Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Fantastic day and we rode through Longleat :

They let you ride through the safari park on bikes :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    obviously the lions were keeping his average up.

Looks like manky weather tomorrow so probs only a short one. I should have known the second i took some leave it would turn bloody horrible.
  • The outer gate to the lions enclosure was open and it did concentrate the mind somewhat :):):)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I have no excuses for my lack of effort at the weekend. I was just being a lazy b*st*rd.

Still - I'm on for over 50 miles today if I'm still in a riding mood later this afternoon.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Porgy wrote:
    I have no excuses for my lack of effort at the weekend. I was just being a lazy b*st*rd.

Still - I'm on for over 50 miles today if I'm still in a riding mood later this afternoon.
    Same here - 185 miles last week, none over the weekend so a steady plummet down the table until Wednesday when the school run isn't my job. Anyone wanna buy some kids? Two well behaved lads, not much trouble most of the time, both can walk & talk, sometimes at the same time. £30 the pair. Go on.
  • Porgy
    CiB wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Same here - 185 miles last week, none over the weekend so a steady plummet down the table until Wednesday when the school run isn't my job. Anyone wanna buy some kids? Two well behaved lads, not much trouble most of the time, both can walk & talk, sometimes at the same time. £30 the pair. Go on.

Is either of them a qualified electrician?
  • CiB
    Porgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Fraid not. One plays centre forward for Manure Nited, the other is Chief Test Pilot for Nintendo Mario Karts apparently.
  • Porgy
    CiB wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Fraid not. One plays centre forward for Manure Nited, the other is Chief Test Pilot for Nintendo Mario Karts apparently.

shame. I forgot to mention plumbing skills, but that seems unlikely too. I reckon 30 quid's a bit steep, and you may not be able to sell them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Im thinking of cutting my commutes back to just 3 a week, this year almost all my cycling has been commuter miles, same route day in day out with no option to vary the route due to time constraints.

The weekend has shown me that ive lost my ability to climb and rides over 45 miles hurt.

So im thinking
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday commute rest on Wednesday, Friday and long ride(s) on Sat/Sun or both.

Same weekly mileage but much more variety of riding.

Of course Wed would envolve fast turbo work ;)

Now any suggestions as to how i can weene myself off the daily commute and back into the car?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @ITB - very sensible, except I'd stay off the turbo until you know how the knee responds.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Porgy
    Extended commute in full effect today - and that's over 50 miles today!

Looking at another 50 tomorrow with luck.
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    Hey LIT

I am coming right up on your rear today :o

Ah ...the miles I have cycled just to pun that :-)
    I refer of course to the stats page, bien sur.

I also started three new mini leagues today

1: Lycra Clad Ladies (now eagerly awaiting to see who joins that)

2: I wanna meet some Lycra Clad Ladies (Jibi - one for you)

3: West Ham Fans that believe that WE won the world cup in 1966 (one for me to win)

Feel free to join them although it is nice to be 1st in two at the moment

Gadge
    Not commuting this week, as I'm looking after my parents' businesses whilst they're stuck in Spain. bah.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Aidy wrote:
    Not commuting this week, as I'm looking after my parents' businesses whilst they're stuck in Spain. bah.

If you're the boss, you can close early and get some cycling in - right?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Benno68 wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Well, I'm still trying to do my day job - and getting cycling in on top of 18 hour days just won't happen.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Aidy wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Well, I'm still trying to do my day job - and getting cycling in on top of 18 hour days just won't happen.

Sounds harsh mate - hope they're paying you well :wink:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Porgy
    CP - what's up dude? I'm took no pleasure in overtaking you today - it was like taking candy from a baby. :(
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Aidy wrote:

I think you should get them to do your miles
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    will3 wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I think you should get them to do your miles

I did say I reckoned I could cycle home in the week it's taking them to get back.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yaaayyy! Made the 2000 club!! Partly thanks to my first 100 miler of the year - a circumnavigation of York (65 miles) plus, thanks to still feeling fine after that, a 35 mile round trip onwards to Sherriff Hutton. A decent 16 mph considering I was riding alone and there were decent winds. Not much hill though (1400 feet - less than my extended commute!).

Trouble is that I need 278 miles by the end of the month (ie week Friday) to equal my total for the whole of last year in the first four months - I only have two commutes left this week and four next week. Thats 114 basic commute miles. If I do my normal extended on five of them I'll get another 60 or so leaving 100 again for this weekend. I reckon I'll need a day off next week as I've only got one ride day this weekend and I don't think I'll be doing 100. Hmmmmmmmm :?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    Bosh. I've taken out those users who joined this year and haven't updated their mileage since the time when log-ins were introduced on March 18th.

It's reduced the numbers from about 150 down to 121 and upped the average miles a bit. Anyone affected by it who really wishes they had kept at it can easily add themselves and start again.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I hope no one does. I just jumped 9 places making my goal of top 100 look possible :D

Well almost possible. I only need 76.7 miles to get there. But I'm betting that changes when everyone updates tomorrow.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I've just signed up - hopefully I'll be able to start climbing the ladder but i'll need to make up 400 miles just to get into the top 100.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • CiB
    suzyb wrote:
    I hope no one does. I just jumped 9 places making my goal of top 100 look possible :D

Well almost possible. I only need 76.7 miles to get there. But I'm betting that changes when everyone updates tomorrow.
    I clocked that. 9 places with no effort. Altho obviously you'll be nearer the wrong end of the table now :)

Do some more 30 milers. They soon become easy.
  • itboffin
    can you cut anyone over 3000 miles YTD please :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Porgy
    Hooray!! I'm back on target for 700 miles this month. Maybe more.

oh - and hello top 10 - I'm back 8) :D
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    itboffin wrote:
    Im thinking of cutting my commutes back to just 3 a week, this year almost all my cycling has been commuter miles, same route day in day out with no option to vary the route due to time constraints.

The weekend has shown me that ive lost my ability to climb and rides over 45 miles hurt.

So im thinking
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday commute rest on Wednesday, Friday and NO ride(s) on Sat and Sun

Less weekly mileage but much more variety of riding.

Of course Wed would envolve fast turbo work ;)

Now any suggestions as to how i can weene myself off the daily commute and back into the car?

Fixed for you, how else we meant to brake into the top 10 :)
  • itboffin
    Rest day 8)

I need it :?
  • So I have been unable to walk for a week but felt grand on the bike - happy days. Finally got to see the physio who has diagnosed a shortened hip flexor due to too much cycling and far far too much sitting at my desk at work. :oops:

Still, she says to cycle on and just stretch more and go back next week for another bout of agony massage treatment.

Anyway, if it doesnt go away I will get the muscle surgically removed. Its not worth risking my yearly stats over a silly hip flexor
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    CiB wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

I clocked that. 9 places with no effort. Altho obviously you'll be nearer the wrong end of the table now :)

Do some more 30 milers. They soon become easy.
    It isn't actually hard just now, just painful :(