Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Dropped the forks out of the Full Monty and put a new lower bearing in but didnnnn't take the old one with me to the LBS so they let me take the three types they had in stock and bring the other two back, luckily the shop is only two shops up the street from home so neighbourly trust was used. This partially cured the noise I was getting so now I've go to replace the gear outer as I've had similar in the past. The bike is over a year old and ridden in all weathers so due for a few new bits.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Fitted a new pair of tubeless tyres one went on without bother, the other took three attempts including new tape and waaay too much sealant.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Afte Tuesday's fettling the bike is silent again so no need for new gear outer yet though this might be to do with the change in cable routing for the front brake cable, it now runs inside the gear/brake outer so won't rub on the frame any longer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've just started using Pedro Go chain lube which seems to work but I'm getting a black chain, cassette and rear rim after every ride, I'm following the instructions of one drop per link and wiping off the excess. That cant be right?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    itboffin wrote:
    I've just started using Pedro Go chain lube which seems to work but I'm getting a black chain, cassette and rear rim after every ride, I'm following the instructions of one drop per link and wiping off the excess. That cant be right?

Sounds like it's not the right lube for you then.

I get the black chain / everything else if the lube is too thick and / or I put too much on. Best experience has been with humble 3-in-1 oil because it's quite thin and the applicator nozzle allowed me to use it very sparingly.

When my last one ran out I bought what I thought was the equivalent but Wilko's own brand. Sadly it turned out to be a lot thicker and the coarse nozzle meant I was over applying it. Despite pathologically wiping down after application, the chain would go black on the next ride and spatter the rear rim and chainstay.

I'm now using 5W30 motor oil thinned with white spirit, applied using the old 3-in-1 tin, and so far so good. I can apply just a small drop to each roller, it penetrates quickly and the excess is easy to wipe off, and the chain stays clean and quiet. Chain wear over time will tell if it's doing a good job as a lube...
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    I've been using TF2 wax lube for a while now. nice and clean and seems to lube well. cheap so you can use as much as you like.
  • itboffin
    I back to TF2 lube as you said does the job, at least I know how to really deep clean my chain in the future without taking it off.

In other news, i've had the weirdest occasional squeaking from my Superstar arc 31 disc wheels, in the past its just been one or two squeaks on the odd ride but todays it screamed for miles, anyway i've already ruled out QR, rim tape and tyres by changing all of them, today I opened up the brake pads - nope not that either, i let out a load of air as the arc wheels max is 80 psi, nope still the same.

Well i've given up and swapped out the wheelset for Wiggles prime disc, I would like to know what it could be, its a noise like no other i've every heard, I have also taken apart the rear wheel checked and cleaned everything, bearings are perfect, no loose spokes and completely true.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Tacx vortex back and would seem repaired fingers crossed
  • lemonenema
    Replaced BB and fitted new dropper remote, £17 ztto from eBay. Can't comment on durability yet but it works nicely, good upgrade from the basic one
  • lemonenema
    Itboffin - was it front or rear wheel? If rear did it squeal when pedalling or freewheeling? I had an odd problem once where the seal on the back of the freehub was binding, even tried a new one, so I removed it and no more problem. Could be something similar either freehub seal or one of the others?
  • itboffin
    So loud i couldn't really tell it might be the back, but i stripped the rear down to the axle and checked everything
  • lemonenema
    ok, but there was nothing wrong with the seals on mine either they just started binding. Worth trying the wheel without one or more seals to see if its something that simple
  • itboffin
    Do you have superstar wheels as well?
  • lemonenema
    no it was on a DCR hub, not sure where theyre manufactured though
  • Just freed off seized brake cable on wifes bike, what a pain in the arse to do as well! Trouble is she rides approx. once a month(she runs every day) so cables prone to seize through non-use.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Spent the evening rebuilding the mtb from a bunch of bits as the primary bike hasn't been replaced yet, the backup bike has a broken back wheel, and I couldn't find my pack of spokes for it.

Means I'll have to strip it apart yet again this weekend to FINALLY replace the headset that's well and truly knackered and been on my to do list for a year, and was finally ordered on Saturday.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Cleaned my chain this evening.

