Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Well done again all - top effort 8)

@Rolf looking for a challenge? how about the LBL 2014 all 171 miles 15,000 ft of it, there should still be places

http://www.sport.be/lblcyclo/2014/eng/parcours/

I've imported the route into Garmin and by my estimate that's a solid 11.5 hours ON the bike not including food stops or mechanicals http://connect.garmin.com/activity/423851604

grrrr bring it :twisted:

That looks interesting but I can't be doing with organising stuff at the moment. Remind me again next January! :lol:

So far I am enjoying not cycling! I have, this afternoon, logged my first 1.4 miles for the year! Currently in a solid 44th place, second from last! And quite happy with that! :lol:
    willy b wrote:
    763 hours on the bike :?

759 hours for me! :D (That's an entire month on the bike!)
    CiB wrote:
    Good write-up Rolf. well done. Well done in fact to anyone who added miles - it's about being out on the bike instead of sitting on the settee thinking about it, altho beating 10,000 miles is the other side of nuts from where I sit. :) Good stuff chaps. Some impressive numbers there.

Cheers CiB - I can assure you beating 10,000 miles is even stupider from the other side!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Briefly sat in the top 10 for the first time ever after a ride yesterday. But, after being put off by the 20mph+ headwind this morning and with a couple of days away with work this week, I won't be troubling the top 10 again.

However, I'm picking up a new cyclocross bike this week which I hope will make the winter commute more enjoyable and will help me reach this year's target of 5,000 miles (which I might have hit last year but for my collarbone incident).
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Hot Orange wrote:
    Briefly sat in the top 10 for the first time ever after a ride yesterday.

So did I, until I realised it was miles, not kilometres. :oops:

Isn't there a rule about the use of metric units? I know I saw it somewhere. :wink:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It appears i may be off of the bike for the next week....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Hot Orange wrote:
    Briefly sat in the top 10 for the first time ever after a ride yesterday.

So did I, until I realised it was miles, not kilometres. :oops:

Isn't there a rule about the use of metric units? I know I saw it somewhere. :wink:

Yep the rule is this is Britain and we use miles, this is NOT euro-land :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Yes. The rule is Use Imperial Measurements, in keeping with all the road signs in this country.
    :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    rubertoe wrote:
    It appears i may be off of the bike for the next week....
    Little toe dropped?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    On the seventh day he rested, phew! :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Watch out the Shark is coming to a top ten near you ! :twisted: :mrgreen:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Carlosdsanchez - excuse me being nosy, but what's your commute? I'm Norfolk born and bred so have a mild geographical interest...
  • rolf_f
    Carlosdsanchez - excuse me being nosy, but what's your commute? I'm Norfolk born and bred so have a mild geographical interest...

He does Norfolk to Cornwall :lol:
  • East Ruston to Great Yarmouth. Used to live in Rackheath and commute to Ipswich.... (did use the train most of the time for that though)

I grew up near Cannock Chase, it's my wife who's the Norfolk girl. We moved here from a flat in Islington 5 years ago. Never cycle commuted in London though and the few times I've ridden there I'm glad I don't have to! Used to cycle a lot until I was 17 and got a car, then didn't ride again until I moved to Norfolk.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sheesh - 1 day off and I've plummeted.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    hardly call that a plummet...

top 10 for me is always slightly out of reach
  • pollys_bott
    East Ruston to Great Yarmouth. Used to live in Rackheath and commute to Ipswich.... (did use the train most of the time for that though)

I grew up near Cannock Chase, it's my wife who's the Norfolk girl. We moved here from a flat in Islington 5 years ago. Never cycle commuted in London though and the few times I've ridden there I'm glad I don't have to! Used to cycle a lot until I was 17 and got a car, then didn't ride again until I moved to Norfolk.

Very nice - guess you'll not be entering any Strava climbing challenges though! My old man was born at Sea Palling and lived at Coltishall and my eldest brother lives at South Walsham, so I know that area quite well.
  • rolf_f
    I'll have to do something about my 27th place this weekend - I hate having to scroll down to find my name :lol:
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I have signed up. I'm aiming for a 5k year. Already going to start to roll out the excuses though, possibly buying a house for the first time within the next few month. It will make the commute longer yet take up time with renovation, so it's looking likely that early morning rides of no more than a couple of hours.
    A quick question to the previous years 10k club. How much do you eat in a day. I do less than half your amounts and eat like a horse.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Top ten again, but not for long I guess unless all those nice people above me stop riding now please :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    Widgey wrote:
    A quick question to the previous years 10k club. How much do you eat in a day. I do less than half your amounts and eat like a horse.

I find that somewhere a bit above 1000 miles in a month I change from eating my normal quite a lot for a skinny git to spending the day sleeping, working, cycling and eating.

Basically, work out how much properly free, static time you have in the day and then work out how much you can eat in those hours and you have your answer. Hope this helps! :wink:
  • I eat a lot of cake, with a few pies thrown in for variety.... Oh and beer as well, it's quite important. This helps me maintain a reasonably sized gut and my "slightly overweight" status.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • pollys_bott
    Widgey wrote:

I 'only' did 3200 miles last year, ate for Britain and still lost a couple of kgs: a typical work day will see me riding in for 7, have a bowl of muesli or Weetabix by 8, a bowl of porridge or a fry-up (rare) at 10, eat half a dozen sandwiches through the day as well as two bananas & two oat bars and I graze on a tub of nuts and dried fruit too. Ride home for a cooked meal around 8 and I'm still going to bed feeling hungry :)

"Fuel for the engine", I tell everyone who wonders how I can eat so much and stay around 70kgs. Maybe I need more protein...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'll have to do something about my 27th place this weekend - I hate having to scroll down to find my name :lol:

I know out of the top 3, it's not looking good, especially as I won't get on the bike again until Thursday; night shift in Qatar....finishing tonight thankfully.
  • Well I'm following a more structured plan this year so I don't see me staying at the top for much longer.

For instance, I'll be have an easy week every 3rd or 4th week over the next 2-3 months and then as the year progresses more intense rides and more and more days off.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • What are you training for?
    At the moment I'm commuting only, but once I've finished the work I need to do on my house I should start getting out on club runs again.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • The Cotswold Spring Classic, the Dragon and the Cotswold Autumn Sportives are the main ones.

Also Short distance, flat TTs (8\10 miles) .. but still scratching my head about these ones as although I really want to get better I'm not sure how to structure my training for these as yet - there's so many of them and they go right across Summer. I may just pick one or two to really aim for and just use the others for training.

At the moment I'm just building aerobic endurance with lots of easy rides. Trying to increase mileage\hours each week.

Will start mixing in some other routines in the coming months but I just know if I add any kind of intensity on a regular basis then I will have to have days off .. I simply will not recover enough from one intense session to another.

I do go on ride outs on a Sunday now - have been trying to keep them aerobic too (usually v. successfully) but yesterday went a bit mental .. and got involved in a race back to the cafe. Was great fun :) but totally against the plan. Must watch that and make sure it doesn't become too much of regular thing just yet (plenty of time for that later on the year).

strava profile
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Urg, snuck in a couple of Richmond Park laps on the ride in this morning, and all I have to show for it is an improvement of five lousy places with a 14 mile gap to the next one. Paying the price for writing off the w/e (despite the reasonably good, if cold, weather).
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I'm only 70kgs, well I was until Christmas when I gained a lovely 3kgs. mostly due to eating the same amount but being less active. I eat all the time, maybe more cake is the way. I do work on my feet all day so have to eat more than the normal person due to that but still it's a lot more than most.

I think to divide my spare time to food is the best option :-)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    All this moaning,

I haven't been out on the bike for over a week now. Hoping to get some bike time this week, even if its just for an hour or two. I dont even want to look at the stats.

8k is never going to happen.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • No commute for me today - waaay too icy.

strava profile
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    rubertoe wrote:
    8km is never going to happen.

FTFY :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.