New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Simple things... :wink:
  • jamescw
    jamescw Posts: 87
    They coming in the first week of September, according to 'Mr Crud' Pete Tomkins.
  • prawny wrote:
    Why are we so excited about muguards? I reckon it's the picture on the site if they'd been fitted to a crappy winter bike no one would give a toss.

But they're fitted to a flash bike, and it still doesn't look like a crappy winter bike!
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649

Mine!

I wanted to get something to protect myself and the bike in this awful weather and the Defy specific ones just looked horrible. Plus, these are cheaper!

I'll let you know if they are any good as i've just ordered a set.

EDIT: i've just spoken to them and they will have to order them in, and they cant get them before september :-( I was hoping to have them on the bike and tested before my 110 mile ride on the 4th, so fingers crossed.
    us0.png
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I have a sample here to be fitted tomorrow.
    What do you want to know?
  • FeynmanC
    How easy to install and remove?
    Do they do what they say on the tin, especially regarding the "floating" technology?
    Will they work with a Giant Defy2.5 (as giant said only their guards will fit)
    Do they look as good in real life, rather than in an expensively staged product photoshoot?
    us0.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Belv wrote:
    I have a sample here to be fitted tomorrow.
    What do you want to know?

Everything! Coverage, noise, ease of fitment the works :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Belv
    Fitting is easy - cylindrical rubber bands and cable ties.
    The floating effect is achieved by two stick-on brushes that you align with the rim.
    I don't have one of those bikes to fit it to, but can see no reason why it wouldn't fit. Let me know the gap between the tyre and the brake.
    Will have to confirm look tomorrow.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Is there enough flexibility to be able to use them with 27" wheels?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Belv
    10mins for an idiot to fit (i tested this!)
    I can't get them to fit quite as flush as on the picture at the back but the front hold the line of the wheel really well. It depends to an extent on how much clearance the brake calipers give you from the tyre since the guards cable tie around the bolt holding the caliper to the frame.
    The brush pads will undoubtedly rub on the rim (as they are designed to) on rough roads because there is little lateral stiffness in the supporting arms, but i can't imagine them bumping up and down on the tyre unless you are off-road (which the instructions specifically tell you not to do).

HTH, any more Q's will be answered tomorrow.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    And pics - we like pics.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Avoneer wrote:
    And pics - we like pics.

Pat...

YES WE MUST HAVE PICS :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • I've scrutinised the instructions and the video that appears on the Crud website.

I am now assuming that they will only work with bikes with calliper brakes - specifically brakes utilising a central mount above the wheel. Presumably anyone with anything other than brakes with a central mount will have nothing to tie them to?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this effectively precludes a big selection of hybrids, flat bar roadies etc etc - basically anything using V-brakes, disc brakes etc etc. It certainly looks like my Specialized Sirrus can't use them.

Please say it ain't so.
  • FeynmanC
    I had a reply from Crud - Very impressed with their customer service so far!

"We start assembly tomorrow actually. Wholesalers get them during next week, and shops should get them soon after.
    If you can fit a 4mm allenkey between yr tyre and forks-brakebridge, then they should fit.

Hope this helps
    Thanx for your interest
    'Mr CRUD'
    "
    us0.png
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    WWWWAAAAAAANNNNNNNTTTTTTT
    They look perfect for Sunday club rides on the Kiron.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    nope, you'll be able to fit them, because most hybrids and flat bar racers with canti's and v's will have the brace so that regular mudguards can be fitted.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    If you're on v's or like, perhaps you can put a bolt and nut through the cross brace that most frames have (with the hole in the middle of it for rack/mudguards) and use the bolt head to secure the cruds?

Pat..
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Belv
    Liversage wrote:
    I've scrutinised the instructions and the video that appears on the Crud website.

I am now assuming that they will only work with bikes with calliper brakes - specifically brakes utilising a central mount above the wheel. Presumably anyone with anything other than brakes with a central mount will have nothing to tie them to?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this effectively precludes a big selection of hybrids, flat bar roadies etc etc - basically anything using V-brakes, disc brakes etc etc. It certainly looks like my Specialized Sirrus can't use them.

Please say it ain't so.
    That is correct, it must have something for the cable tie to go round to hold the front half in place.
  • Belv
    Avoneer wrote:
    If you're on v's or like, perhaps you can put a bolt and nut through the cross brace that most frames have (with the hole in the middle of it for rack/mudguards) and use the bolt head to secure the cruds?

Pat..
    It could go round a front reflector mounted there.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    These look like what I was looking for.
    If they are in stock 1st week of September, that would be enough time to get them for my london to paris ride.
    On the plus side they cover the top bit of the front tyre which stops it spraying into your face.
    The only concern I have is the 'hovering' pads, which in sunny conditions might overheat the rims?
    I guess for the price you can't go wrong. At worst just stick them on ebay half price.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Quite a sexy looking bit of kit, and impressed with the thought that's gone into them :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Belv
    fnegroni wrote:
    The only concern I have is the 'hovering' pads, which in sunny conditions might overheat the rims?
    I can't imagine so. They are little more than very soft (and small!) draft-excluder-style brushes.
  • fnegroni
    Belv wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:
    I can't imagine so. They are little more than very soft (and small!) draft-excluder-style brushes.

They did think of everything then! :-)

Ok, I want a set! NOW!
  • Belv
    gb155 wrote:
    Avoneer wrote:
    And pics - we like pics.

Pat...

Pics of any area in particular? They look exactly like they do on the website from a distance.
  • fnegroni
    Belv wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    Avoneer wrote:
    And pics - we like pics.

Pat...

Pics of any area in particular? They look exactly like they do on the website from a distance.

Pic of the hovering pads please.

P.S.
    Yes, I am sad... I'd rather commute then work... am I the only one?
  • Looks like the RaceBlades might have to go off the Felt F5C (never did get any interest from the sale ad some months ago). Like other RB users here, as much as they protected me from the dreaded vertical tide line on my back, my poor brake calipers are the dumping ground for all the rubbish that comes from the blades! :cry:

Having watched the videos, they look a great design, which will protect the calipers and the rider. Might have to order a set of Cruds and then finally get round to fitting my set of Bontrager Speed Limit brakes (bought over a year ago, only seen 5 commute days use so far) on a permanent basis! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Would be interested to see some photos of the rear guard :) I assume it's pretty similar to the front, but would be interested to see how it mounts etc.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Belv
    Taken photos but can't work out how to post them (can't even find the FAQ's explaining how to do it!)
    Will have another look later, but do have other work to do!

By the way, rear mudguard is identical to the front only with a slightly different shaped extension on the back.
  • mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    Hi Commuters, Mr.Crud here

Well, we have been overwhelmed by the response to our new roadracer mudguards.
    We are just packing the first batch today, but testing and development has been going on all year and we are really excited about this product.
    I have given BikeRadar some pics to put on the site, going on tomorrow morning.
    I would post pics myself, but I am useless at tech stuff like that.

Thanx for yr enthusiastic posts, we have put an enormous amount of work in on this one and it's great to be appreciated.

OK,it's back to the packaging for me.
    Best Wishes
    Mr.C.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    mr.crud wrote:
    Hi Commuters, Mr.Crud here

Well, we have been overwhelmed by the response to our new roadracer mudguards.
    We are just packing the first batch today, but testing and development has been going on all year and we are really excited about this product.
    I have given BikeRadar some pics to put on the site, going on tomorrow morning.
    I would post pics myself, but I am useless at tech stuff like that.

Thanx for yr enthusiastic posts, we have put an enormous amount of work in on this one and it's great to be appreciated.

OK,it's back to the packaging for me.
    Best Wishes
    Mr.C.

Pete/Jamie

Are these going to be available through all your usual stockists or are there specific ones I should look out for?

Cheers,
    Stu.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur