Comments

• salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    andy83 wrote:
    salsajake wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    top of the midlanders league :)

hopefully add another 60 odd miles by end of weekend

think I've asked before but where (roughly will do) are you coming from and going to?

Those are monster miles for the midlands, which lets face it, are hillier than most parts darn sarf.

Na dont think you have asked before, and thanks for the compliment :) im also raising money for chairty by doing 6000 miles by start of august so have got quite addicted in all this mileage

I cycle from kings norton to maypole for work, however the direct route is 4 miles but I go up through earlswood, towards henley, then back down the stratford road through shirley and to the maypole. yes its a very long detour (21 miles in total) but great advantage is if i ever need to get home quick I can do the 4 mile route but try to avoid this and do at least a 6 mile route if ive done 12 hour shift or 14 if on shorter shift.

also I only work a maximum of 4 days a week and one of these is usually the weekend, so when others are at work I have at least 2 days in the week to myself to cycle, and loads of nice routes for me to take.

ah, that kind of makes sense then, the shortest round trip I can do is 35 miles, but that's not nice so I am currently doing 40.4 a day, 3 or 4 times a week if I duplicate the optimum niceness route (although that involves St Kenelms pass at Clent, which you are probably familiar with as all roadies in brum seem to use it) or I always use that way in, but sometimes head back on the dual carriageway out to hagley, much less aggressive climbing and a wee bit shorter.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've been very lazy this week so only have 7 days left to get a little under 91 miles to meet my 200 miles month target.

hmmm
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    ARRRGHH...

Mrs Benno's car is fixed which means I'll have to drive home tonight while she drives the hire car back, I'll have to leave my bike in work - drive in again tomorrow morning.

Glad I did 22.5 miles this morning!

What's worse, all in all the car's cost £2000 to get back on the road (more than it's worth), I could have got a Cannondale Six or a CR1 with that money.

Talking of mechanicals, still waiting on a new chainset to arrive in the post and my back wheel isn't sounding too clever either - ho hum.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    snuck in a 13 miler at lunch... take the long way home and I'll have notched a respectable 50+ miles for a weekday
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Note to self - must get an extra 12 miles in tomorrow.
  • Clever Pun
    Note to self: do an extra 15 miles tomorrow
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Porgy
    Note to self, no make that 27 miles :D
  • Clever Pun
    Note to self: Keep riding till Porgy's bike crumbles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Porgy
    I'll just keep buying new bikes. 8)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    suzyb wrote:
    I've been very lazy this week so only have 7 days left to get a little under 91 miles to meet my 200 miles month target.

hmmm

Bad girl :roll: . If it makes you feel any better, my monthly target is a miserly 200 also and I'm currently sitting on 294, me thinks the targets need upping :?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • benno68
    redvee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

hmmm

Bad girl :roll: . If it makes you feel any better, my monthly target is a miserly 200 also and I'm currently sitting on 294, me thinks the targets need upping :?

Go on SuzyB - you know you can do it! Punish yourself on Saturday or/and Sunday and get some decent miles in to set you up for the final week - you know it makes sense!

Having said that, can't see me getting to my 500mile target this month - I'll do my best though, maybe try doing a club run on Sunday, only the 60 mile route as opposed to the 80 which will go up the Bwlch etc (not been up there yet). Somehow I can't see Mrs Benno giving me a permit for a six hour plus 80 miler.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Porgy
    Benno68 wrote:
    Punish yourself on Saturday or/and Sunday

pervert
  • CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Cobblers. First time in ages that I've come striaght in with no added miles, and I find myself 1.1 miles behind Captain Chaos. Looks like a lunchtime excursion is on the cards.

Nice to have hauled in & passed OddJob though. Wonder what's happened to him...
    Eat my miles Chaos. 8)

Hmmm - you've finally noticed that we have been swapping places to within a few miles all year then. I only commute a couple of days a week generally and only in daylight - 18 miles each way - so I need weekend miles to catch up and get ahead. Now that it is lighter and warmer I do some on a Friday on the way home, but not yet added that to the normal weekday commute. Target for Sunday - do enough miles to pull ahead of CiB and keep ahead until the end of next week!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Cobblers. First time in ages that I've come striaght in with no added miles, and I find myself 1.1 miles behind Captain Chaos. Looks like a lunchtime excursion is on the cards.

