Riding Mates around Manchester about 16

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Whytepeak wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Trip to delamere being planned for the week 22nd - 29th of august.

More xc and trail orientated under the instruction of jay12.

and maybe a bit of jumping and 4x too...sur mon instruction :lol:
    we shall divded that in half as i want to do some jumps :)

thats a good attitude - we'll do a bit of everything :)

The 4x track there is great for beginners as you can roll the whole thing (except for a couple of lines). Even compo can get through. :lol:
    woo hoo :D
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    That would eb the week i'm on holiday then :(
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Well that has snuffed out that idea :lol:

Still, when compo and jamazin get back from holiday, we can have a group ride. :)
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    I get back on 29th August
    Back to skwl following Thursday 3rd September
  • Whytepeak
    Loads of time then :roll:

So about the 31st (Monday) or the 1st of September then
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • compo
    31st is bank holiday so no trains and also very busy

1st september sounds good atm
  • Whytepeak
    tuesday it is then...

This time though we should make the train with plenty of time to spare :lol:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Agreed.

in 3 weeks or so, we'll organise a delamere ride. all teens welcome (even delcol :lol: )

mr delcol really should pay attention. delcol just read ride and manchester, did not pay attention to the 16 bit.
    never been to delamere but my wifeys son raves about the place he goes there quite often with his knob head of a dad.. mr delcol probably wont make it as he will be working :cry::cry: and the week after he off to whistler for 3 whole weeks of downhill pleasure...
    mr delcol has both van and car.. advantages of being old.. well oldish. :roll: :wink:
  • jay12
    delcol wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Agreed.

in 3 weeks or so, we'll organise a delamere ride. all teens welcome (even delcol :lol: )

mr delcol really should pay attention. delcol just read ride and manchester, did not pay attention to the 16 bit.
    never been to delamere but my wifeys son raves about the place he goes there quite often with his knob head of a dad.. mr delcol probably wont make it as he will be working :cry::cry: and the week after he off to whistler for 3 whole weeks of downhill pleasure...
    mr delcol has both van and car.. advantages of being old.. well oldish. :roll: :wink:
    you could could come some other time as long as you don't rape us :oops: have fun in whistler 3 weeks sound so good. wish i could go. oh well maybe in the future
  • Whytepeak
    delcol

You are most welcome. :D

This ride should come together. So far we have:

Jamazin
    jay12
    compo
    StealTheR
    and me :)

Enough people for a 4x race :D (and a marshal)
  • jay12
    Whytepeak wrote:
    delcol

You are most welcome. :D

This ride should come together. So far we have:

Jamazin
    jay12
    compo
    StealTheR
    and me :)

Enough people for a 4x race :D (and a marshal)
    i think if thats the case then we have one person at the end to see who wins but each time it's a different person so we all have a go at being a marshall. problem solved :)
  • Whytepeak
    The end of the track is a bit sketchy :lol:

There should be a clear winner though - everyone else will have fallen off

This is what I have learned from the track guru -

The original 4x track at delamere was the real deal. However one guy had an accident there (broke his collarbone on a jump) because the jump had collapsed (due to rotten wood). Quite a lot of xc riders end up on the track of one of the trails, and they normally come off on the triple.

Due to that all jumps with wooden mills in them (the whole 4x track and the dirt jumps) were knocked down by the council. The duel track wasn't knocked down, but it is in a bad way.

The 4x track that has been built in its place is almost as long, but the jumps don't span the whole width of the old track. This is so it can be rebuilt quickly if the council diggers come again.
    This means that there are only really two racing lines. There is only one line into a step down then a corner, as me and Jamazin found when we were racing :roll:

There is still quite a lot in the cycle skills area, although some of it is in a bad way... especially the roadgap and some of the downhill trails, they can still be ridden though. - as me and Jamazin proved to some awestruck dirt jumpers :lol: .
  • Whytepeak
    Good ride today,

Thanks to StealTheR and compo for coming out despite the dire weather predictions, although the worst of the rain held of, luckily.

Work will continue to manage the trails in the woods - planning a new section as we speak and I may organise a couple of dig days.

The trails were fairly dry, and the jump spot was fun - until one huge crash (hope you are feeling better StealTheR :) ) oh, and get some new tyres :lol:
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they are shocking in wet conditions.

Gotta love the crash though, just my arm and my hip that's bad. Got the bike, just don't got the skills.

I can't even clean my bike aswell. I can't hold anything in my right arm.

I never fell off my old bike like I did this one, prolly' still getting used to it.
  • compo
    Hope you are ok StealTheR

you might want to check out your helmet - there might have been a crack but at least it wasn't in your head :)

Moral of the Story: Dont be pressured by midgets :P
    Only Joking - get well soon
  • StealTheR
    I had a look at my helmet it seems fine, just this red stuff on it. But it's not blood. Weird.
  • StealTheR
    Yeah it was gutting for me lol.

Oh well, lots of days off from work :D
  • Whytepeak
    bigwehttam

We'll be organising more rides in the future - stay tuned...

Everyone still up for Tuesday 1st of September?
  • jay12
    i want to come. i'm in man :wink:
  • Whytepeak
    jay12 wrote:
    i want to come. i'm in man :wink:

k dude :roll:

You have to come or we'll have no chance of finding anything other than the 4x track :roll:
  • StealTheR
    Yeah I'll be there mate, I'll get in touch nearer the time.
  • Whytepeak
    Good to hear that StealTheR :D

BTW did you use clippy pedals with your old bike?
  • StealTheR
    Yeah I did, but I sold my old bike a few weeks ago.

I could buy some flat ones and I would feel more comfortable on home-made jumps. lol.

But you get used to SPD's in my opinion and it'd be hard to go back.

Also what's the plan next week as regard trains? Money and so on?
  • Whytepeak
    Get a train at 10:17 from manchester. Get to delamere at about 11:30am.

Take a bit of money just incase we need to buy something. But i'm going to take a lunch with me. The cafe there looked strange :roll: Plus the less time we spend eating, the more time we spend riding.

Then we leave about 5, get back about 6 (after the commute), and get the train home...

We could leave earlier if people want, but we have a lot to fit in.
  • StealTheR
    Don't you need to book tickets though for a train if your taking bikes on?
  • Whytepeak
    Not with certain trains. If it is a northern rail train, there is no need to book bikes.

The 2 bike limit dosen't apply to the delamere train either :)

EDIT - all the trains we are taking are Nothern rail, so its ok :D
  • jay12
    i might go on the train to. ii leaves in hour intervals (certein hour and 17minutes) i'll set of at 11:17 and be there at 11:30. the trains leave at 25 past each hour so at 4:25 i would have to be at the station
  • Whytepeak
    jay12

That seems ok Jay12 we will get to delamere st. at 11:26 - so see you there :D
  • Whytepeak
    Managed to get hold of some routes, whilst they are mostly on forest roads, they do reveal little bits of trail that may still exist.

Check them out - be warned that they are pdf files!.

10 mile delamere route

11 mile delamere route