Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i'm considering also doing a tubeless conversion to one of my non tubeless wheelset :o
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    itboffin said:

i'm considering also doing a tubeless conversion to one of my non tubeless wheelset :o

Given how much grief I am having with "tubeless" wheels...can't be any worse!
  • itboffin
    denis992 said:

itboffin said:

Given how much grief I am having with "tubeless" wheels...can't be any worse!
    Yeah I asked superstar components and they said officially no but stans said done correctly almost any wheels can be converted, my Ultegra still without sealant were too easy and a total fucker with a tube, my stans alpha super lightweight hand built are pretty much deadly with inner tubes so I’m excited to see what they’re like fully tubeless

1350g will be very welcome in the Italian mountains
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • denis992
    And today tubeless lesson.

If your tubeless rim tape has "sagged" into the spoke hole on an asymmetric DT Swiss rim...you ain't EVER going to inflate the tyre, not even with a compressor. The tyre bead neatly straddles the dip allowing the air to escape.

Glad I bought 66 metres of DT swiss rim tape now!
  • denis992
    denis992 said:

And today tubeless lesson.

If your tubeless rim tape has "sagged" into the spoke hole on an asymmetric DT Swiss rim...you ain't EVER going to inflate the tyre, not even with a compressor. The tyre bead neatly straddles the dip allowing the air to escape.

Glad I bought 66 metres of DT swiss rim tape now!

Double layered the new rim tape as NOW recommended by DT Swiss...tyre seated with a track pump. You can't skip on prep with tubeless!
  • itboffin
    A while back i bought 2 rolls of different width blue tubeless rim tape and have barely used it, bloody stuff has lost its stickiness.

Tubeless tape is excellent on as general purpose rim tape for non tubeless setup
  • denis992
    itboffin said:

A while back i bought 2 rolls of different width blue tubeless rim tape and have barely used it, bloody stuff has lost its stickiness.

Tubeless tape is excellent on as general purpose rim tape for non tubeless setup

At the moment I have tried DT Swiss and Mavic tape. Both are pretty good but I would say Mavic has the edge.
  • Had a rare lunchtime to myself so replaced the brake pads and cables on my Sunday bike. No beans in the cupboard though so had to go cheese on toast instead, can't win them all.
  • itboffin
    Fitted two new chains yesterday turns out both where too long, cut and refitted today, still a bit too long IMO but workable
  • itboffin
    My new tubeless setup on Ultegra 6700 wheels have held about 70% of the air i put in after a week with no sealant, just added sealant but this time getting it inflated was a lot more effort, its now pumped to 100 psi to see if it'll hold again, i had some leaking as it went on and no pop but then again neither did it last time nor my other wheelset with the Hutchinson tyres and they've been perfect.

I guess some tyre and wheel combos dont pop
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    itboffin said:

Fitted two new chains yesterday turns out both where too long, cut and refitted today, still a bit too long IMO but workable

Definitely too long if you put two of them on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    Fitted Shimano R8000 Ultegra which was mostly okay apart from the front mech clearance with my Rotor 3D crankarms was/is a nightmare finally think i have it setup but the gap between the front mech outer cage and drive side crankarm is about 1mm :s
  • itboffin
    Added a small amount of air to the front tubeless tyre are a successfully sealed puncture 10 miles into a 50 mile ride, very impressive so far.

I'm not sure if i should now remove the tyre and patch the 4-5mm hole or just leave the sealant to do the job?
  • denis992
    itboffin said:

Added a small amount of air to the front tubeless tyre are a successfully sealed puncture 10 miles into a 50 mile ride, very impressive so far.

I'm not sure if i should now remove the tyre and patch the 4-5mm hole or just leave the sealant to do the job?

For really small holes I leave it. For bigger holes I stick a plug in. I have had very little success with patches.

Our group had two punctures yesterday...I mentioned "tubeless tyres" several times!
  • itboffin
    TBH i didnt think the sealant would do its job as i remember many years ago using slime inner tubes for a couple of rides and they were useless, today i was off the bike taking a picture when it went pop, maybe i parked the bike up on something sharp but anyway a spurt of sealant spat out before i span the wheel and left it for a few minutes with the hole on the ground and that was that, added a few more PSI with the hand pump and finished my ride without issue.
  • Not strictly fettling but as I've had to clean the bikes more times in the last week due to the naff weather than I have in a long time I decided to treat myself to some new brushes.
    Quick trip to B&Q and a 15/21/29mm combination of sash brushes for getting everything sparkling again - far cheaper than the 'bike world' branded ones as well.
  • Oh......and yet another battery in the stages power meter......
  • itboffin
    Deflated and inflated my tubeless wheel after yesterday’s puncture easy as!

But why are there virtually no tubeless valves with non removable cores?

Removable cores are the work of the devil
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    itboffin said:

Deflated and inflated my tubeless wheel after yesterday’s puncture easy as!

But why are there virtually no tubeless valves with non removable cores?

Removable cores are the work of the devil

So that you can easily top up sealant without having to pop the tyre off the rim.
  • itboffin
    Doesn’t work with Stan race which is too thick and so easy to pour into the tyre why have all the hassle of valve cores coming undone PITA
  • nibnob21
    I use Stans sealant on my MTB with removable core presta valves. The trick is to use a brake bleeding syringe to add the sealant through the valve, makes life very easy indeed if it ever needs topping up. And I've never had a single issue with removable cores coming undone off their own accord.
  • itboffin
    Stans "race" sealant has bigger particles and has to be poured into the tyre as it would clog a valve
  • nibnob21
    I reckon you should probably look for a valve without a removable core.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,735
    Got a flat that didn't seal in the bike that's set up tubeless, thought I'd top up the sealant as what was in there seemed to have been sprayed all over the arse-end of the bike. Couldn't find the valve removal tool so used a small adjustable spanner, remembered the syringe was indoors after I cleaned it the last time I'd used it. Checked the tyre pressure on the shopping hack and thought I'd ride that in tomorrow and went to the pub.
  • itboffin
    Rode over a 100 miles today before noticing I hadn’t tightened both value cores
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Set the MTB up tubeless (2nd attempt on the rear), took headset apart on good bike and cleaned it up, as it was making some horrible noises.

Changed the CX crankset from 46/36 to 46/30 and took it off road; good fun but I'm still faster on the MTB, maybe I need to find some different trails but the 30T did help on some of the climbs.
  • itboffin
    New drive train on a friends bike which was frankly the most badly maintained and worn out bike i've ever seen, shocking lack of care.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just cut parts of the MiLs 'bars off with my angle grinder
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,735
    MattFalle said:

Just cut parts of the MiLs 'bars off with my angle grinder

Just enough that she doesn't notice, but they fail spectacularly when she's going down a big hill?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    maybe.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.