The Fat Club

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    looks like ya havin fun chap lol. i cant wait till i get dwon to 18 stone budd. mnd you i am sat eating a bag of prawn crackers witch aint gonna help
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yep, fun indeed. Problem at that point in the ride is..... Turn round and go back the way you came... Which you can just make out where the trail is at the top of the pic... and Me at 18St + camelback+ 32 lb of bike... Oh, its a slog ah tell thee! But soooo worth it for the looooooooong descent off the other side!
    RE your target weight, I wouldn't mind betting you do better... Once the weight drops (I was originally 22St years ago) you get faster and better able to ride for longer, and the weight should still come off fine! :)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • XxxBFGxxX
    rartty that looks a hell of a place to ride mate.

i keep meanign to look at my diet. when i do its gonna fal of again. i knw i wil hit target weight. But in doing so i will be so bloody fit i can go out nw and ride 40 mile and it feels like ia int rode fook all. dont know why i can i just seem to be able to do it fine.
  • ratty2k
    I imagine Southampton to be pretty flat? Similar to where I live in Cheshire maybe...?
    Peak district and Lakes etc is a whole different matter, I can ride 30 miles on my SS road bike round here, and while tired could (and will) do it again tomorrow...
    26 miles in the York Dales near finished me, but that had 5700ft of climb as well.... and thats the big thing- hills! Momentum is easier to keep on the flat(ish) roads of Cheshire, hence the SS as it means that even daft things like bridges, and small climbs can become more of a challenge..
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    is not that fla mate we have the south downs and thenew forest. not major climbs but enought to get the sweat and heart rate going. hills do kill me but geting better i have asthma and hayfeavour so have some good days and some bad all good the fitter i get tho
  • ratty2k
    :) I'm a strict northener, so dont know about darn sarf! :lol:
    All my hoildays in this country involved going further north! :)
    But, hill is hills and if they get you working, all to the good! Hoping that all this riding will have me in good stead when we next do Jacobs ladder, 15 miles and 3700ft of climb IIRC... And gotta love the descent of Jacobs itself! 8)
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    wanna do jacobs. seen vids of it. once i finish building my marin up i amgonna enjoy it befoe i up the frame again and start again building lol
  • Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    my name is Ian, I am 41, I am 6'7 and weighed in at the hospital 3 weeks ago at 25st 2lbs

Ian
  • XxxBFGxxX
    welcome to FAT CLUB Ian your among friends here chap.

When are you planing to do this 100 mle ride chap

To be fair mate riding helped change my life for the good i was a little/big shit before a got back into riding. keep up your good work and keep us posted chap.

feel free to pm me or others if ya need any support or just a few kind words. always here to listen budd

forgot to say i am a ex security dog handler here in sotobn my self nice job but not ery rewarding. loved the dogs tho. what dogs do you train chap
  • Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    cheers. .

Ian
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    ratty2k wrote:
    Yep, fun indeed. Problem at that point in the ride is..... Turn round and go back the way you came... Which you can just make out where the trail is at the top of the pic... and Me at 18St + camelback+ 32 lb of bike... Oh, its a slog ah tell thee! But soooo worth it for the looooooooong descent off the other side!
    RE your target weight, I wouldn't mind betting you do better... Once the weight drops (I was originally 22St years ago) you get faster and better able to ride for longer, and the weight should still come off fine! :)

Where is that Ratty? It kinda looks familiar.....

I'd like to add my story to this thread, I'm 36, 6ft 5 and about 17.5 Stone in weight. Some people say I carry it well but I know what's under the baggy clothes :wink:

I used to do quite a bit of mountain biking locally and in the Peak District but that was about 10 years ago and over time guys I used to go with changed jobs, got married or had kids and generally couldn't find the time. I never got 'thin' but I was fitter than I've been in a LOT of years. 2 years ago, after taking the stairs to a meeting on the 4th floor at work and finding that I couldn't talk when I got there I decided that I had to do something about it. I joined a gym the same day and entered a 36 mile off-road sponsored event run by the British Heart Foundation which I completed after just 7 weeks of training, but it took me almost 4 hours. After not doing much biking over the following winter I tried to get back on the bike but an old knee injury started playing up and last April I had surgery to fix it. I recovered from this quite quickly and as motivation to get back on the bike I entered another sponsored event for the BHF, a 42 mile challenge event in the Peak District which I can now say was the single most difficult thing I have tried to do on a bike and to this day I don't know how I finished it, but finish it I did. I didn't sit on my bike for 4 months after that day but this year I have started again, found a few mates who have either dusted their bikes off or have bought new ones and I'm out 2 or 3 times a week, I've entered the same 36 mile event for the BHF again this year and I find that knowing that I'm going to have to get up on a certain date and ride a certain distance motivates me to get out and ride now.

MESSAGE TO ROB MAFIA: I saw you post on another thread about riding locally. I'm in Wheatley, we ride mainly in Sandall Beat woods but I've also just discovered the Red route at Sherwood Pines which I love (as long as it's not rained too heavily, in which case it gets too boggy in places). Message me if you fancy getting out sometime.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • ratty2k
    Briarquest wrote:

I have had a Trek 7200 Hybrid bike in the garage for about 4 years that has done vry little work. So around 2 weeks ago I dusted it off and started riding.

I started off at 10 miles and todays ride was 26 miles which took me 2hrs 17 mins 55 secs.

I am finding it hard going on my wrists, back and ars* even with a gel saddle and cycle shorts.

I only intend to weigh myself every month so I see big gains. But I do have a body fat measuring device which I will use every week and recalibrate each time I get weighed.

I am going to sign up for a 100 mile bike ride as an incentive to keep going. I think in around 3 weeks I am going to ride to my mother in laws which is 43 miles away.

I will keep the group posted.

Cheers

Ian

Good going on the rides, and 43 miles is a good distance to cover, I've done a 50 mile ride a while ago, and done my metric ton (100km/ 62 mile)
    Problems with wrists back and arse... Is the saddle set correctly, actually, a "gel" saddle may be part of thee problem, its a bit of a myth that padded saddles are more comfy... the gell bunches up and puts pressure on yer nether bits... A proper harder saddle means you sit on your sit bones, which is better and more comfy.
    Saddle position and bar position can play a part in wrist/ back soreness, have a play with the bar position, may need lifting a bit, you'll be sitting more upright, and will take some weight off your wrists.
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    Briarquest wrote:
    Hi,
    cheers. The one I am looking at is on the 18th of August, but if I am not ready I will opt for the British Heart Foundation Lancaster to York which is in September.

I think that if I can build up to a 50 mile ride during my schedule once per week on the lead up then August is attainable if not a little uncomfortable.

Ian

ian i do belive you will do it mate thro determanatin that is what gets me thro most days chap.

@ Cheshley i to am into the BHF stuff chap i am doingthe london to brighton in 2 weeks was lokingto do the south down runs aswell but decided i want to build my skills of road a little more before i try them. will defo sign up for next years. hopfully by then i will be typing in here saying ia m my target weight and fighting fit

Keep the shrt stories coming guys its nice to see others liek us out there doing so well
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    This is brilliant, like some sort of group therapy session LOL, the golden rule in weight loss in my opinion is just keep at it, there will be times where you seem to be making no prgress at all and feel very disheartened but brush yourself off and keep going, remember there is inch loss as well as actual weight loss and sometimes they don't happen together.

I still have a bit to go so I'll join you guys for this.

Best of luck guys.
  • ratty2k
    Cheshley

Its the back end of Cutgate, near Slippery stones... well, the final steep switchback descent with the wet bit at the bottom! :) If you are a Donny boy, you've prob. ridden it.
    My Pics !

• Cheshley
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    we need to set some rules of FAT CLUB

rule one everyone can jion fat club they just want to be a person tha needs to lose a few pounds but not want to listen to the mundane way the medical ppl tell us to lose it

rule 2 enjoy losing weight and rever to rule one

IF all fat club members agree to these rules then these are the rules.

LMFAO

keep it up new members we may end up with a sticky. it is worth it

First rule of Fat Club, You do not talk about Fat Club. Second rule, YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FAT CLUB.....

Sorry, couldn't resist and surprised no-one else had done it yet!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    your right rob its getting a better response than i thought.

i now what ya mean about an inch loss factor i have gone froma 48 inch waist to a 42-44 i am well chuffed i relay wana geinto designer cloths but there waists are normal 39inch. not long for me and i can tell ya now if i get back to lessthan a 28 waist i will be ove the mon
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Cheshley wrote:
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    we need to set some rules of FAT CLUB

rule one everyone can jion fat club they just want to be a person tha needs to lose a few pounds but not want to listen to the mundane way the medical ppl tell us to lose it

rule 2 enjoy losing weight and rever to rule one

IF all fat club members agree to these rules then these are the rules.

LMFAO

keep it up new members we may end up with a sticky. it is worth it

First rule of Fat Club, You do not talk about Fat Club. Second rule, YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FAT CLUB.....

Sorry, couldn't resist and surprised no-one else had done it yet!!!!!

i did sort of do it in the thread that starte FAT CLUB of chap lmfao. But very funny
  • Cheshley
    ratty2k wrote:
    Cheshley

Its the back end of Cutgate, near Slippery stones... well, the final steep switchback descent with the wet bit at the bottom! :) If you are a Donny boy, you've prob. ridden it.

I know it but haven't ridden it. I wanna have a go at Cutgate this Summer, I've walked a bit of it from the Langsett end to see what it's like and it looks do-able, even for an unfit bloke like me :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ratty2k
    Thats the way we ride it, out from Langsett barn, round the back to North America ruins, left and cross the moor, joins up with Mickeldon edge and then follow to Margery hill and down to Slippery Stones, reverse route for the way back, except stay straight on down Mickeldon to Langsett, gives a loooong flowy descent, more than welcome to join us next time we do it if you want?
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    were do yo actualy ride ratty.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    DW welcome to our club. Any one is welcome to jion DW they just want to lost weigth and share there exeriance with others.

Do these food diarys realy work? and do yalitrely right everything in the,. Do they sort of shame ya self into not eating the chocolate and stuff like that. Very interesting piont as a few ppl have mentioned them

Food diaries work really well for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it makes you come to terms with exactly what you're eating. People tend to vastly underestimate the number of calories they're consuming. You soon learn that having 3 coffees a day is not a problem, but you're getting loads of extra, empty calories from the sugar you put in it. You learn to make sensible choices. Swap to green tea and save your 100 calories from the milk and sugar for something else.

Secondly, it makes you think very seriously about whether you REAAAALLY want that danish/pie/kebab etc. If you know it's going to push you over your daily limit, suddenly it will lose it's appeal.

I really like the Daily Plate on livestrong.com. You can add friends who can see what you're eating. An extra reason to be good, if you know you're pals are checking up on you!

You also add your exercise to track your net calories. This allows you to adjust your daily consumption for your expenditure which is really important for keeping you metabolism up (staying out of "starvation mode")
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • ratty2k
    Most riding is done in the dark peak, but some in the \lakes, N. Yorks and Yorks Dales.. Just so many classic routes in the Peak district, and you can cut and swap bits in with others to make it all different, some of the descents are downright nuts! Cavedale in particular springs to mind, and having not done that for a while now... Have to get on to my mate and get down it, not cleared it yet...
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    DW welcome to our club. Any one is welcome to jion DW they just want to lost weigth and share there exeriance with others.

Do these food diarys realy work? and do yalitrely right everything in the,. Do they sort of shame ya self into not eating the chocolate and stuff like that. Very interesting piont as a few ppl have mentioned them

Food diaries work really well for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it makes you come to terms with exactly what you're eating. People tend to vastly underestimate the number of calories they're consuming. You soon learn that having 3 coffees a day is not a problem, but you're getting loads of extra, empty calories from the sugar you put in it. You learn to make sensible choices. Swap to green tea and save your 100 calories from the milk and sugar for something else.

Secondly, it makes you think very seriously about whether you REAAAALLY want that danish/pie/kebab etc. If you know it's going to push you over your daily limit, suddenly it will lose it's appeal.

I really like the Daily Plate on livestrong.com. You can add friends who can see what you're eating. An extra reason to be good, if you know you're pals are checking up on you!

You also add your exercise to track your net calories. This allows you to adjust your daily consumption for your expenditure which is really important for keeping you metabolism up (staying out of "starvation mode")

will check out that site wen i aint half asleep. but cheers for he info DW
  • XxxBFGxxX
    ratty2k wrote:
    Most riding is done in the dark peak, but some in the \lakes, N. Yorks and Yorks Dales.. Just so many classic routes in the Peak district, and you can cut and swap bits in with others to make it all different, some of the descents are downright nuts! Cavedale in particular springs to mind, and having not done that for a while now... Have to get on to my mate and get down it, not cleared it yet...

if i ever finish my marin of i may come up for a weekend of riding chap. could do with some proper hills
  • ratty2k
    More than welcome! :)
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    ratty2k wrote:
    More than welcome! :)

will be another month or so as i need my hope V2'sbefore i try any hairy stuff lol.
  • ratty2k
    edited June 2009
    I fitted Hope Tech V2 on the back of my Reign, spend the extra few quid and get the tech M4 for the front, oh, theres proper power there!
    My set up, Tech M4 front 185 rotor, Tech V2 rear 160mm rotor. never had any doubts about stopping! :D
    My Pics !

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    When you do, BFG, PM me and I'll add you as a friend so we can keep an eye on each other ;)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i am going tech V2 front and back with vented rotors mate. just so i can annoy my mate he cant fit them. lol and the stopping power will help me stop my weight