Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JZed wrote:
    Seem to be getting addicted to stats - 603 miles for Jan (and still a couple of days to go), 17,000 ft of climbing, 40 hours in the saddle, 31,500 calories burned.

:? wonder whether should go for 650/700 miles.

Yes. Excellent work, btw. Should get myself a bit further up the list tomorrow, first audax..!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    StuAff wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Seem to be getting addicted to stats - 603 miles for Jan (and still a couple of days to go), 17,000 ft of climbing, 40 hours in the saddle, 31,500 calories burned.

Yes. Excellent work, btw. Should get myself a bit further up the list tomorrow, first audax..!

Good luck with the ride - what distance you riding*

*Looks over shoulder - goes to prep bike for a ride tomorrow
  • stuaff
    JZed wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Good luck with the ride - what distance you riding*

*Looks over shoulder - goes to prep bike for a ride tomorrow

Thanks. It's 205km, so 130 miles or so.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *removes bike from turbo trainer and steps blinking into the sun*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stuaff
    Audax went slightly awry- got dropped not long after at the start & went the wrong way (route sheet not as clear as it could have been & I hadn't done my own version & a map), so ended up doing my own thing for a bit rather than trying to complete the route (when I got to Whitchurch, the second control, I'd done 30k more than I should have...!). Still a good day/night, 128 miles all in.
  • jzed
    StuAff wrote:
    Audax went slightly awry- got dropped not long after at the start & went the wrong way (route sheet not as clear as it could have been & I hadn't done my own version & a map), so ended up doing my own thing for a bit rather than trying to complete the route (when I got to Whitchurch, the second control, I'd done 30k more than I should have...!). Still a good day/night, 128 miles all in.

Hats off - 128 miles is some distance. I managed another 30 miles on Sunday to keep you snapping at the heals - only a 60 mile weekend but 5,500 ft of climbing.

20 miles tonight will see me pass 650 for the month. If only I'd put a bit more effort into the first week of Jan I could have made 700 - so that'll have to be the target for next month.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    So, despite saying I wasn't playing this year, I've just knocked up 801 miles, which is about 250 miles more than last January and more than any other month last year except one. So much for not playing.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    long way to go yet
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Sabotaged today by an alarm clock failure :(
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • stuaff
    cjcp wrote:
    So, despite saying I wasn't playing this year, I've just knocked up 801 miles, which is about 250 miles more than last January and more than any other month last year except one. So much for not playing.

I actually got in the top ten, briefly...going to take it a bit easier this week, but by way of LeJOG prep I intend to keep doing some big mileage between now and the end of May- I know I'm probably fine for it, but I want to be certain. After that, I'll ease up. Probably...!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    454.1 miles in Jan. Happy with that. Only used PT for work on one day as I was going out for dinner in the evening, missed three other days for holiday but they don't count. I've also started going longer route just to get my stats up. Bugger!

Now for February.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Fek, fek, fek. That is all.

Ok, not quite all. Stupid work. Stupid lurgy
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jzed
    StuAff wrote:
    by way of LeJOG prep I intend to keep doing some big mileage between now and the end of May

I'm doing Lejog at the end of May - are you doing it with AMR?

I'm torn between building endurance miles for Lejog (and to try and hit 7-8k for the year)and intense miles for Marmotte.
    Sketchley wrote:
    I've also started going longer route just to get my stats up. Bugger!

My routes seem to be getting longer and longer - this morning my 7.5miles became 20miles and the commute home is usually 20-25miles. The missus is concerned I may becoming obsessed. Help.......
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    by way of LeJOG prep I intend to keep doing some big mileage between now and the end of May

I'm torn between building endurance miles for Lejog (and to try and hit 7-8k for the year)and intense miles for Marmotte.

That. This will help with the former, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

If you put your bike away now and dusted it off again on 29 June, you'd still beat me! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Still sticking in a lap of the park on the way home - but after the weekends hill climbing my legs are struggling to recover. Last nights lap was 20:21, so I seem to be going backwards, (19:28, 19:49, 20:21) although I did nearly give in half way up sawyers hill - but decided to try and make it up on the rest of the lap, but those 30-40 seconds of weakness cost me.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JZed wrote:
    The missus is concerned I may becoming obsessed. Help.......

careful with that, the whining about never seeing you will come out once the weather changes and the opportunity to do silly night rides appear
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

If you put your bike away now and dusted it off again on 29 June, you'd still follow me all the way and drop me when I'm done! :lol:

ftfy :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    edited February 2011
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

If you put your bike away now and dusted it off again on 29 June, you'd still follow me all the way and drop me when I'm done! :lol:

ftfy :lol:
    Shhhhh! Don't give the game away :lol:

Edit: on the marmotte there's only one place where drafting is a significant advantage: the valley between the glandon and telegraph. Hopefully we'll find others to draft this time...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JZed wrote:

Nope, one of the regulars on the British Legion's Pedal to Paris has put it together- primarily for remembrance, but sponsorship for the Legion as well (should help raise the target for Pedal to Paris- which I'm doing as well).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,156
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Not that I subscribe to the stats madness, but yes: stupid work. Stupid lurgy. You do realise that the only way out is to deliberately sabotage your computer/GPS/whatever. I haven't known accurately how fast or how far I've been for about 6 months now and it's a wonderful sense of freedom. After all, all that really matters is that you are faster than everyone else, and you don't need a computer to tell you whether that's the case or not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A slack month but 9 days off abroad so I'd have been over 500 otherwise. I'll be aiming well below last year though as the mileage and climbing was clearly too much. So, extended commutes (starting this week) will be rationed. Should still start clawing my way back up the table from my current lowly position - aside from anything else, it's too much like hard work looking for my name in amongst the others :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Still sticking in a lap of the park on the way home - but after the weekends hill climbing my legs are struggling to recover. Last nights lap was 20:21, so I seem to be going backwards, (19:28, 19:49, 20:21) although I did nearly give in half way up sawyers hill - but decided to try and make it up on the rest of the lap, but those 30-40 seconds of weakness cost me.

Going backwards is all part of going forwards. That's what I'm clinging on to anyway after my 21:28 last week. So, you could have had a breather at the top of Dark or Sawyer's and still beaten me.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Not that I subscribe to the stats madness, but yes: stupid work. Stupid lurgy. You do realise that the only way out is to deliberately sabotage your computer/GPS/whatever. I haven't known accurately how fast or how far I've been for about 6 months now and it's a wonderful sense of freedom. After all, all that really matters is that you are faster than everyone else, and you don't need a computer to tell you whether that's the case or not.
    I'm currently on PT but do outpace everyone in the Silly Commuting Walking game. Gratifying though this is it is not cycling :cry:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,156
    JonGinge wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I'm currently on PT but do outpace everyone in the Silly Commuting Walking game. Gratifying though this is it is not cycling :cry:

I feel your pain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:

Reminds me of that Leonard Rossiter short, 'The Waterloo Bridge Handicap'. Which some nice chap has helpfully just uploaded to YouTube!
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    ahah - I hadnt noticed the w*lly waving on the numbers had started in earnest. How naive of me.

Currently just ticking over with the commute. No miles at the weekend - just hardcore spin class on a sunday. That will change shortly. Extra lap of RP on the way home twice a week starts tonight and weekend rides next weekend. Should all help the numbers somewhat. Not that the numbers matter ofc..... :twisted:

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:
    So, you could have had a breather at the top of Dark or Sawyer's and still beaten me.

Did I not mention that I'd stopped at the top of Dark Hill, cracked open a can of lager, took a couple of minutes to enjoy the cool amber nectar, noticed the average was dropping to 19mph and set off again. :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Tewkesbury audax this weekend :D
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Working from home rest of week = no commuting miles :(

Good excuse for a ride round richmond park though :)
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5