That also ended up including:
    Taking the cranks out for a clean
    Taking the pedals off and regreasing to make sure they don't seize
    Cleaning crank pinch bolts
    Resisting temptation to replace the BB as the mysterious creak has gone away for now
    Tightening various loose bolts discovered on a chain guide thingy
    Taking the rear mech off as it had come loose anyway and was about to fall off
    Dismantling the rear mech to get the grass out of the jockey wheels
    Cleaning the plates and jockey wheels
    Removing cassette for a clean
    Sanding down all the notches on the aluminium freehub body that were stopping the cassette coming off
    Removing all the bits of cracked spline off the freehub body before they break off and damage something
    Looking on the internet for a new freehub body

Just a quick chain clean...
  • wolfsbane2k
    :lol:

:oops:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    Mmmm I have a bike setup dilemma, my R5 has campag 10 speed ultra torque with a long rear mech and my CAAD12 has Chorus 11 speed should I swap them over? They both work like a dream but the Chorus is marginally nicer

It's a lot of work for little functional gain and I ride the CAAD way more often
  • thistle_
    itboffin wrote:
    Mmmm I have a bike setup dilemma, my R5 has campag 10 speed ultra torque with a long rear mech and my CAAD12 has Chorus 11 speed should I swap them over? They both work like a dream but the Chorus is marginally nicer

It's a lot of work for little functional gain and I ride the CAAD way more often
    Maybe leave it until the 11 speed stuff is worn out and needs replacing then do a big swap/cascade?
  • itboffin
    No need to swap anything out really I just weighed the R5 its 5.88kg without pedals and bottle cages and that's with 52/36T chainrings and a 29T cassette.
  • itboffin
    replaced the rim tape in my superstar arc disc wheels with a layer of tubeless tape and applied a thin layer of hub grease to the pawls, a quick ride up and down the road and so far no screaming noise, time will tell. If they start howling again then its back to Superstar for a full checkup.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Refit all the garbage, sorry, 'accessories' onto the new bike, made it ready for Commuting duties tomorrow.
    Fettled seat position, handlebar angle etc until it felt right.

Started the strip down of the mtb again, after a very quick confirmation that the horrible sound from last week was because id forgotten to put anti seize on the pedal threads.
  • thistle_
    Another "quick chain clean" this evening.
    Any tips for removing cured bearing fit compound from aluminium threads where it shouldn't be?
    Going to see if boots have some acetone which might do the trick.
    new bike
    Is that the replacebt for the one that snapped the other week?
  • wolfsbane2k
    Another "quick chain clean" this evening.
    Any tips for removing cured bearing fit compound from aluminium threads where it shouldn't be?
    Going to see if boots have some acetone which might do the trick.
    new bike
    Is that the replacebt for the one that snapped the other week?

Yep, now rattling around ( or not, as it's silent, and wonderful) on one of these for the foreseeable.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Di ... 216370.htm
  • thistle_
    Yep, now rattling around ( or not, as it's silent, and wonderful) on one of these for the foreseeable.
    I'm thinking of something like that for my next commuter bike (or just a cross bike).
    Silent is good, but also bad because people complain that they can't hear you coming.
  • wolfsbane2k
    I'm thinking of something like that for my next commuter bike (or just a cross bike).
    Silent is good, but also bad because people complain that they can't hear you coming.

Having done 3 years of commuting on a road bike (25/28c) tyres,, with a 11 year old, dieing hardtail MTB for winter (snow/ice) riding, I'd decided that I wanted to simplify the garage a bit (and give me a way to re-purpose the MTB back to proper MTB duties or scrap it) and get a bike more suited to the gravel patches/ridges that build up on rural roads, I'd been looking at the options.

The "Adventure/Gravel" thing seemed to meet the criteria, and I ended up just being unable to decide as I couldn't get the a Hydraulic Disc brifter bike under cycle 2 work through Halfords in my size, so went with the diverge 2019 elite (tiagra,mechanical discs) on the plan to upgrade to semi-hydraulics at a later date, and having bought the conversion kit, never got around to fitting it when the frame snapped.

So I ended up with the bike I really wanted as a "free" upgrade, just at the risk of a serious injury in the process..
  • itboffin
    two more very short rides around the block and I think i've fixed the dreadful screaming superstar wheel noise, why havent more people suffered this?

another micro tweak to my cleats and the slight right knee niggle seems better but still a weird leg calf pain. Cleat alignment as painful as a root canal procedure.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Tightened up the stem bolts, which were only bloody finger tight, on the bike, as i found out as a went to lift the wheel over a speed bump at 20 mph, only to rotate the bars instead.
    Fettled the seat angle ever so slightly.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    New bars and tape fitted, replaced chain and cassette too plus a replacement front wheel - In the words of the mechanic "I wouldn't be happy riding it with your size"