Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

1228229230231232234»

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited February 2022
    replaced the master cyclinder bleed screw (made of cheese) in a GRX-400 lever, after rounding the hex socket.

Involved hammering a torx bit into the hex (failed), hacksawing a slot into the screw (almost worked) and then using the lip of the slot as an edge to tap it in the opp direction, using the screwdriver, as I couldn't get the slot deep enough to use the screwdriver to turn it.

What a faff and all because the screw is very soft and the hex socket too small. It requires a 2.5mm allen key and you have to do it up so it just engages and no tighter.
  • Wasn't Fettling outlawed in the 1930's?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Put some insulting tape on the outer brake cables of the Cadex (one strip on each)
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    MattFalle said:

Put some insulting tape on the outer brake cables of the Cadex (one strip on each)

To help with cable rattle?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No - just to hold them out of the way pre 'bar taping so when I get back and take it for a spin to set the lever height they don't get all tingled tangled.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • itboffin
    MattFalle said:

No - just to hold them out of the way pre 'bar taping so when I get back and take it for a spin to set the lever height they don't get all tingled tangled.

Ah okay
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    In other news my new Cannondale Topstone rattles like a can of nails, i suspect internal cable routing but to be honest i have no idea other than its super bloody annoying.

Out of the saddle sprints or climbs and the front mech rubs to feck even with proper indexing, multiple times over and over again.
  • itboffin
    Masshoof tidy of the mancave and setup one of my spare rooms as a turbo room, I should have done this years ago both look great
  • MattFalle said:

Did you really have to hurt their feelings like that?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Finally got around to fitting the 6800 chainrings (bought in 2020 when it was cheaper than buying a full crankset?) to my Cube, along with a new chain. Gear changes all crisp again, including reliable switches between chainrings!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • What an absolute ball ache that was, just like last time, fitting the new rear mech cable on the Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016 that arrived earlier and getting the old sheared bits out. Once I finished having fun with the internal routing with seperate outers near mech and shifters (plus threading it through the carbon Primavera bars for the first time), I then had a mare getting it indexed, having played with the limiters to give me the 17T sprocket while waiting for new cable...

Ready for bed when I'm trying to perk myself up with a super strong coffee and then go for a test ride.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Post lockdown the gear outer was showing some signs of rust, the twist grip was also worn and sticky so prepped some new parts, when i took it off it was a miracle it was still shifting as about 50% of the wires in the outer were rusted through! All good now for another 4,500miles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Was not happy with the width of the handlebars on my last build, so new bars purchased. Went to strip everything off and discovered why my rear hydro brake was spongy.... big crack in the port and the other brake had a hairline crack.

Shifters sent back, replaced and new installation of brakes, gear cables, bars, bar tape undertaken Saturday. Took it out yesterday with the club and all good, the reduction in handlebar width makes it much more comfortable.
  • itboffin
    Built my old on-one inbred 26 back into a working bike, using the Deore 1x10 and some super knackered secondhand wheels. Looks great but i already feel it needs new wheels and a carbon fork.

Buy upgrades do ride them ...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    edited May 2022
    Must get around to fitting the Deda adjustable stem that I bought the other week. I've usually ran the default -6 degree stem immediately on top of the conical spacer on my 58cm Cube Attain for the last year or so, but this only puts the bar tops ~3cm lower than my saddle... There's a reason the Cube is known as my aero brick! :o

At -30 degrees the Deda will give the same reach, but lower the bars ~4.6cm, which at ~7.6cm saddle bar drop will still be quite modest by the sound of things compared to a non-sportive road bike if my lower back doesn't complain.

It will be mildly interesting to see how much more speed I get for my effort and whether a more racey n+1 is feasible, given my back problems have generally been far less of an issue in recent years.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    itboffin said:

Built my old on-one inbred 26 back into a working bike, using the Deore 1x10 and some super knackered secondhand wheels. Looks great but i already feel it needs new wheels and a carbon fork.

Sounds nice... been trying that with my old bike for years in a piecemeal fashion.. only for more stuff to break. Needs a full "triggers broom" around the frame.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

Sounds nice... been trying that with my old bike for years in a piecemeal fashion.. only for more stuff to break. Needs a full "triggers broom" around the frame.
    Very similar situation to me although i'm surprised it rides with such buckled wheels
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Everyone given up fettling?

Just swapped out 2x10 groupset with drop bar-end shifters from my ti tourer.
    Put on 11 speed r7000 shifters, Grx 46-30 chainset and grx derailleurs with 11-40 cassette.
    Good range for my riding and buttery smooth shifting. 40 cog is beyond Shimano spec but no problems at all, I suspect would take 42 if I wanted it.
    Old-school CX canti brake performance noticeably improved.

Always hated the look of the bar-end shifters and flying cables, and the newer shifters are much easier to cable than the older series.
  • I took my Boardman Hybrid bike out of storage :)
    The electric one is staying in the shed though.. why did I even buy it.. lol
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Cleaned and realigned my brake pads following 85kms in the south downs yesterday.

Also need to repair a puncture properly, so going to try a set of 28mm tyres on at the same time