Cheshire Cat preparation

Comments

• Also remember folks - the clocks go forwards this weekend...so its an hour less in bed on Sunday morning!!

:(:(

So dont be late :shock:
  • Well i am swapping my Fulcrums for my training wheels, i want a bit more grip if the weather is a little naughty. I have my new secret weapon installed and tested, and it should see me to the top of Mow Cop in one go, without putting a foot down. That is my challenge for the ride.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well I have decided to wear some shorts for this...had my legs covered up enough, and I'm sure they will be working hard enough to not feel any coolness...

A GB cycling top also arrived this am, so considering wearing this over a "branded" one....

Its gonna be too cold for shorts on Sunday - unless you have leg or knee warmers too.

I may go for 3/4 tights, or maybe my full winter ones.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I have my new secret weapon installed and tested

Hmm.... a jet turbine? a rocket? a hamster in a wheel? I wonder.......
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Has Howie got a compact chain set as well :?: I am hoping that 39x27 will be adequate for the day, and I'm keeping my Fulcrum R3 wheels on. If the weather turns naughty I will just have to suffer the indignity of a wet backside caused by lack of mudguards :?

Am still thinking about long tights - I just want to be toasty.

Is anyone bringing a bike lock for the arranged stops :?: Normally I am a trusting soul but I don't want to get outside of the cafe/pub and find that some light-fingered herbert has made off with my ride.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • cougie
    No need for a bike lock - its pretty much only cyclists there - I've never taken a bike lock on a ride in the last 20 years. I wouldnt leave a bike in a city centre - but at a cafe out in the wilderness - you'd have to be very unlucky.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Thanks Cougie, good to know.

Just looked at Met Check and the weather outlook seems to be improving. Still, the maxim that "you can always take a layer off" will be applied rather than "I wish I'd brought another layer".

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • re-thinking the shorts thing...6 degrees not going to be enough...it was just me being too eager on the first day of summer!! :D
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm going shorts as they're way more comfortable.
    With base layer, full gloves and warm socks.
    exercise.png
  • cougie
    You need to get new longs then. Far too early and chilly in the season to try a 100 miler with bare legs for me !

Yeah - I'd rather be too warm and unzipping things, than shivering for 6 hours or so !
  • SSSSSSHHHHHH dont ell anyone else. Just between you and us.
    Secret weapon is.....................................................................a triple.
    Not just any old triple.
    A triple with.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. a 24 front inner, and a 27/12 cassette.

SHHHHHHH its a secret.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Pugwash has a similar set up, he can actually ride up vertical Walls on his bike. Mind you, that's only with his red & blue skinsuit on :wink:
  • Ah, now there is a thought, not a pleasant one i might add. A skin suit mmmmmmmmm
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ...in your pink club colours.....mmm, nice ! :lol:
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Howie, will you be wearing what you have on in your avatar?

If so I will say a big HI as you pass me : :wink:
  • Yes i will be mainly wearing yellow and black on Sunday.
  • andy_wrx
    No, no, go for the fetching pink outfit !
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    'Twas a bit windy today....

I bet it rains on Sunday too
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Marko1962
    Me and pal are off to pre-register tomorrow, do we need to take any form of I.D. ?
  • Marko,

good question - i have just had a good chat with a guy from Kilotogo.

they are relying on your honesty and finding your name on the signing on sheet, collecting your number and timing chip...and then off you go in your bunch of 50 or so....so no ID as such required
  • Marko1962
    Thank you for the quick reply.

The weathers looking good, time to dig out the sunglasses me thinks....

Gone from discussing mudguards to shades, a complete 180 degree turn 1170-sunglasses.gif

smachick.gif
  • cougie
    So what factor sun tan lotion ?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    'Twas a bit windy today....

I bet it rains on Sunday too

Was a wee bit wasn't it, was even worse when the hails stones started hitting bare skin. Looking forward to a nice sunny day, if not a bit cold.

I will be with shorts and leg warmers, if I get warm, at least I can take off the leg warmers and get some sun.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2009
    what do you think about someone taking someone elses place?

Thanks
    Will.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I may be wrong but I think the major issue is with insurance - presumably you will not be covered by the event insurance as you will have invalidated that cover by signing on as someone else.

Otherwise - if the person you have bought the place from is,say, a female over 60 age group you may get some strange looks at the sign on :lol:
  • spanielsson
    Being a tart I not only have to choose my outfit but which bike I should use. In the end I decided to use the Sabbath, but with the wheels from my Trek.

All clean and ready to go! :D
    DSCF7329.jpg

Tomorrows Clif bar ration too.....

DSCF7331.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dan - where'd you buy all that from?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spanielsson
    Dan - where'd you buy all that from?

From the hell that is Evans on Deansgate.
  • andy_wrx
    willhub wrote:
    what do you think about someone taking someone elses place?

Thanks
    Will.

I suspect the organiser would not be pleased, if you simply pretended you were that person.
    Essentially, you would be forging their signature at sign-on, although KiloToGo don't have that person's signature to check against and weren't asking for proof of ID at sign-on last year, so nothing would have stopped someone doing it.

If you declared who you were and had something from the other person agreeing to the transfer, then that would be different, you could then sign-on as yourself and they could update their records with your details
    - but I don't know if KiloToGo allow you to do this, certainly not the day before as they're probably on the road up to Knutsford now...

The main reason I guess is that if you were involved in an accident, the police would be knocking on someone else's door to inform them that their husband/son was in the hospital/morgue...

And yes, there's the question of whether you'd be covered by the event insurance, but if you're a member of CTC or BC then presumably that insurance would handle it.

A sportive isn't a race of course, but I run as well as cycle and race organisers there are generally very unhappy about it - if a fit 20yr-old man swaps with a Vet60 man or Vet55 woman or something and sets a quick time, it tends to mess-up the class-results and prize giving...
    (I've never done it myself of course, you understand, run in the place of an injured club member, or let them have my number when I couldn't run...)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It would be much better if they let people transfer them even on the day if they had authorisation by the origional aplicant.