Comments

• Briarquest
    Briarquest Posts: 93
    edited May 2011
    Ian
  • wow - this threads taken off today...

@rockyhoppershow
    glad its working out for you mate.
    I dont think I could eat that low on my cycling days. I ususally get 1200-2000. The high days when I'm out cycling for 2-5 hours.

@ditch witch, I'm with you on logging everything that I eat for a REAL daily cal intake and also logging a daily weight. I just find it useful to notice trends and for example to see the difference starting going on a mountain bike really makes - allegedly 9lb in 2.5 weeks since starting to ride.

Actually guys - you've opened my eyes a lot. I thought I was doing well by getting up to 2hours 20min for 18miles after 2 weeks on my mountain bike. Guess I need to start upping the mileage now....
  • MAXlMUS
    MAXlMUS Posts: 39
    I have a kona hoss delux and love it....tis a very heavy bike but at my current weight its irrelavent .

I have an assortment of pains whilst riding but alwayd after the 10 mile mark.

Hands numbing and sore wrists
    Arse gets sore and numb
    Feet get pins and needles

I think all these discomforts are due to the amount of weight I am putting on them, hopefully as I lose weight and get fitter they will disappear.

Max
  • Briarquest
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    Ian
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I also swear by daily weigh ins, particularly for women, as our weight can fluctuate by several pounds a day. If you restrict yourself to weekly weigh-ins, you could weigh yourself at a low, then at a high a week later and think that you've gained weight when you haven't.

If you're anything like most people, this could send you running to the fridge.

So, if you insist on weighing yourself, do it every day.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • MAXlMUS
    I weigh my self every Tuesday.

So hopefully tomorrow will show more weight loss...I have started dieting seriously as of this week as well.....except my "Sunday at the pub blowout" :lol:

When i started I struggled at 3 miles.....now I do 15 miles every other day and everytime I go out I go that little bit farther.

Max
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I also swear by daily weigh ins, particularly for women, as our weight can fluctuate by several pounds a day. If you restrict yourself to weekly weigh-ins, you could weigh yourself at a low, then at a high a week later and think that you've gained weight when you haven't.

If you're anything like most people, this could send you running to the fridge.

So, if you insist on weighing yourself, do it every day.

I don't believe in getting weighed at all. I'll know when I've lost enough weight when I look in the mirror and I'm happy with what I see there. I only know what I weigh now cos my Doctor insisted on finding out last time I was there and I started talking about starting biking again.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Ditch Witch
    That is a very healthy attitude to take :) I weigh myself because it keeps me focused. I tend to slip if I don't.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Briarquest wrote:
    Hi,
    I was toying with removing the gel cover from my saddle and seeing how it feels. I can't get my head around raising the saddle. It is already at my hip hight when I am stood next to the bike and I think part of the problem is that my handlebars are much lower than my saddle.

I don't like riding in the rain as at my size it is difficult to get the right clothing so I have to do another ride in the morning, that way I can have Wed and Thurs off and out again Friday and Sunday.

I am working on one day on and one day off at the moment so I heal correctly. In a few weeks I will up it to two on then one off and see how I go.

Eventually I want a full MTB to go off road but want to get my fitness up and weight lost first.

I am finding the www.mapmyride.com facility is superb for logging my distances and times.

Ian

Deffo remove the cover it may feel hard (ooeerr before anyone else! :lol: ) But will be better in the long run. Saddle height should be adjusted so that when sat on the bike without flexing your hips- leg straight with your heel on the pedal. That gives you the proper leg extension, and prevents sore knees from sitting too low. If/ when you need to stop, just hop off the saddle...
    Are there spacers under the stem? you can swap them around if they are on top of the stem to raise the bar, alternatively, a higher rise stem and/ or a riser bar. Cheap and easy swaps to do.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • @ chesley
    To each their own mate. If it works for you then brilliant. But for me I like to know the cold hard numbers and how they relate to the food. I get to learn things like having 1 bag of salt and vinegar crisps can put on 5lb of weight for 2-3 days simply due to increased water retention.
    But more so, I'm so far off your mirror example that I can lose a stone in weight and not see a difference, partly because I've got so far to go, partly because its so gradual, and partly because I dont want to look into the mirror every day hoping to see something which is or isnt there and mess with my psychological wellbeing. Cold hard numbers!!!

With daily readings of cals in and worked out and matched with the weights and exercise I can see what works for me and what doesnt and allow me to adjust my routines to suit my goals.

Scales can be misleading re. fat v muscle content which is where tape and caliper measurements come in - if you want to get that into it... But for now the scales will do me!

