Riding Mates around Manchester about 16

Comments

• I love riding round Hayfield, I'm up for that as well.
    Trek Fuel EX-9 (2009)
  • sounds good :D
    cube acid
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    wow, there seems to be alot more people now :D
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Be good to get some rides out with you lads. Going up Rivvy tho Boxing day me thinks if anyone wants to come?

Might be up for that actually... I'll see if anyone else wants to come too. :D

Hello and welcome to lancs boy and Northwest Trailrider. I take it the hayfield ride will be a popular one to do? :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Wow yeah Jay - there is

Hi everyone :)

I thought that the peaks/hayfield ride would start at edale so that we could get there easily on train or so there is somewhere to park the car

I have worked out a route round there taking in mam tor, jacob's ladder and other features so wouldn't mind if we went there
  • jay12
    mw and whyte have worked out on the train planner that if we go to new mills station(near hayfield) i (and you) would have to wait less at the mancs poicaddily sation to change trains
  • compo
    Ah - bt the trains going to edale have better bike facilities whereas new mills trains dont have any whatsoever so imo edale is better
  • Whytepeak
    Well if you wan't to share the route with us compo...

I've got my own ideas :roll: , so I'll make up a route soon...

As for the trains, it dosen't matter really. As long as Jay dosen't have to wait for an hour at piccadilly, even if it means taking a train that isn't ideal for other reasons...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I'm in work Boxing Day, but free after that really
  • jay12
    StealTheR wrote:
    I'm in work Boxing Day, but free after that really
    i'm free when i buy the new bike(february). i'm at the stage of arranging a funeral for my raleigh :(
  • compo
    What about next tuesday (29th)

i'll try and do the route on bike map if i can
    i'll name it 'manchester 16 group ride'
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    Ah - bt the trains going to edale have better bike facilities whereas new mills trains dont have any whatsoever so imo edale is better
    no it's not. the shortest it takes is 2:55 hours and the longest 3:15 houres. i could probably cycle there faster :roll:
    whereas to new mills it's between 1:18 hours and 1:53 hours
    from greenbank
  • compo
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/edale/893126140333268250

Right- thats the ride

about 10 miles with many a steep climb, challenging ,steep dessent and also some single track
    There's an old quarry/mine I know of which may be suitable for messing about in (don't worry - its safe) and also a pub, cafe or two if we want lunch like that in Castleton. Overall - a good day out :D

1hr 45 from Daisy Hill - so its far quicker than Delamere
    from Greenbank I make it 2hrs - shorter than it takes us to get to delamere
  • compo
    Jay can leave greenbank at 0932 and we all arrive there - having met at piccadilly- at 1130

its only 2hrs jay - we travel about 3 to get to delamere
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    Jay can leave greenbank at 0932 and we all arrive there - having met at piccadilly- at 1130

its only 2hrs jay - we travel about 3 to get to delamere
    no kidding?
    anyway thats 4 hours there and back just travelling not mentioning it's a long way so anything cold happen plus then about 4 hours riding? so dunno if my parents would allow me to go with a bunch of 16 year olds to a place riding in edale.

we'll see when i get a bike :wink:
  • jay12
    btw, where on that is jacobs ladder? isn't that on the other side of the railway?
  • compo
    1st post - gd point jay - but you can always ask, or just say you're going to Delamere ;)

2nd post - its coming on a second route soon :)
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    1st post - gd point jay - but you can always ask, or just say you're going to Delamere ;)

2nd post - its coming on a second route soon :)
    lol. i'll just say that you had a fall and i had to go to hospital with you :wink:
    good, i always wanted to have a go at climbing it
  • compo
    This is the ride to jacobs ladder
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/edale/852126141101957150

I would honestly do this in summer as it is longer at nearly 13 miles and has no places to stop and is out in the wilds more
  • jay12
    it's pretty good buit it's impposible to ride up the actuall ladder so there is a way around it but all it is a a left turn where the ladder starts. i'v been there and seen it and also thats what mbr did
  • compo
    Well the route can be done either way and there are two routes around the ladder

I didn't know about it being one way tbh
    Thank for the heads up Jay :)
  • jay12
    no problem. the hardest part would be the rocks. it is very rocky so will be a challange
  • Whytepeak
    jay12 wrote:
    no problem. the hardest part would be the rocks. it is very rocky so will be a challange

It is very very rocky around the ladder area, so I'll take a spare tyre, and loads of tubes.

A few xc snakes have claimed to have completed Jacob's ladder, but as far as I know, no-one has... (its much better in reverse :lol: )
  • jay12
    Whytepeak wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

It is very very rocky around the ladder area, so I'll take a spare tyre, and loads of tubes.

A few xc snakes have claimed to have completed Jacob's ladder, but as far as I know, no-one has... (its much better in reverse :lol: )
    they have. nick craig that came there with the mbr group(july magazine) did it and quite a few more but he is a sponsored racer that even had LTD edition hope green stuff on his bike. i think alot of people could climb it but the challange is that you have to do it without stopping.

a few tips for it:
    run low pressure in the rear tyre about 20psi or less
    if you can, lower your forks to minimum travel (as said by nick craig)

it's a whole article about it, a good read and also there is a bike shop called 18 bikes in hope. a few miles from edale
  • compo
    yeah - but there is also the trusted TS Brookes & Co in Walkden :P
  • compo
    Sorry - can't make Delamere on Monday 28th :(:mrgreen:
    But am free on Tuesday 29th :)
  • compo
    Jay - you posted some pics in the winter riding thread

Where were you riding?
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    Jay - you posted some pics in the winter riding thread

Where were you riding?
    a wood 50 meters from my house. :D
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    edited December 2009
    been looking around for some routes and there's one in Macclesfield I have done a few times it's really good and has lots of climbs and downhill.

I'm thinking if everyone is up for it we could go there in the new year sometime.

Plus, there's to many dates and rides flying around here. I'm losing track a bit aswell with whats happening on facebook as regards the 30th and stuff.

But this Macclesfield ride I am suggesting is immense. I'm thinking a weekend in January when everyone is free and it gives me plenty of time to plan it, as I will be able to get a map of it off a friend.

Cheers

Edit: People have exams in January aswell, so do I, so maybe early February if its a problem
  • compo
    I am up for January - but towards the end as I have exams which finish on the 18th