days. Really slow at work. Think I will retire the first of next year.

You're still working, at your age!! :wink:
  • dennisn
    inseine wrote:

You're still working, at your age!! :wink:

Well, there are two choices. One - stay working at something I enjoy and get paid for.
    Two - Retire and spend 24 - 7 - 365 with a wife who will find all sorts of "jobs" for me to do, that I probably won't enjoy, and definitely won't get paid for.
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Dennisn - all opinions are appreciated as long as it not personal etc.

I did the time trial at my target HR for the 9 hours, not at a 25m TT effort. There is a considerable difference. I wasn't interested in the TT as a competition, I entered as a way to liven up my training, it can get lonely. And the course was over lumpy terrain similar to the roads between Bath and Marlborough.

In truth I was dissappointed not to have a higher average speed, but I was pleased that I felt capable of riding the course a few more times at the same pace. That is what the training to date has been about. Now I have to find a few more mph. I don't think that is going to be pleasant.

I can say I'm not having much fun, and putting so much time and effort into something which may I well fail at is hard. I may well just have to come away having learnt something about myself. That may give some of you the opportunity to say 'I told you so'.

Some may think I'm stupid for trying - I haven't got an answer for that. But I'd like to think everyone would want me to succeed.
  • dennisn
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Dennisn - all opinions are appreciated as long as it not personal etc.

I did the time trial at my target HR for the 9 hours, not at a 25m TT effort. There is a considerable difference. I wasn't interested in the TT as a competition, I entered as a way to liven up my training, it can get lonely. And the course was over lumpy terrain similar to the roads between Bath and Marlborough.

In truth I was dissappointed not to have a higher average speed, but I was pleased that I felt capable of riding the course a few more times at the same pace. That is what the training to date has been about. Now I have to find a few more mph. I don't think that is going to be pleasant.

I can say I'm not having much fun, and putting so much time and effort into something which may I well fail at is hard. I may well just have to come away having learnt something about myself. That may give some of you the opportunity to say 'I told you so'.

Some may think I'm stupid for trying - I haven't got an answer for that. But I'd like to think everyone would want me to succeed.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you can't do 25 miles in one hour how do you expect to do 27MPH(giver or take a bit) for nine straight hours???
    Sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't WANT you to succeed. Never said that. IMHO I think the reality is that IF you complete this thing you're looking at well over 12 hours.
  • dennisn
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Training.

I'll leave you with the following idea. 27 MPH, ALL DAY, ON A BICYCLE.
    I won't bother you again. Good luck
  • djoptix
    djoptix Posts: 23
    Well, it certainly seems like it's a mountain to climb. I say good on you for attempting it.

First of all, you certainly raised my eyebrows by divulging that you're commuting fixed on 53/12! I'm on 46/15 and I don't think I'd like to go much higher!

However, it seems like one of your main obstacles is going to be traffic lights, especially as you're starting at 5AM, thereby hitting rush hour in the morning. Could you get people stationed at particularly crucial lights, either to stop traffic and/or to call a support vehicle to let you know if you can run the red?

</irresponsible>
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I think you will have to organise something that allows you to run red lights, you won't have a hope if you have to stop for them.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    dennisn wrote:
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Training.

its not all day is it now... if hes going at 27mph its going to be under 9 hours :wink:

I say go for it just remember that the faster you go the less time it hurts for... (well thats what i tell my self going up big hills.) GL
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • freehub
    dennisn wrote:
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Training.

its not all day is it now... if hes going at 27mph its going to be under 9 hours :wink:

I say go for it just remember that the faster you go the less time it hurts for... (well thats what i tell my self going up big hills.) GL

And the faster you go the more it hurts too :wink:
  • chaffordred
    chaffordred Posts: 131
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I can guarentee he will learn something about himself with this attempt. 27 MPH for 9 hours??? Please :roll: :roll: :roll: or should it be? :lol::lol::lol:

Back in 1981 the doubters of John Woodburn probably said similar things to him, yet he did it with none of the technology we have today.
  • inseine
    Back in 1981 the doubters of John Woodburn probably said similar things to him, yet he did it with none of the technology we have today.

With respect, there's been a lot of nonsense in this thread. Woodburn was already a top, national championship winning cyclist who the next year anilalated the end to end record.
    I think the target is 211 miles now anyway? If it's 240 there is no chance of beating the record unless there happens to be a hurricane of a tailwind that day. If It's 211 it's still unlikely, but the best of British to you. You don't get anything without trying.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Couple of points;

- Before commenting read the thread ffs. The target is not 27mph for 9 hours. The target is to ride 211 miles in 9 hours. Thats an average speed of 23.4mph. This is a quite normal avs within the reach of any good cyclist. In comparison last year Andy Wilkinson went much further faster riding 302.46 miles in 12 hours a sustained average of 25.2mph. As had been noted by those taking the trouble to read the full thread the problem all the traffic furniture that has grown up since John Woodburn's day. So say 2 hours at 17mph to negotiate these. This puts the avs for the rest up to 25mph. Tough but possible as Andy Wilkinson proves.

- Comments from dennisn and the like are useful. But only because they are complete and utter losers who have never really accomplished anything of note on a bike. Come on dennis. You know so much.. what have you ever done with your positive attitude and all? Honestly this time of year I use the views of noobs like you to motivate me to do hard turbo sessions knowing that I am so much better than you will ever be. Shavedlegs I wish u well and urge you to do the same. Regardless of outcome you are completely different breed than those like dennis who fail before they even start.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • inseine
    Actually bahzob I read the thread and like I said, good luck!
    Nobody wants to pour cold water on someones dream, especially concidering his motivation but to say 23.4 mph is in the reach of any good cyclist shows a bit of nievity don't you think? It's not really in most peoples reach, not for 9hours!
    Andy Wilkinson and John Woodburn are pretty special riders. remember the second place guy in the 12 last year only averaged 23.7 mph.
    What he has got in his favour is the fact that it is not an out and back ride so the wind will decide the result as much as anything.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Hey first time I've read this thread. good luck £50 when you do it!

I killed my self for years trying to get under 2.50 for a marathon (I know its not that great and I didn't do it) but at least I bl**dy tried. So good luck and keep goin.
  • solsurf wrote:
    Hey first time I've read this thread. good luck £50 when you do it!

I killed my self for years trying to get under 2.50 for a marathon (I know its not that great and I didn't do it) but at least I bl**dy tried. So good luck and keep goin.

Exactly, I have racing, sportif and Time Trial goals that I may never achieve, but striving to get to them keeps me going, gets me out on my bike 5 times a week, keeps me enjoying my riding and though over hte last ten yearsi've fallen short of a lot of goals, I've achieved some things and had a blast.

What's the point of setting yourself a goal that you know is a cast-iron certainty? Where's the challenge?

Good luck Shaved!

@gietvangent