Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    suzyb wrote:
    Is there a website or book that explains what you just said in dummies term :?

Have a look here http://www.pbscience.com/component/docman/cat_view/970-pbscience-in-the-media.html. There's plenty of useful info, I rate them very highly they've transformed my training
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm pretty glad you wern't in it last year Rich.. 10th would have been a good couple of hundred miles harder to get to
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Cheers Rich :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Interesting. I tried the 'taking it easy' approach this evening. Not that one sample is a statistically valid sample set but my last 5 commute times (not including tonight) have given these times:

40:49
    41:05
    38:17
    40:22
    40:45

Tonight, taking it easy with a similar headwind to last night I get:

41:08

And I probably was noticeably less tired on arrival home. Not much scope for making use of the flattish bits to regain time due to the headwind but certainly interesting!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Hatbeard, I've moved computers, and lost the address for your new stats site. Or is everyone still using the old one.

I've got my new frame, after my off, and am feeling a lot happier now I am actually doing some exercise again.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    First 20 mile commute home tonight, bit of detour :P 800 miles for the year or 100 per week average! Hopefully I can keep that going and hit 5200 for year!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Hatbeard, I've moved computers, and lost the address for your new stats site. Or is everyone still using the old one.

I've got my new frame, after my off, and am feeling a lot happier now I am actually doing some exercise again.

http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/Default.aspx
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    This is what I saw when looking at this thread just now:

5474798908_367fc2bafc.jpg

I thought Kieren might be amused and everyone else scared
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Interesting. I tried the 'taking it easy' approach this evening. Not that one sample is a statistically valid sample set but my last 5 commute times (not including tonight) have given these times:

40:49
    41:05
    38:17
    40:22
    40:45

Tonight, taking it easy with a similar headwind to last night I get:

41:08

And I probably was noticeably less tired on arrival home. Not much scope for making use of the flattish bits to regain time due to the headwind but certainly interesting!

Yep, like I said, when I go easy on the hills I tend to do v similar times, I also love how much sprint and verve I have left when I get into the city on the final leg, rather than still dragging round my feet round wondering why I nearly killed myself 8 miles back on a 110m hill! Have you tried a protein shake when you get in too - does wonders for recovery, I was a sceptic, now a convert
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Day 1 in the lakes - 72 miles and 6700 ft of climbing.

Even with 34/28 I had to get off and walk hardknotts pass. Sunrise and whinlatter conquered.

Tomorrow honnister and newlands if my legs work
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:

Even with 34/28 I had to get off and walk hardknotts pass. Sunrise and whinlatter conquered.

Nice work, what was the weather like?

grim here all day
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just realised how good those ravioli style speed bumps are in the road. After avoiding them this week it means I've broken the 500 mile mark for the year so far, without the hazards I'd still be the wrong side of 500 miles which was my target for Jan-Feb anyhow. The extra 0.23 miles makes all the difference :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jzed
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Nice work, what was the weather like?

grim here all day

Weather has been superb - 6-7 degrees, dry 99% of the time, only complaint is the wind.

Day 2 - 58 miles - 4700 ft of climbing - kirkstone pass conquered (probably the most enjoyable climb and descent I've done). Just enough miles to pass 800 miles for the month. Thats it for February - off to Edinburgh for the rugby and a few well earned pints. Business will resume next week.

Whoever started this stat thread is evil - I want my life back.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :twisted:

Well done, enjoy your beer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @JZed - good skilz. That's steeper than anything on the Marmotte.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    @JZed, you'll breeze up Honister and Newlands if you've been up Whinlatter. Don't feel bad about Hardknott, which diection did you do it in? It's beaten me both ways

Watch out for Honister, it's got a vicious kick as you go through the farm buildings and doesn't ley up untill you're almost at the top. The descent of Kirkstone is awesome, I've done both descents, but going down towards Patterdale is my favourite, you can just let it go and enjoy railing every corner
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rich158 wrote:
    @JZed, you'll breeze up Honister and Newlands if you've been up Whinlatter. Don't feel bad about Hardknott, which diection did you do it in? It's beaten me both ways

Hmmm, I'd have that the other way round - you'll breeze up Whinlatter if you've been up Honister and Newlands. Whinlatter is the doddle!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Hmmm, I'd have that the other way round - you'll breeze up Whinlatter if you've been up Honister and Newlands. Whinlatter is the doddle!

At least with Honister (North to South) you can see what is coming - there is a lot of it coming, but it is mentally not so bad. Newlands isn't too bad as the gradient slackens off a bit every now and again, nor is Whinlatter but if you don't know it, you don't know what is coming next. Wouldn't even try hardknott on a bike, though I did once see someone coming down it on a skate board!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    PT today after the weekend's sportive, looks like I'm WFH tomorrow as The Mighty Pickle is vomiting constantly. If she stops then I'm off to SA for two weeks on Wednesday.

If I'm not outside the top 30 by the time I next log miles I'll be very disappointed in you lot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    Rich158 wrote:

Watch out for Honister, it's got a vicious kick as you go through the farm buildings and doesn't ley up untill you're almost at the top. The descent of Kirkstone is awesome, I've done both descents, but going down towards Patterdale is my favourite, you can just let it go and enjoy railing every corner

Did Hardknotts from West to East as was told this was the hardest direction. I'm not sue as descending down towards wynrose seemed to be relentless and sure the east to west of Wynrose is steeper and longer than west to east, and there are some nasty steep hills on the approach to Wynrose.

I didn't get to Honnister or Newlands. The hundred or so small sharp hills on Friday had taken it out of my legs, so when I reached Keswick - I went out to Penrith and did the north to south of Kirkstone and descended into Windermere (to hit the 800 miles) but on reflection I maybe should have gone down the struggle as it looks fun. Out of interest I tackled the struggle and kirkstone pass from south to North with the assistance of 200bhp and filmed the descent at 50mph+ and it took over 2 minutes so guess it took longer to go up than it felt.

In other news - the creaking from the bike is the back wheel - pretty much by the end of the weekend every spoke has lost tension - at least its not the carbon.
  • Rich158
    @Jzed that's awesome riding, chapeau for tackling so much

I'll be back on the board again soon, got the new office properly scouted, nice secure bike parking and showers, and an even longer commute now, somewhere in the region of 30 miles each way :D

Revised FCN - 2
  • suzyb
    How long does it (or will it) take you to ride those 30 miles.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    suzyb wrote:

It would take me around 1.5 hours, or has done in the past.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Rich158
    suzyb wrote:

I reckon about 1.5 hours, the problem with working on a short term contract is i'll have to carry everything in and back so my bag will be extra heavy

Revised FCN - 2
  • suzyb
    That's half the time it takes me to do similar mileage :lol:

I can understand now how you guys can manage a 30 mile commute.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    and there's a tie at the top..... not for much longer I suspect though, last weeks antics have taken it's toll this week, so a weekends rest is due
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Lowish miles this weekend for me, so I won't be that far in front come Monday. I am sure with your commuting miles you will be back on top in no time.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    There are about 4 people within about 10 miles of me ready to take advantage of no commute on Friday so I imagine i'll be down a few places by the end of the week.

:(
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • I'm back after three and a half weeks off, very nice trip abroard but no cycling. The bad news is I've dropped 30 places in the rankings, the good news I lost half a stone!!
    I did a slow 20 miler around lunchtime today and will try for more tomorrow and will restart the commute on saturday.
    In the meantime I'll start to plot my climb back up the table, a top 30 place will do. perhaps those in between me and my goal could post details of any planned holidays so I can capitalise on your absences.

John
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've still not been outside on my bike :? Not since November the 13th

Quite enjoying the gym at the mo, any one want some tickets to the gun show?
    PYOW-PYOW!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017