Riding Mates around Manchester about 16

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Whytepeak wrote:
    I'll come if i can get the weekend off and if you can put up with a 24 year old, unfit smoker :lol:

You're more than welcome, though it's our first time at Hebden Bridge (how exiting), so it'll be a Wallace and Gromit style 'find trail as we ride' day...

draft_lens2332530module13127548photo_1229854935Gromit_train.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    jay12 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    I'll come if i can get the weekend off and if you can put up with a 24 year old, unfit smoker :lol:

You're more than welcome, though it's our first time at Hebden Bridge (how exiting), so it'll be a Wallace and Gromit style 'find trail as we ride' day...

draft_lens2332530module13127548photo_1229854935Gromit_train.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

liking that Whytepeak

If there are many going on the train we may have to stagger it when we leave Manchester as the Hebden trains really do have spacwe for only 2 bikes. Obviously if 3 go it is ok but if it gets to like 5 people then we may have to go on different trains. However this does nto matter that much as there is a train every 20 mins
  • Would you be willing for a 26 year old to come with you, or will some people at westminster have me arrested for one reason or another? :lol:
    If you allow me, then I may even be able to guide you in a good direction as I've been once before (and think I remember the way ;):lol: )
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    If you allow me, then I may even be able to guide you in a good direction as I've been once before (and think I remember the way ;):lol: )

Sounds like an offer we can't refuse :wink:

We would have no idea where to go :roll: , so any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Having said that, the weather is looking pretty bad for Lancashire at the moment, not sure how hebden is, but 2ft of snow does not appeal, so we'll have to watch the weather.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    Whytepeak
    +1

If it is really bad I think it is best not to go
    If there is a bit of snow we can go and then always turn back if needs must

We won't be daft though and go up in really bad weather cos if we get into diffioculty its not just our lives at risk but the mountain rescue guys aswell
  • Whytepeak wrote:

Sounds like an offer we can't refuse :wink:

We would have no idea where to go :roll: , so any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Having said that, the weather is looking pretty bad for Lancashire at the moment, not sure how hebden is, but 2ft of snow does not appeal, so we'll have to watch the weather.
    Makes sense to me, the weather is pretty bleak at the moment. I can keep an eye on it though as I head over the M62 most weekends, gives a good indication of what it's like usually.

I won't profess to knowing an exact route, but I can certainly get us round a little bit. I think I even have an OS map of the area too.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Whytepeak
    edited January 2010
    thekickingmule

That'd be great, hopefully the weather should sort itself out and clear some of the snow, so it ain't so bad by the time we go.

Any knowledge of a route would be great.
    Will look forward to riding with you anyway, there could well be a good group of us for this ride :) .

We take it that the old people (comparatively speaking :wink: ) are travelling by car.
    Us elixirs of youth will be travelling by train, so a staggered meet up is to be expected :roll: :lol: .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    thekickingmule

Yeah I also have an OS map and will bring that
    Keep an eye out for the weather on M62 :shock:

Whytepeak
    Yeah staggered meeting will be needed due to space on trains and the number of us young 'uns on the train as the trains only allow 2 bikes on the train :roll:

I'll post train times in the week before once we have decided that we are going bu they are 3 per hour (ie every 20 minutes) so it may be a case of just turning up
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    no can do due to my build.sorry guys
  • compo
    ok jay12 no worries - maybe when you have completed it :)

It doesn't look good weather wise tbh so what about changing it to going to Rivington now Jay isn't coming
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    We take it that the old people (comparatively speaking :wink: ) are travelling by car.
    Us elixirs of youth will be travelling by train, so a staggered meet up is to be expected :roll: :lol: .
    Old people!?!?! When I were a lad, we had respect for those with greater experience... old.gif;)
    I will be travelling by car, if it goes ahead. As stated, it might not be looking too good though, as it's still snowing over the hills at the moment.
    I'll keep an eye out.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Whytepeak
    :lol:

Fair enough, we'll se how it goes, the likelyhood of a ride is looking increasingly improbable :(

