Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

In the meantime, I'm glad to be in Sussex and having what I assumed would be some relatively flat, easy riding. Yet our Sunday club ride in W Yorkshire (which, to be fair, was a bit soft) covered 62 miles and 3513ft and the ride I just did in Sussex was 65 miles and 3360 feet. Not exactly a vast difference! In Yorkshire, it either goes up for a long time or down for a long time or is vaguely flat for a long time. In Sussex it is all up down all the time!

What's that? Was that a northerner conceding that the south isn't actually as soft as all that? ;)

I think the height thing may have been off somewhat as by the time it got onto Strava it had shrunk somewhat! But I do find Sussex quite hard work - particularly when I have been doing far too much!! That said, the Ribble is a lot less hard on me than the Raleigh Record Ace.......

Anyway, 12,000.1 miles as of yesterday. One more ride tomorrow (in the rain!) to make it stick! Then I'll have fun looking at my stupid stats for December....... Or should I try to pop in a quick 900 and overtake Mr B :lol:
    iPete wrote:
    Didn't want to make it easy, nearly froze to death during a puncture stop doing London to Brighton. Average temp -3 then smashed 30 seconds from my Ditchling pb that nearly broke me, a fitting way to bring in 10,000 miles perhaps?

I think it was Saturday when I met, at Cooksbridge level crossing near Lewes, a lad who had just done London and was on his way back having come down Ditchling. It was 1:30 and he had a small cateye on his backpack and a commuter type front light and about 3 hours of daylight. If he is still alive, I send him kudos!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    My target was 6,000 so stalling on 6,934 isn't that bad, well it is but..........

2014 target 7,000.

All they very best for 2014 fellow statters.
  • rolf_f
    KevEss wrote:
    My target was 6,000 so stalling on 6,934 isn't that bad, well it is but..........

2014 target 7,000.

All they very best for 2014 fellow statters.

Bit ambitious surely - that's a whole 0.2 miles a day extra you are going to have to find! :D
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    And that's my last ride of the year, a 3.33 mile blast down to the park with my son on his first road bike.

Put's me on 7081 miles for the year and a not too shabby 12th place.

My targets for next year is a top ten spot, at least one 1000 mile month, a 150 mile day and 8000 miles overall.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Seems i've pipped Deadslow by 65 miles to 4th place!

Now here's to some drinking and doing less miles next year.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Pipped to the Top 20 by 29.9 miles and currently languishing in last place for this year at present. :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So who's in 1st place this year? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Added an option to enter your ride elevation when adding a new ride. It's write-only data at the minute, I'll get round to working out how best to display it sometime, mebbee. It's in feet - leave it blank or enter a non-numeric and it defaults to 0. Shout if it causes angst.

Kudos to Will for his 2013 totals.
  • itboffin
    Just did 20.14 miles on the turbo and didnt suffer any neck pain until afterwards, some progress hopefully :?

Countdown to LBL 2014 starts today 8)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First commute of the year and no rain or ice :)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited January 2014
    I will hopefully not have a month off of the bike this year (even with the baby imminent). 8000 miles is on the cards with club runs and at least 5 centuries and 2 Audax.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Good day out on the 21 speed MTB yesterday (best I could find) but today looks like being a washout with thunderstorms and lightning currently raging.
  • Up into 3rd place! Highest I will get all year no doubt. Think I'm using it wrong though, cos don't log my commutes these days...
  • Can we stop the stats here for this year? I'm more than happy with 7th place.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Hi everyone, Happy New SCR to you all.

Just this morning I signed up to SCStats and am looking forward to a mid-table finish this year. Others that use it, do you input every ride, or just update YTD totals?

(edit) So after I RTFM properly my question is void. Sorry :lol:
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Where does one sign up, and is this where one will also find TFM?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If I do more than 9,000 miles this year everyone has permission to give me a slap, more than 10,000 again, stick a pole through my front wheel :lol:
    Where does one sign up, and is this where one will also find TFM?

Here you go...
    http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/Default.aspx
  • pollys_bott
    Thanks Pete
  • Got Cyclist Training Bible for Christmas (result!). Have now read most of it.

I then spent 3 days ploughing through different training packages* over the break looking at my training data for last year, thinking about what I want to achieve in the coming year and I had a light bulb moment. I realised that I actually like doing the miles and that doing big miles is something I want to keep on working at.

So although I may back off some of the strava climbing challenges in the interests of not over training the mileage is still on for 2014.

So 10,000 miles is the target for this year 8)

* ended up with SportTracks
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • itboffin
    New people DONT DO EEEEET :roll:

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    Well that nearly destroyed me! 1420 miles in December - I think the second highest monthly mileage posted all year. 750 miles in the last 16 days. In December, I had two days off at the start as I was away doing non-cycley things and then a day off driving down to my parents in Sussex and then the day after boxing day and the day before new years eve off. And that was it. And every other non-working day was a 100km ride. But it got me 2nd place and 12000 miles and that was worth it (possibly, maybe, probably not.....)

I don't know how I did it or why. I was only planning on scraping just over 12,000 miles but then things conspired against me. Shorter club Sunday rides and the 100km challenge in Road Cycling meant I started doing 100km rides on Saturday followed by another on Sunday - so my mileage increased as the days got shorter. A race to beat Mr Charlie Potatoes to third place on the 100km challenge had a lot to answer for. And all this meant that with barely more than 2 weeks to go I had reached 11250 miles rather than about 11,000 - and that made a difference. And then there was the Strava Rapha Festive 500. I'd signed up for it with a dismissive 'yeah, sure, I've got nothing better to do over Christmas than spend 8 days of it riding 500km over Christmas rather than watching The Great Escape and everything else I've seen before on TV' but that suddenly became something else I had to do. And it worked out that completing the Rapha Challenge and making 12000 miles would probably happen out on the same ride.

I couldn't have done anymore. I just got slower and slower and how I finished the last one, in the pouring rain, I don't know but it is done and I am glad.

And what about the bike? It is an absolute wreck now. All that West Sussex crud I had to keep picking off the bike after each ride didn't stop the front calipers from jamming, the rear calipers from not quite pulling back properly, the rear mech from getting clogged up, the front crud from wearing through, the rear crud exploding due to it getting snagged in a piece of tree and the front pads wearing through so quickly that on my final ride, there was no pad left and a rather nasty score in the rim of a thankfully nearly worn out front wheel. See pic - note lack of front pad and nice scrape across the wheel labels.....

Poor bike. But I'm not so cruel - I've only got home this afternoon but it is already stripped to a bare frame and each part will be lovingly cleaned, greased, oiled, polished etc. Will look like new by the end of the weekend so it is ready to be messed up again on Monday mornings commute.

P1000405_zpsc6797ffb.jpg

So, what can I say - I am an easy victim to a challenge. Someone says something or someone I've never heard of in another country suggests a challenge and I do it. And that's because I'm stupid.

But this is it. I've done 12,000 miles in one year. I don't have to do it again. I can't think of any other distance related challenge that is feasible so I don't ever have to do a five figure sum of mileage again! And I'll be better for it. So I'll continue to do the Strava challenges but I won't care if I fail. I'll ration the mileage and I won't go over 8100 this year. I haven't even yet logged on to SCStats 2014 (I was number one of one on the first of January last year! Hang on - that means all I did this year was go from 1st to 2nd.....) but I will do. And I hope I remain well into double figures on SCS all year.

And thanks to ITB, CiB, Will B, Charlie Potatoes, the 100km Challenge (viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12952602), Strava, Rapha for the Festive 500k, Airedale Olympic cycling club and my own stupid mentality........
  • rubertoe
    Man,

I am already thinking about Regents Park Laps to extend the commute, to maintain the position.....

how many miles is one lap of RP?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• pollys_bott
    Hell's teeth Rolf... I doubt if I've done 12000 miles in the last five years :lol: ... and I thought I was pushing it hard doing 330-odd miles in 13 days in Oct/Nov. I suppose it's all relative though, a 330 mile month was good for me last year so doing it in less than half the time was an achievement. It was all that Strava climbing challenge's fault anyway...

Seriously though, jolly well done to you and everyone else who does many thousands of miles a year.

My sights are slightly lower, 4000 miles the target for me this year.
  • itboffin
    Well done again all - top effort 8)

@Rolf looking for a challenge? how about the LBL 2014 all 171 miles 15,000 ft of it, there should still be places

http://www.sport.be/lblcyclo/2014/eng/parcours/

I've imported the route into Garmin and by my estimate that's a solid 11.5 hours ON the bike not including food stops or mechanicals http://connect.garmin.com/activity/423851604

grrrr bring it :twisted:
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Man,

I am already thinking about Regents Park Laps to extend the commute, to maintain the position.....

how many miles is one lap of RP?

nearly 3 i think.
  • rubertoe
    2.75 miles according to google.

so if i did two AM laps and and two PM laps that will take my commute to approx 40 miles a day.

Hmmmm....

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    So my final distance was 12,914 miles. Yes I know, only 86 miles to 13,000 but time/weather/family just meant it wasn't going to happen. 763 hours on the bike :?

I'm not going to pretend it was easy, because it wasn't, I was tired. Would I do it again? NO. :roll:

Well done to everybody, great work all.

Rolf - Nice write up, and a great effort for December and your final distance.

Rubertoe - DON'T DO IT. I'm now a slave to Regents Park...
  • itboffin
    WB how could you 86 miles the shame of it, thats a border line title stripping offence and using family as an excuse :roll:

tsk tsk tut :lol:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    itboffin wrote:
    WB how could you 86 miles the shame of it, thats a border line title stripping offence and using family as an excuse :roll:

tsk tsk tut :lol:

:lol: Yeah I know...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Good write-up Rolf. well done. Well done in fact to anyone who added miles - it's about being out on the bike instead of sitting on the settee thinking about it, altho beating 10,000 miles is the other side of nuts from where I sit. :) Good stuff chaps. Some impressive numbers there.