And Ditch Witch (cool name btw ;) ) as a guy, I fluctuate by 2-5lb every couple of days - or even in 1 day - despite measuring in the same state every morning - so its not just women! ;)
  • Cheshley
    @ chesley
    To each their own mate. If it works for you then brilliant. But for me I like to know the cold hard numbers and how they relate to the food. I get to learn things like having 1 bag of salt and vinegar crisps can put on 5lb of weight for 2-3 days simply due to increased water retention.
    But more so, I'm so far off your mirror example that I can lose a stone in weight and not see a difference, partly because I've got so far to go, partly because its so gradual, and partly because I dont want to look into the mirror every day hoping to see something which is or isnt there and mess with my psychological wellbeing. Cold hard numbers!!!

With daily readings of cals in and worked out and matched with the weights and exercise I can see what works for me and what doesnt and allow me to adjust my routines to suit my goals.

Scales can be misleading re. fat v muscle content which is where tape and caliper measurements come in - if you want to get that into it... But for now the scales will do me!

And Ditch Witch (cool name btw ;) ) as a guy, I fluctuate by 2-5lb every couple of days - or even in 1 day - despite measuring in the same state every morning - so its not just women! ;)

Indeed, each to their own. I wasn't dismissing your approach, just stating an opinion :D

As you say, scales can be misleading re fat v's muscle, which is why I don't. I've only been back on the bike seriously for 3 months and I can already see my legs, arms and shoulders becoming stronger and the baggy shorts I bought 3 years ago and have never been able to fasten just about fit me, so whereas I know I'm losing fat, if I got weighed I probably wouldn't see much of a difference.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • MAXlMUS
    On the subject of saddles, I bought one of these puppies on offer at the moment and it made such a difference in comfort compared to the stock one,

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-s ... -l-ti.html

Bum still gets numb on longer rides though.

Max
  • Ditch Witch
    TLT, I figured it was probably the same for men but I have only ever really spoken to women about weight loss so wasn't sure :lol:

Ultimately, there are lots of ways to measure your progress and the scales is just one of them. I think people like them because they show the minutest of improvements, whereas, calipers and tape measures, like you say, take longer to show a difference.

Like with all things, if you understand the pitfalls of weighing yourself, do use them as a tool to learn what foods do what to your body and how you change daily or even hourly and don't use those numbers as a measure of your self worth, people would be fine.

It's only when you invest too much importance in them that one comes a cropper.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • @Maximus
    I was initially getting dead hands, but have been wearing paded cycling gloves on the last couple of runs and havent noticed as much of an issue. So you might want to try that.
    I've also corrected the seat height as it was about 3 -4 inches too low. Oops! I used the heel & straight leg measurement. Next I have to figure out the right seat position along the horizontal axis and the handlebar position. So perhaps getting the bike adjusted just right wll also help with the hands issue.

When you say you get a sore arse after long rides - how long are we talking about?
    For me a 7 hour ride will leave me tender and impact on my rides for the rest of the week.

As for the feet - my toes go numb but thats due to the trainers being too narrow for me. So its not something that stupid as well is it? ;)

@Ditch Witch - agreed! ;)
  • Cheshley
    MAXlMUS wrote:
    On the subject of saddles, I bought one of these puppies on offer at the moment and it made such a difference in comfort compared to the stock one,

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-s ... -l-ti.html

Bum still gets numb on longer rides though.

Max

Good choice, I've had one of those for a while and they are reeeeeeeeally comfy.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    @Maximus
    I was initially getting dead hands, but have been wearing paded cycling gloves on the last couple of runs and havent noticed as much of an issue. So you might want to try that.
    I've also corrected the seat height as it was about 3 -4 inches too low. Oops! I used the heel & straight leg measurement. Next I have to figure out the right seat position along the horizontal axis and the handlebar position. So perhaps getting the bike adjusted just right wll also help with the hands issue.

If you suffer with numb hands I'd recommend the ergo grips:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

These are next on my shopping list.

(other brands also available)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ratty2k
    TLS Saddle fore and aft;
    Set so when sat on the saddle, the front of your knee with the pedal at 9 and 3 o'clock drop a line down and it should go through the pedal axle... after that, then fiddle wit it to get best comfort for you.

Ergo grips are great, got them on my SS road bike and they do make things more comfortable- available in two sizes so better to try them first if you can....
    My Pics !

• Cheshley
    Hiya Ratty, just been looking through your pics. Loving the Ladybower shots, lots of memories there :o)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ratty2k
    'tis indeed a great place to ride- good pub as well!
    My Pics !

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    wow its been a busy day in fat club today.
    When you do, BFG, PM me and I'll add you as a friend so we can keep an eye on each other ;)

not a probem DW.

@Briarquest
    if ya looking for larger size cloths mate try www.cottentrader.co.uk it does some dam good cloths and water proofs aswell. may help

@TimesLikeThese
    You just need to do what feels best for you mate. dont worry what sort of mikes and times were doing chap, some ppl have prob been riding a littel longer like my self think i am coming up to 9 month ish now

@MAXlMUS
    Hands numbing and sore wrists - Try changing your handle bar rips chaps and maybe wereing some padded gloves t worked for me. still get little tingles but no were near as bad.

ars* gets sore and numb - Could be the cloth you are wereing making you to hot andsore. the numbness i think is just the weight i tend to stand up and give me arse a ittel shake from time to time to put some cerculation back.

Feet get pins and needles - i had this along with cramps in my feet turned out my shoes were to tight. also ya may need diffent shoes.

your all saying about weighing ya self. Do ya know when i have lst weight. coz my bloody cloths dnt fit. i have to pairs of jeans that i bough 9 month ago now i cant wear them cz they fall of my arse and just look way to baggy lol. do ya think the chop will have them back and refund me . lol
  • Briarquest
    edited May 2011
    Hi,
    Ian
  • XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    i tend to stand up and give me ars* a ittel shake from time to time to put some cerculation back.

ROFL - I'm just having visions of the Fat Club on tour together through a high street near you and every so often we get up and do our synchronised arse waving routine!!! :lol:

@Ratty2k - cheers for the tip mate, I'll give it a shot.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    i tend to stand up and give me ars* a ittel shake from time to time to put some cerculation back.

ROFL - I'm just having visions of the Fat Club on tour together through a high street near you and every so often we get up and do our synchronised ars* waving routine!!! :lol:

@Ratty2k - cheers for the tip mate, I'll give it a shot.

somit like.

shake it baby shake it. lmfao
  • MAXlMUS
    If I was to stand up and give my arse a wee wiggle I may well knock nearby HGVs off the roads in my local vicinity... :lol:

But seriously I agree and do the same.

Weighed myself today and only lost 2lbs...but do feel thinner and fitter!...I think i am gaining muscle (particularly my thighs) which would account for the slower weight loss. Mind you had 8 pints and a curry on Sunday....my bad :(

I seen a lot of good advice here....thanks guys!

Max
  • XxxBFGxxX
    8 pints and a curry that was aot what i had on fri night started with a bottle of voddy between 2. then sevrel pints i remember sambuca i think then hurling then keebab then hurling then waking up sunday morning. and yes all in that order.

after reeading what ppl are putting i think its time i realy start looking at my dieat more. i do tend to eat chocolate at times and my excuse for that is i will ride it of on the 20 mile i do each day. bt then if i ride it of nothing else comes of lol
  • MAXlMUS
    I used to eat enourmous amounts of food....I really have cut down since last week except for the Sunday blow out.

The plan is too eat smaller and more frequently through the day ..its the beer and wine that are my downfall :cry:

Max
  • It's one of those weeks at work for me I'm afraid. Up at 03:45 and not getting home until nearly five 'clock in the evening- I am shattered. With having to go to bed at around 7:30 in the evening I have given the gym a miss but will have to go tomorrow come what may. On the plus side I have not done too badly on the calorie intake front and have eaten very healthily. I wonder what the scales at the gym will say, these being the ones I go by. I shall let you know. I am off for a couple of weeks soon so I shall be able to get some serious miles in hopefully.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i am gonna try and get up earl in the morning to do my ride to work instead of blagging a lift thenwe are fo for a 30 to 40 mile training ride for the london to brighton. by the way early means 4am for me
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    Hey, hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread but I've just started dieting today.

I'm Owen, I'm 6'3" and currently sitting somewhere between 20 and 21 stones , I've no scales yet, but was weighed three weeks ago at 20 stone 8 pounds.

I've been biking again for around 18 months now after retiring from rugby and I've loved pretty much every minute of it, unfortunately these past 18 months I've been pretty poorly and my weight has shot up because of it. This time last year I weighed in at roughly 17 stones so it's been a rapid increase.

I need to lose the weight as I've got some gastric problems that will be eased if not cured by carrying less weight so it's in my best interest to get cracking on it. I was planning on getting out on the road as well both running and on the road bike I bought last week to supplement my off road stuff and build fitness levels, this hasn't happened unfortunately as I've managed to get tendonitis in my achilles and I can't pedal and can barely walk let alone run.

But I've got my motivation going and I'm hoping to get down to around 16 stone by the turn of the year.
  • Cheshley
    Good to have you here OwenCB, liking the avatar too, Hobbes is great!!!! :o)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill