Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    just updated my Garmin 820 to the latest firmware 12.30

WHY!?!

Oh well i expect i'll now have no end of problems
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Spent a bit of the weekend doing some mind fettling...

https://www.coursera.org/learn/unraveling-the-cycling-city
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    does anyone know if you can mixed campag A & C cassette cogs, I have a 13-26 which i want to change to 13-29 by swapping out the 18T which is an 18C, the 29 and 26 are C model are there any differences from A to C?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Develop at creak today for 29 miles so once home I started undoing cleaning and greasing everything and I mean everything nut and bolt, still there and there are only two things left, headset and seatpost Boo!
  • itboffin
    Cleaned the CAAD12 which looked clean but on closer inspection had a thick layer of baked in grime on the back of the chainrings and black goo all over the jockey wheels, I also discover I’ve worn through the paint on the non drive side, clearly the heal of my shoe has been eating the frame 🤬
  • Got a spare frame out to build up. Put chainset in and it wouldn't turn. Non drive side bearing was solid. BBR60 mountain bike bearing on a road bike. Bearings are standard 6805-2rs. Took bearings out and cleaned vigorously. De greaser, WD40, spray lube etc. 30 mins later bearing was spinning like new. Packed with grease and refitted. Might not be 100% perfect but more than adequate for a shopping/pub bike. Saved cost and delay in ordering a new BB.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Absolute Black oval 38t DM 1x chainring for the gravel bike
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Stripped down M520 pedals. Replaced bearings at a cost of £5. Regreased and reassembled. Now like new. Good enough for winter bike.
  • itboffin
    I learned something new today, of my fleet of bikes three are currently Campagnolo setups, whilst out just now doing my daily exercise I found that the 34T / 11T combo the chain is at such an angle it touches the inside of the big ring and i dont mean the front derailleur i do mean the big ring, so obvs i check all three and sure enough they all do the same.

The only common factor is all three have non Campag chainsets, one is SRAM, Rotor & CAAD.

Is there anyone with an all Campag setup that can confirm this for me please?

smallest ring in the front and back, does the chain touch the big ring?

Oh and i know cross chaining is bad.
  • itboffin
    found out today that the Praxis 48/32 chainrings DO NOT work with Rotor cranks, almost crashed this morning.
  • luv2ride
    Tubeless "worm" repair on a big cut on a 48mm Gravel King SK. Hope it'll hold....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,317

Having touched in the chips on the frame and replaced the incorrect stickers I started to put this together. Pleased with it so far,need a few more bits to finish. Might change to a brown saddle and bar tape.
  • itboffin
    I actually turned an every so slightly out of true Campagnolo wheel, it’s spot on now
  • itboffin
    Jumped on the turbo this morning only to find the front mech over shifting, so far out its hitting the crankarm, so i adjusted it back inline now it wont shift up even by hand is it possible that the mech is somehow broken?

This bike has been setup just fine for easily more than five years without issue.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    itboffin said:

Jumped on the turbo this morning only to find the front mech over shifting, so far out its hitting the crankarm, so i adjusted it back inline now it wont shift up even by hand is it possible that the mech is somehow broken?

This bike has been setup just fine for easily more than five years without issue.

What mount system for mech? Braze on or band on? Sound like it maybe twisted on the mount and pokes out too far now?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Wheelspinner
    Speaking of fettling... I picked up an new/used hardtail 29er frame with really short chain stays, and built it up as a rigid bike to use as a "roadie".

Very comfy in fact to punt about, and surprisingly quick.

Just need to bleed front brake properly and see if I can find some different bolts to change the front chain ring maybe.

Needs a few other setup tweaks but so far, a fun thing.
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

What mount system for mech? Braze on or band on? Sound like it maybe twisted on the mount and pokes out too far now?

Braze on and i've tried resetting that, its almost like its no longer moving the same amount, i wonder if its the mech spring?!?
  • Wheelspinner
    itboffin said:

itboffin said:

Braze on and i've tried resetting that, its almost like its no longer moving the same amount, i wonder if its the mech spring?!?
    New bike is the only solution I think.
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

itboffin said:

Turned out that the front mech was really bent out of shaped like an egg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,317

itboffin said:

itboffin said:

You know he's right
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Worked out why the eldest's road bike can't shift into the big cogs front and rear without jamming...chain too short...ordered a new chain.
    Fitted the youngest new front derailleur twist grip, front now shift perfectly.
    On a roll so thought I would also true the rear wheel. Most of the spokes/nipples are siezed and broke a spoke. Gave up, ordered a bunch on new spokes/nipples.
  • langtounboy
    langtounboy Posts: 55
    Fitted a press fit bottom bracket for the first time to the Dolan Scala. On the test spin it was lovely to only hear the wind and the freehub.
    I'm guessing I got the frame cheap because the previous owner had almost destroyed the bearings trying to remove them.
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited May 2020
    Put a rack on my Boardman ADV. Not as straightforward as it sounds, as the seat stay stick out about a cm from the holes not leaving space to fit the rack legs up tight to the frame.

The solution is to use long bolts (from a bottle cage) and a pair of valve nuts (per side) from old inner tubes as spacers/washers.

• luv2ride
    edited May 2020
    Finally got time to fit the Absolute Black oval chain ring to the Arkose. Went for the direct mount version on Sram Rival 1 cranks. Straight forward fitting and after the first ride out today, liking it on gravelly climbs...

• luv2ride
    Changed out my leaky WTB Exposures TCS to a pair of Schwable One Speed TLE's. Painless install and easily inflated with a boost pump. Also used this for the sealant, certainly less messy

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Changed the rim tape on my rear wheel after 5 rides with a puncture in each. Was nice to complete a ride without a test of my roadside skills!
  • Wheelspinner
    Some 29’er wheels I built some time ago have been getting more use lately, found a spoke a bit loose today. Hmmmm. Re-tensioned and checked it over, seems ok. Seatpost slipping in that frame too, so have added some carbon assembly paste and tweaked the bolt torque a teeny bit more.
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Plugged a couple of holes in the daughters tubeless tyres. And found several more objects stuck in them. If the sealant hadn't run out, would never even have known they were there.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Changed the grips on the non-road bike and also for Tashwife's BSO. Much comfier and less crap all over my hands after a ride now.

Also cleaned up for sale her old (1999 we think) Claud Butler Competition that's been hiding in the rear of the garage ready to sell it on.
  • luv2ride
    edited June 2020
    Replaced rear tubeless tyre on gravel bike following several failed repair attempts. The OE 650b Byway is back on the rear, and a GK SK still on the front. Mismatched tread and coloured side walls front and back, but I think it adds to the charm! Them tubeless Byways are faster than knobbly Gravel King SKs too, unsurprisingly. Renewed repair attempt planned for later in the week once supplies arrive from CRC, but Byway will stay on for now...

EDIT: repair with puncture patch inside the tyre, then layer of old inner tube super glued over the top, seemed to work well. Held air on a rough gravel ride yesterday and still holding air today so hopefully sorted.