Damn you Snow!

grandpa-simpson-shakes-fist-at-cloud.jpg
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Yeah the weather is a problem atm, but after the 28th I will be out riding regardless of the weather. Just gonna get these exams out of the way and then thats it for me.
  • Alright guys. Would be up for coming out with you. Bit older than you lads (27 this month) but would do me good to try and keep up. Ride at rivvi mainly been down to macc forest a couple of times. Got a car so happy to give lifts to anyone local. Will keep an eye on the forum cos i dont think there is much happening in the next couple of weeks.
    I'm bored of the snow now. Cheers . Del
  • StealTheR
    Yeah somethings bound to be happening in the next couple of mate, we'll keep it updated anyway and let you know.
  • Whytepeak
    Good to hear from you Stealther, like the frame of mind, can't wait to get these exams out the way :) .

Hello Kona Del, you're more than welcome, I'm sure that there will be a ride, even if we have developed a habit of planning to get out as a group, and calling it off :( .

If there is a ride planned, everyone must know :) .
  • Cheers for the replys guys. If anyone is riding at rivington anytime or anywhere round bolton then PM me and i will come along, just built a new bike and dying to try it out on somthing more technical than my street.
  • compo
    Kona Del
    I live in Westhoughton so regularly go up rivi
    Will be happy for a ride :)
  • hi all

i have just been reading through the above thread and live in bury so next time you guys are planning a group ride and if you dont mind a 33 year old tagging along with you PM me and if im free i will com e along
    2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

2008 Gt Avalanche 1.0

2010 Trek 2.3
  • compo
    Xxthreelionsxx
    You are welcome on all rides :)

No need to PM - just check the trhread and pipe up if you are coming :)
  • Xxthreelionsxx Where abouts in Bury are you? I'm near Walshaw (well, at weekends I usually am). Sod all bridelways around here though. I can't believe it! I may have to write a strongly worded letter to the paper old.gif:lol:

I'm not far from Rivington. I cycled up near there a couple of weeks ago, but as I'd forgotten my camelbak, had to turn around. I will have to meet up with some of you to show me round Rivi area.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Whytepeak
    Right that it, if no-one else will start a rivi rides thread, looks like I'll have to myself... :lol:
  • StealTheR
    If we do Rivi, we have to do the one with that downhil part, towards the right of the big mast. I love that so much.
  • Whytepeak
    StealTheR wrote:
    If we do Rivi, we have to do the one with that downhil part, towards the right of the big mast. I love that so much.

Do please use the thread provided :wink:

That is a brilliant DH, the other one starting further down the road ain't bad either.
  • compo
    Whytepeak wrote:

What if there is a Manchester 16 ride around Rivi?
    Do we post in this thread or the other one? :lol; :P
  • Whytepeak
    compo wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:

What if there is a Manchester 16 ride around Rivi?
    Do we post in this thread or the other one? :lol; :P

You sit on the floor having a mental breakdown, furrowing you're brows in a vain attemp to understand the situation. :lol:
  • hi all

i have just been reading through the above thread and live in bury so next time you guys are planning a group ride and if you dont mind a 33 year old tagging along with you PM me and if im free i will com e along

Don't worry im another old fart 9 years behind you at 24 :lol: Not far from you if your near Holcombe either. I'm not far down Bradshaw road in Harwood :)

Lets get a rivvy ride together this weekend lads as the snows melting.
  • Whytepeak
    Rivi ride this weekend then, on the 23 Jan.

As Hebden seems a bit snowed in - unless we can get an update with the weather. It's about time we went up Rivington again, it has been a while.
  • Sounds good to me :) time?
  • compo
    Went over M62 yesterday
    In the morning there were about 4" of snow
    At about 7.30 there was extreme fog with visibility down to 1 lamppost away ie V Dangerous :lol:

I was gonna suggest Rivington anyway as I can see it from a 2 minute walk from my house and its A-OK

Any more info on the ride i'll aim to post in the rivi/nab rides thread