Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:
    after a brutal hilly ride on Sunday I thought i'd better give the bike a quick clean up and whilst in the process noticed the rear brake pad just touching the tyre and the wheel not straight in the drop outs, I wonder if the steep climbs made it shift because i'm sure it wasnt like that before and the QR did seem a bit loose.

As a matter of interest what do you(and others here) class as a hilly ride? I fairly regularly find I've doing 3000-4000ft of climbing on a 40mile ride which to me is pretty damn hilly but wondering what others do.

After a rather long winded thread i think we're agreed that 500ft in every 10 miles is lumpy and 1000 is hilly

My ride on Sunday was 60 miles and 5000ft all the ascent was in the middle 35-40 miles which is on a par with a reasonable alpine day. The problem with Windshire is those climbs just come as relentless 20+% short climbs over and over with the odd long 4-6% i'd put riding here in the same class as a Belgian classic.

Same weather as well
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm in Pembrokeshire so it's all hills here pretty much which I like but just occasionally it would be nice to do a flat ride for a change!
  • itboffin
    Forget flat rides I'd sell an organ for a ride without gale force winds

Seriously the west country is easily the windiest place in the UK
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yep give me a hill over a head wind any day. Don't worry, we get more than our share of wind here!
  • itboffin
    Back in Windshire after a few days in Spain and what a surprise 25 mph W/SW wind, it just spoils a ride even if you carefully pick a route there's always going to be a sustained block headwind in every looped ride.

as far as i can remember now its been 10+ years of this constant SW wind
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    After a rough 52 miles noticed the headset was loose, re tightened but I've got a feeling ill have to take the stem off and give it and the steerer a clean, carbon bits seem to be more fiddly than alloy
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Fitted a new set of Hunt wheels and set of brake pads front and back. More fiddly than it should have been but got there in the end, skinned knuckle an all.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Cleaned regreased and adjusted headset and pedal bearings.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Repacked the boardman pedals with fresh grease. Seems to have shut them up.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Changed the oil in my lawn mower. Used some Castrol GTX that was knocking about in the garage that was so old, it proudly announced on the bottle that Castrol was sponsoring Euro '96.

Not sure how you guys manage to get so much bike fettling in. There's always so much to do with other stuff around my house.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Not sure how you guys manage to get so much bike fettling in. There's always so much to do with other stuff around my house.
    You wouldn't believe my backlog of non-bike stuff; there's literally a 10cm diameter hole in the side of my house that needs filling before Winter...

- Replaced the frame on Junior's road bike with the next size up. New cables and bar tape required, but everything else just moved over.
    - Built a new set of tubeless clincher CX wheels - just over 1300g (without rotors), pretty happy with that. Old training wheels are non-convertible QR, new frames are all through-axle, so I'll need to build another set at some point.
    Next jobs are to replace the frame on Junior's CX bike, and build up my new second CX bike. At some point I need to investigate why my commuting bike sounds like the BB is full of gravel, but that can wait...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    TGOTB wrote:
    - Built a new set of tubeless clincher CX wheels - just over 1300g (without rotors), pretty happy with that.

nice work, what workstand do you use? what components did you build up?
  • itboffin
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Changed the oil in my lawn mower. Used some Castrol GTX that was knocking about in the garage that was so old, it proudly announced on the bottle that Castrol was sponsoring Euro '96.

Similar for me the house stuff list is 12 years and counting, holes in the roof that leak into the house causing more damage with estimates of £7k+ to repair is actually one of the cheaper urgent repairs :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Spent 1 hour last night trying to find evidence of the PF visit yesterday, pushed it from inside the tyre to get it out but it was so small that I lost it again so either I've pushed it fully out or I'm going to suffer another visit wen I ridr the tyre again. :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Rhodrich wrote:

Lawn mower maintenance, now you're talking! I've got a massive garden so have a ride on mower and recently the drive belt and one of the jockey pullys needed replacing, what a freakin job. So awkward to work on! Still, big job satisfaction having done it.

Makes any bike fettling seem an utter doddle in comparison.
  • tgotb
    lemonenema wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    - Built a new set of tubeless clincher CX wheels - just over 1300g (without rotors), pretty happy with that.

nice work, what workstand do you use? what components did you build up?
    The "flyweight" version of these rims and Novatec 791/792 hubs. Both wheels are dished (due to the disk brakes), so I used 1.8mm DT Swiss competition spokes on the higher-tension side of each wheel, and 1.5mm DT Swiss Revolution on the lower-tension side.
    Truing gauge is a bog-standard Park Tool job. The fancy ones with calipers and gauges are probably a bit quicker to use, but the basic ones are fine; you just have to keep flipping the wheel over to make sure the rim's properly centred. For me, the secret of a good build is to use a tension gauge to get the spoke tensions even. I used to do it by ear, but a gauge is more precise, and you can build to the rim manufacturer's recommended maximum tension.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Took the summer bike to Yorkshire last week cos it's lighter and has lower gearing. Tuesday's weather was distinctly un-summery; spent the day in alternating rain and aggressive drizzle spraying me and the bike with gritty water and sheep sh1t.

It was still filthy when I got home, so at the weekend I gave it a partial strip-down and the proper clean & relube I'd been meaning to do for a while. Chain and chainset off for a deep clean, all the crap picked out of the brake blocks and the calipers scrubbed, wheels out and scrubbed, hubs cleaned, regreased and adjusted, bartape scrubbed back almost to its original white. Most satisfying.

My house / garden related list of DIY now runs to 2 pages, and I'm adding to it faster than I'm ticking them off. Up to now I've been telling myself I'll do them all when I retire, but now there's the very real danger I'll be made redundant shortly and I'm panicking!
  • tgotb
    keef66 wrote:
    Took the summer bike to Yorkshire last week cos it's lighter and has lower gearing.
    If it had been heavier, with higher gearing, you'd presumably have taken it to somewhere like Suffolk?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Tried fixing some squealing disc brakes with virtually no stopping power on a bike last night.
    It was the first time one of them had been bled (in about 8 years) but not much air came out of either and the lever felt rock solid against the bleed block.
    Rotors were cleaned, pads were sanded lightly and if anything it's worse than before.
    The front rotor is spectacularly lipped, and scorched so that's getting swapped tonight, and I'll be sanding a chamfer onto the leading edge of the pads (instead of the trailing edge as I did last night by mistake) but not holding out much hope.
  • keef66
    TGOTB wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Took the summer bike to Yorkshire last week cos it's lighter and has lower gearing.
    If it had been heavier, with higher gearing, you'd presumably have taken it to somewhere like Suffolk?

:D The heavier, taller geared winter bike did indeed stay in Suffolk. Although to be honest, there's not much in it. Maybe a kilo heavier and a couple of teeth?
  • itboffin
    I finally swapped out the back Superstar ARC 30 wheel on my CAAD12 because its been sounding like a badly sprung bed for months, sure enough the Wiggle prime replacement is totally silent, so now i'm wondering what's making the Superstar wheel so noisy?

Last weekend i stripped the cassette and cleaned the whole thing plus the wheel including swapping out the rim tape.

Spoke tension feels fine and the wheel is true, the rotor is also straight and firmly fixed.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stripped down all the running gear on my Felt F1 as it was pretty gunked up, creaky and not shifting.

Degreased, re-greased chain, chainset, front and rear mechs and re-assembled . Running beautifully on the commute in, but still creaking. Think it may be the saddle or pedals?

Now to strip down the commuter!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Stripped all the accessories off bike 3 and placed it on bike 1 in preparation for a warranty replacement of the frame.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    what frame?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    itboffin wrote:
    what frame?

Diverge E5 Elite 2019 with about 2500 km/7 months riding on the clock.
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12573143&p=20541511#p20541496
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:
    Stripped down all the running gear on my Felt F1 as it was pretty gunked up, creaky and not shifting.

Degreased, re-greased chain, chainset, front and rear mechs and re-assembled . Running beautifully on the commute in, but still creaking. Think it may be the saddle or pedals?

Now to strip down the commuter!
    Ok, checked and tighted the saddle, tightened bottle cage bolts and greased pedals and still creaking. What next?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    elbowloh wrote:
    Ok, checked and tighted the saddle, tightened bottle cage bolts and greased pedals and still creaking. What next?

Cleats
    Headset
    QRs
    Stem
    Seatpost
    Chainring Bolts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • elbowloh
    Poptart242 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Cleats
    Headset
    QRs
    Stem
    Seatpost
    Chainring Bolts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Never even considered that one.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    elbowloh wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Cleats
    Headset
    QRs
    Stem
    Seatpost
    Chainring Bolts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hate to say it, but BB?

Is the creaking regular and at the same point in the revolution of the pedals? Can you make it creak just by sitting on it? Same in each gear / chainring? Seated or standing? Can you swap wheelsets to eliminate them as a possible cause?
  • elbowloh
    keef66 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Cleats
    Headset
    QRs
    Stem
    Seatpost
    Chainring Bolts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hate to say it, but BB?

Is the creaking regular and at the same point in the revolution of the pedals? Can you make it creak just by sitting on it? Same in each gear / chainring? Seated or standing? Can you swap wheelsets to eliminate them as a possible cause?
    I think the BB is ok, all greased and lovely.

Its not regular for sure. Seated and standing both result in creaks. Certainly more creaking the more effort i put in. Same pretty much in all gears. Unfortunately i don't have any spare wheels.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk