CiB Posts: 6,098
    okgo wrote:
    Yawn.
    Aw bless. :lol:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    :shock: :twisted:

you actually did it,
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • So how come OKGO is still listed?

in Other News:

1500 Miles to go to my 7k target, 3 months at 500 a month will do it should be a doddle!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB
    So how come OKGO is still in!
    Could be his last update is after July, maybe...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Why it's an issue I do not know, accept the fact people do more than you and roll with it (of that is indeed the reason bulk updates are seemingly an issue)

I update sporadically because I genuinely forget all about it for weeks at a time.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    okgo wrote:
    Why it's an issue I do not know, accept the fact people do more than you and roll with it (of that is indeed the reason bulk updates are seemingly an issue)

I update sporadically because I genuinely forget all about it for weeks at a time.

Because it's like being in a tennis tournament with someone who turns up with a squash racquet, deliberately hits the ball everywhere but where he should be aiming it and doesn't turn up to half his matches. ie irritating (nothing more, nothing less). If you aren't interested, why do it at all? If you are interested, why not at least update monthly and place entries in for each month? Everyone else can manage it - so why can't you?

And yes, I do accept that some people do less than I and I do roll with it! It's no biggie but it would be nice if you made at least a bit of an effort! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Well I jumped a few places as a result of the cull. I'm never going to trouble the top half of the board, but it's nice to see how many miles I've done. I did have rather a slow start as I spent most of the winter not riding due to my hand injury.
    Mind you, my old position doesn't even exist any more it was so low.
  • okgo
    Remove me whoever edits it.

Ta.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I was at 65th ahead of the cull. Now 58th.
    It's almost a privilege to remain on the board.
    I was tracking the average miles ytd per user but that’s far too high now.
    Can we have a monthly average field as well?
    Given the lunchtime spreadsheet I should creep up to top 50 by year end with circa 400 miles / month added in. I should pass Veronese in the park mid October time. I’ll be happy with that after taking H1 off due to health.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • rolf_f
    5milestogo wrote:

There's only 12 months in a year and, on average, your data set would only have 6 items of data in it! What would the monthly average tell you?
  • CiB
    Rolf F wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

There's only 12 months in a year and, on average, your data set would only have 6 items of data in it! What would the monthly average tell you?
    Monthly average for you, or everyone? If just you go to the link on the Add page where it says Filtered Rides Search for... and on that Search page you can d/l your stats (or anyone's in fact, it's open) as a CSV and in Excel you do what you like with the data.

There's not enough space to show monthly tots and averages (there probably is...) but equally there's not enough enthusiasm on my part to spend time fertling about with it to make it do things that Strava and Veloviewer already do a lot better. Feel free to write a better implementation; I'm not precious about it one jot. ITB should be - he came up with Plan A, before I nicked the idea when one of the kids had appendicitis and I had a few nights stuck at home whilst he recovered.

Okgo - I can hide your 2013 entry if you want. Post on here if you change your mind, or just pick up again in the new year.
  • Fair point. It would just give me something else to aim for. With the cull the YTD average has gone sky high and its nice to be on the 'right' side of the contribution. If I am on the good side of the good side of the monthly average curve - better still a 3 month rolling average - I'd feel happier with that and work a bit harder to improve the position. Just ahead of xmas a few years ago I dropped it all into a spreadsheet and added on occasions half a dozen miles onto the commute each day which saw me gain 6 places. All valuable stuff
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • rolf_f
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

Monthly average for you, or everyone?

For everyone. The number of completed months worth of data, assuming you actually fill this data in, varies from zero in January to 12 in December. So the average number of data points in a monthly average data set is only 6.

Monthly average probably really only tells you something when looked at over a period of years. As for SCStats - I think it is spot on as it is. Keep up the good work and, IMO, don't change a thing!
  • CiB
    Cheers Rolf - no plans to change it much, though that might change.

I've done this sort of purge a few times over the years for exactly the same reason and at about the same time of year and never had so much as a nod that it happened, and now people are getting revved up about it. Simple logic is that dormant users skew the stats and aren't adding to the growing picture of how we're doing over the calendar year. My biggest concern was wondering if being 62nd out of 86 is better or worse than being 52nd out of 62 with no easy places to make up as through the inevitable catch-up of dormant entries. Decisions eh?
  • okgo
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

Monthly average for you, or everyone? If just you go to the link on the Add page where it says Filtered Rides Search for... and on that Search page you can d/l your stats (or anyone's in fact, it's open) as a CSV and in Excel you do what you like with the data.

There's not enough space to show monthly tots and averages (there probably is...) but equally there's not enough enthusiasm on my part to spend time fertling about with it to make it do things that Strava and Veloviewer already do a lot better. Feel free to write a better implementation; I'm not precious about it one jot. ITB should be - he came up with Plan A, before I nicked the idea when one of the kids had appendicitis and I had a few nights stuck at home whilst he recovered.

Okgo - I can hide your 2013 entry if you want. Post on here if you change your mind, or just pick up again in the new year.

Nah, just remove me for good if you can, I shan't be logging back in.
  • rubertoe
    okgo wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    5milestogo wrote:

Nah, just remove me for good if you can, I shan't be logging back in.

pramthrow.gif
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• rolf_f
    On a more positive note (at least for me!) - I managed to make 8500 miles despite losing 9 days due to a badly sprained foot. Almost managed another 1k month. More to the point, I only have 2500 miles to my target of 11,000 miles. If I'd not made it close to 8500, that would have felt a worryingly long way off. As it is, if the weather doesn't get too bad, it should be reasonably achievable........
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    rubertoe wrote:
    pramthrow.gif

Quite. i'm one place nearer the top 10 again thanks to that flounce. It's sooo hard typing a few figures in, isn't it?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Right, that's me upto 6000 miles for the year so far and 12th place.

Last commute before The Long Dark tomorrow.

If I can manage 600 miles next month then I can get away with an easy December.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Still a good battle between DaxPlusDax and iPete.
  • I was planning on easing off this month but the temptation to keep on putting the miles in to catch up iPete and (I can't believe I'm even contemplating this with only 2 months to go) Deadslow is just too much for the competitive cyclist in me :twisted:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Initialised
    Competitive or not the only way I'm gaining any more places is if someone else gives up for the winter. Gaps of 500miles aren't bridged easily.
  • Thing is: I've finally managed to hit a fitness level where I can cycle in every day AND go for a ride out on a Sunday. That's really making a difference to the miles I'm putting in.

In fact it's exactly a year since CarlosDSanchez wrote a post on this very subject (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12882185&p=17907543#p17907543). It was what I needed to know .. that it is possible and that you just need to build up to it :D

So cheers Carlos for the advice/goal.

strava profile
  • Gaps of 500miles aren't bridged easily.

Never give up - you just don't know how things might turn out. 500 miles is 2-3 really good weeks. 2-3 weeks is a bad case of flu. Or a holiday (to stay slightly more positive). Or a heavy patch at work (not that I'd wish that on anyone either).

strava profile
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sorry Dax being lazy there, hopefully I don't get flu* because the gap is now 736 miles ;)

Time to chase Deadslow and put in some miles to make 10k possible.

*but a holiday would be OK
  • No probs .. I'll just have to over take both of you at the same time :-)

strava profile
  • rubertoe
    Thing is: I've finally managed to hit a fitness level where I can cycle in every day AND go for a ride out on a Sunday. That's really making a difference to the miles I'm putting in.

In fact it's exactly a year since CarlosDSanchez wrote a post on this very subject (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12882185&p=17907543#p17907543). It was what I needed to know .. that it is possible and that you just need to build up to it :D

So cheers Carlos for the advice/goal.

Good work Dax,

I am hoping to move house in the new year (its all happening i tell ya) and i had forgotten about that thread... much usefull.

I will be upping to about 22 each way 4/5 days a week.

Gonna smash this years target out of the park.

• Initialised
    Keep it up and you'll catch me Rubbertoe

I've been thinking about aiming for 9000 next year.

Knowing I'd broken 6k made this morning's soaking much more bearable, fun even, managed a couple of extra wet miles.

Been struggling to maintain motivation since doing Hexham Hell at the end of last month and with the weather turning wetter.

Work always gets busy with the Christmas period and it's only going to get colder but hopefully not wetter. Looking forward to this year's snow so I can hit the trails on the MTB
  • @ Dax PlusPlus:

I’m probably going to be taking a couple of days holiday before Christmas and I never ride at weekends – I’m strictly a commuter only. I do 45 miles per day, 5 days a week ,every week (I don’t have a car so always on the bike unless the weather is too bad then I ring in sick or take holidays!)
    So you should be able to work out a weekly mileage to overhaul me before the end of the year. I won’t be cycling after Christmas Eve so I think you can catch me without much trouble! Good luck!

BTW, I would worry more about catching iPete than me he must be due a big update soon. :wink:

....Deadslow.
  • @ Dax PlusPlus:

I’m probably going to be taking a couple of days holiday before Christmas and I never ride at weekends – I’m strictly a commuter only. I do 45 miles per day, 5 days a week ,every week (I don’t have a car so always on the bike unless the weather is too bad then I ring in sick or take holidays!)
    So you should be able to work out a weekly mileage to overhaul me before the end of the year. I won’t be cycling after Christmas Eve so I think you can catch me without much trouble! Good luck!

BTW, I would worry more about catching iPete than me he must be due a big update soon. :wink:

....Deadslow.

Cheers but I think my talk of catching you guys up is 99% bravado :oops: .. I've gotten something like 14 days of holiday to take between now and the new year. But thanks anyway .. I'll give it my best shot and hope it gets interesting.

strava profile