Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Raining last night so I took the winter bike out to climb a few hills. It is indeed now shifting sweetly in all gear combinations. I do love a properly adjusted drivetrain which just purrs. The factory lube on the new chain is probably contributing.

In the lowest 36x36 combination I can sit and spin up stuff I normally had to get out of the saddle for, but at times the Garmin was telling me I was doing 5mph, or auto-pausing itself. Wonder if it would help me get up Rosedale Chimney now??
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Replaced jockey wheels on a Tiagra 4700 rear derrailleur. That messed up the shifting, which I sort of fixed by readjusting the cable tension. It's almost great, except I get some slipping on small-small combinations (say 34x14 or 34x12). Shifting in the big ring is sweet, though, and I've gotten rid of a nasty sqeak of death that had been pursuing me for a while.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Okay what is going on here with this turbo tyre?

https://pasteboard.co/IicIwYH.png
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Ginormous power causes the rubber to blister at excessively high T?
  • itboffin
    DrHaggis wrote:

This is obvs the correct answer 8)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    DrHaggis wrote:

Too much friction between tyre and roller on turbo so excessive heat build up cause tyre is going too slow, ITB needs to pedal faster to cool tyre :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Checked headset bearings this morning on my Canyon, it has the utterly crap Acros ai-70 bearing tension system. As it happens bearings seem OK so just cleaned them in-situ and re-assembled everything but the ai-70 system is so crap. Plastic rubbish, bound to fail one day after adjustment.
  • itboffin
    I'm right pleased with myself for taking an old broken ipod combining it with a $3 garmin stick on twist mount, that paired to Tacx & Sufferfest apps I'm able to use the ipod as a fancy wide head unit and also cast the screen to my AppleTV setup, oh and I have a set of 80W speakers backing it all up.

NOICE!
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Drill a hole in a carbon frame as the internal routing for the gear cable had broken
    Much fun, not
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Slowly but surely been getting additional bit to fit the R7000 bits to my London Road over the last week or so. Tonight's job was to fit the 11sp cassette to the old 10sp 29er wheels which worked. Chain installed and rear mech stops sorted, just need to do indexing front & rear then onto dealing with the hydro brakes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    I have a squeak of some sort, not a noise i can identify BUT SUPER SUPER ANNOYING
  • lemonenema
    swapped my wifes cr@ppy suspension seatpost for a lightweight alloy one
  • itboffin
    you know when you spend 3 hours cleaning your drive chain *** THAT ***

mmmm clean like new, but how does that black gunk get so hard?
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Got through about a quarter of my brake blocks during the wet weather yesterday, so they were due for replacement by the time I got home. Replaced those, and did my chain at the same time, which was also complaining.

Bike has rewarded my by sounding like a tractor this morning when putting down the power. Might have to replace the rear cog too......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Gear cable was getting a bit sticky on the commuting bike, bar tape scruffy and chain needed replacing.

Whole thing was filthy, so I had to start by cleaning it (for possibly the first time ever), revealing a front mech that was about to fall apart. New gear cables, bar tape, cassette, chain, chainrings (experimenting with 36/46) and front mech. The one thing I didn't bother to replace was the creaky clicking BB, but that seems to have fixed itself, once again demonstrating that the root cause of a noisy BB is almost certainly something completely different...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Hadn't refitted the mudguards when rebuilding the bike a couple of weeks back. Thought I should refit them yesterday morning, very glad I did.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Does anyone else have an infestation of bike fit pixies? I think they break into my garage and make adjustments to my bikes on a regular basis.

After a disappointing ride in a race last weekend I measured up my TT bike; saddle 5mm down and 15mm back, tt bars 10deg up and 10mm forward.

Anyway, all adjusted back to my original fit. Lets see if it makes a difference this weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    Does anyone else have an infestation of bike fit pixies? I think they break into my garage and make adjustments to my bikes on a regular basis.

After a disappointing ride in a race last weekend I measured up my TT bike; saddle 5mm down and 15mm back, tt bars 10deg up and 10mm forward.

Anyway, all adjusted back to my original fit. Lets see if it makes a difference this weekend.
    Yes. My bikes are fine, but someone keeps lowering the saddle on Junior's bike. In fact the frames seem to be shrinking too, which is strange as she never washes them...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rhodrich
    Rear cog now replaced with one from the stores. No more tractor sound. Peace and zen restored. I guess the old cog had about 10,000km on it, and had got through about 5 chains, so it had had a good innings.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • lemonenema
    That's a lot of milages to be fair!

Replaced v brake cables on wife's bike, super sharp now.
    Swapped the 12t on my 12-36 cassette for an 11t (and lockring) for slightly bigger range
  • itboffin
    My now 11 year battle with Garmin devices continues in the form of so called corrupt invalid files which arent and very particular USB cable/port combos when attempting map updates.

Left it running overnight, what could possibly go wrong :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Offered my Canyon Endurace frameset to the club before sticking it on eBay and I thought I'd have a dig around and see what else I could get rid off.

Found a saddle, seat post, single speed levers, brake calipers, Sugino Messenger crankset, JIS bottom bracket, brake cable set and bar tape.

Bought a chain tensioner and 16t sprocket for a spare set of wheels I had.

I now have a new old single speed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Not sure if it counts as fettling but I changed both tyres on Sunday.
  • rhodrich
    Changing both tyres definitely counts! Bonus points for telling us what tyres you changed to.....

Meanwhile, in my Man Cave, I replaced the balls in the rear hub on my Pete Luxton, and cleaned and regreased everything. No more wobbly back wheel, with worrying graunching sounds.

Car wise, I trickle charged the battery on my 1965 230SL that I've not driven for 2 years, and she fired up without a problem. I plan on moving all the accumulated junk from around it, and giving it a good service and run before I head off to Ireland. At the very least, it'll have:
    Oil + Filter Change
    Grease service
    Brake/Clutch fluid change
    Replacement centre track rod + ends (advisory in last MOT), plus tracking.
    These cars don't like to be sat for long periods, even if they are stored in a heated garage.

One of these days, I'll also get round to replacing the engine in my 1968 VW Microbus too, as the existing one has low oil pressure, and I've got a freshly built one ready to go in. Not sure that'll get done before Ireland though.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    New rear tyre on mine this morning (Schwalbe Lugano was all Halfords had readily available) as the old Giant original finally gave way. Should have replaced it a couple of weeks ago but never hit buy! To make it worse the levers broke when trying to remove it :evil: :evil:
  • I replaced the Conti GP4000iis with...new GP4000iis.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've now got the giant hydraulic set in my hands, but not a suitable stem yet, so had to give the existing brakes a good look over as they'd completely lost the ability to stop anything last week.

Gave the brakes themselves and the discs and pads a quick scrub clean with water only - and after a quick dry the difference was remarkable...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    after a brutal hilly ride on Sunday I thought i'd better give the bike a quick clean up and whilst in the process noticed the rear brake pad just touching the tyre and the wheel not straight in the drop outs, I wonder if the steep climbs made it shift because i'm sure it wasnt like that before and the QR did seem a bit loose.
  • lemonenema
    Might have shifted under power, reseat the wheel in the dropouts and make sure your skewer is clean and tight
  • itboffin wrote:
    after a brutal hilly ride on Sunday I thought i'd better give the bike a quick clean up and whilst in the process noticed the rear brake pad just touching the tyre and the wheel not straight in the drop outs, I wonder if the steep climbs made it shift because i'm sure it wasnt like that before and the QR did seem a bit loose.

As a matter of interest what do you(and others here) class as a hilly ride? I fairly regularly find I've doing 3000-4000ft of climbing on a 40mile ride which to me is pretty damn hilly but wondering what others do.