Eat my miles Chaos. 8)

Hmmm - you've finally noticed that we have been swapping places to within a few miles all year then. I only commute a couple of days a week generally and only in daylight - 18 miles each way - so I need weekend miles to catch up and get ahead. Now that it is lighter and warmer I do some on a Friday on the way home, but not yet added that to the normal weekday commute. Target for Sunday - do enough miles to pull ahead of CiB and keep ahead until the end of next week!
    Ha. I've been up & down like a yo-yo lately, but have the opposite problem - can get 3 days commuting @42 miles / day at a push, but don't really have much chance to get out for any at the weekends at the minute, so any gains made by Friday disappear by the time Wednesday comes round and I can hit the road again. Torn this weekend between doing the right thing at the Scouts St George's Day Parade with the boys, or doing the Evans Ride-It over near Ampthill. Hmmm. Tough one that...
  • benno68
    Porgy wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    Punish yourself on Saturday or/and Sunday

pervert

:D:D:D

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Eat my miles Chaos. 8)

Ha. I've been up & down like a yo-yo lately, but have the opposite problem - can get 3 days commuting @42 miles / day at a push, but don't really have much chance to get out for any at the weekends at the minute, so any gains made by Friday disappear by the time Wednesday comes round and I can hit the road again. Torn this weekend between doing the right thing at the Scouts St George's Day Parade with the boys, or doing the Evans Ride-It over near Ampthill. Hmmm. Tough one that...

I thought the Ride It was full. I looked on the Evans site and whilst I may have made a mistake it appeared that you could not book online and I inferred from that that it was full for turn uppers as well
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dum de dum 54 miles today :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Having nearly ridden myself to a standstil in freezing-cold March, I've decided upon a "quality, not quantity" strategy. I can't sustain these bloomin' miles without knackering myself out, so I'm resigning myself to losing a Top 10 spot soon. Dagnabbit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    6 miles today. Cycling now permanently taking a back seat, have at it boys.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Why's that?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Having nearly ridden myself to a standstil in freezing-cold March, I've decided upon a "quality, not quantity" strategy. I can't sustain these bloomin' miles without knackering myself out, so I'm resigning myself to losing a Top 10 spot soon. Dagnabbit.

You'll be back :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    <Stats works on a trust basis. If people are claiming that mileage, we trust that they've actually done the miles. No-one would lie to gain places in the table surely. Shocked>

Hi CiB

Cheers mate.

I remember now - It is the starting miles when joining Stats that makes the difference (Doh).
    I knew I should chosen that Homer Simpson Avatar!

Some pretty impressive 2010 starting miles on one or two riders though unless they misunderstoodf and put their life to date total in by mistake :shock:
    My life to date miles still wouldn't make a dent in the top 80 :lol:
  • Will crack 1000 for the month tonight - hurrah for me ....

80-100 planned for Sunday : hiding behind all the proper riders in the club :wink:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    Will crack 1000 for the month tonight - hurrah for me ....

80-100 planned for Sunday : hiding behind all the proper riders in the club :wink:

top work sir, I may join you next week ;-)
  • benno68
    Will crack 1000 for the month tonight - hurrah for me ....

Well done RTM, bad month for me on the mileage stakes but there we go.

Only been out with a club 3 times, already got it to an art of how to accidentally lose a few places from the front at road junctions and roundabouts etc :wink:

I did take my turn at the front a few times - honest!

I've got two options on Sunday, a 60 miler which I'll probably go for or an 80 - I still haven't seen the Bwlch so would love to try the 80 miler but I think I'll have to leave it for another time - getting back for 2pm is ok but 4pm would be pushing my luck.

Cripes, I forgot that I'm still waiting for my chainset to arrive. I may have to go out on my own in pootle mode if it doesn;t come today - bu66er.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    1000 miles should happen on Thursday, according to my schedule, if all goes to plan etc.

Had a bad case of fatigue midweek,, all my get up and go had got up and went, but it all fell back into place on thursday night and this morning.
    I put it down to not eating or sleeping enough.
    I also seem to have a terminally ill sounding bottom bracket, :cry: on the plus side, my rear wheel for the Cx is back with a new rim on, so that'll be back in service next week :lol:
  • Porgy
    It was a joy to be out on the bike this morning. it was my extended commute taking in the thames path from Erith to Greenwich. conditions were absolutely perfect. I'm as calm and relaxed as anything. 8)

It's looking likely that the 50 miles a day commute will become a daily routine - so hoping that puts me up to a 1000 miles in May or June. 8) :D
  • benno68
    Just found out my chainring is being dispatched today for delivery Monday.

I rang to check stock and then placed the order on Monday evening - so 4 days to ship is a poor show! If I'd have known they were this slow I'd have gone elsewhere.

That's c0cked up my weekend!

Rant over.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Broke into the top 10 :shock:

Will have to do a road trip this weekend I suspect to stay there, especially as (fingers crossed) this will probably be the last oppotunity I have for one for a while!