Cheshire Cat preparation

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Marko1962 wrote:
    The forecast has changed slightly for the better since I last posted it's now early intermittent rain followed by showers but it's going to be cold.....

I've seen forecasts change quite dramatically on Metcheck, obviously it will get more accurate the closer to the event but atm the terrain isn't going to be the only challenge....

now it says cloud and no rain. I've never seen metcheck until your link to it - now I'm looking very hour :) .
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Given that there's likely to be a significant minority of people who haven't descended an 8-12 % gradient at 40+ mph, does anyone think there's a greater need for "warning information" about the nature of descending steeper gradients, in the Cheshire Cat literature on the Kiltogo website? We're probably going to see a small percentage of "gym" goers and similar, who might think "I'll have a go at the 66" - with relatively little bike experience, they then find themselves hurtling down a 10 % gradient at 40 mph with a bend coming up......or cars, potholes, gravel et al causing concerns.

What do we think??
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I think if I hit 40+ mph it means my brakes have failed!!! :shock:
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    popette wrote:
    now it says cloud and no rain. I've never seen metcheck until your link to it - now I'm looking very hour :) .

Lol Metcheck is going to get a ton of hits over the next week, half of em from me and the other half from you :P
  • Marko1962
    Mettan wrote:
    Given that there's likely to be a significant minority of people who haven't descended an 8-12 % gradient at 40+ mph, does anyone think there's a greater need for "warning information" about the nature of descending steeper gradients, in the Cheshire Cat literature on the Kiltogo website? We're probably going to see a small percentage of "gym" goers and similar, who might think "I'll have a go at the 66" - with relatively little bike experience, they then find themselves hurtling down a 10 % gradient at 40 mph with a bend coming up......or cars, potholes, gravel et al causing concerns.

What do we think??

Personally I am a bit of a scaredecat when it comes to descending in unknown territory so I will be going at it gingerly, I start to hit the brakes mid 30's on roads I know as it is. It's not so much the road I worry about, it's all the unknowns that could happen like a car pulling out of a side road or on the wrong side of the road as I come out of a bend, lots of unnerving scenarios go through my head as I'm hurtling down the road....

The more information ahead of time the better as far as I'm concerned...
  • Marko1962
    Just wondering, do you need to pay for any of the food, high5 powder and bars that will be available at the feed stations?

Now I realise that the food supply may run out at the feed stations so obviously it makes sense to bring your own but can we trust that the High5 or whatever powder will not run out?
  • popette
    Hey Marko - looking good now isn't it? sunny intervals and light breeze :-)

To answer your question, food and high5 is "freely available to participants", to quote the website. http://www.kilotogo.com/media/event_man ... manual.pdf

I've only done a handful of sportives but I've never seen them run out of food. However, I'm going to be taking everything I need in my pockets anyway. I'm going to put some powder in a resealable freezer bag too.

We'll be in full swing this time next week!
  • Marko1962
    Yes it's looking good aye, the forecast has gone from light snow and intermittent rain with 13 mph wind to partly cloudy and light breeze as you say, all within a day :D

Ta for the reply, I think I will be doing the same with powder in bags, just hope I don't get pulled by the fuzz on the way there with dodgy looking white powder stuffed in my pockets. :) I'm looking forward to next week already every time I think about it I'm getting nervous shivers of excitement :lol:
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I've only found Metcheck to be useful in close range forecasting. They still tend to be more accurate than most though which worries me as I've just checked the weather and they're predicting light sleet and 18mph winds :shock:

I might have to adjust my target time a wee bit.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I like the Torq powders because they come in groovy little canisters that can be re-used - no dodgy looking glassine envelopes for me.

As for weather forecast I think it is now a given that I will be wearing overshoes to protect my lovely new Gaernt G. Myst shoes, gloves, buff, hat and warm jersey (Gore Tool - almost too snug) unless things take a turn for the better ... like everyone else I will start to check MetCheck on the hour from Friday onward.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just think of me when you start the Lamaload descent, get the speed off before it steepens.

Kneecap -

Leg2.jpg

Overview ( the road rash starts at my ankle and finishes at my shoulder)

Leg1.jpg
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    edited March 2009
    I was near by where you had your spill yesterday, I kept thinkng about the week before and that kept me in check!

Your leg is looking much better now than it did mid week, I think you will be riding again by May :)
  • Jebus...you lot. It's 100 miles through Cheshire, not the Iditarod. Turn up, ride, smile. Don't worry so much.
  • popette
    pwhoooooaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!! :P
  • I've just looked on the Accuweather site; it reckons that there will be 5 hours of rain on Sunday.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.a ... traveler=0

I don't mind a bit of cold, but wet weather will dampen the spirits somewhat.
  • McBain_v1
    That is one fugly looking leg - must stung like buggery!

Once again, if you find yourself behind me on a descent DO NOT EXPECT ME TO LET GO OF MY BRAKES - you will be disappointed. I am going to creep up hills and down hills. Mrs McBain insists I come back in one piece from this ride.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stung???

It was broke in three places!

Heh heh.

It's still rather, erm, uncomfortable!
  • guys, I cant now do the cat cos of personal commitments down south this weekend so if any of you fancy my entry or know somebody who wants one, give them my info. I asked if I could transfer it or get a refund and the answer was a very flat no. So they'd have to ride under my name. I wasnt desperate for the cash but it would be nice if I recovered the 28 quid. I was entered for the 100 miler but think you can ride the length of route you want on the day. Cheers.
  • Marko1962
    popette wrote:

pwhoooooaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!! ??????????????? You done lady wind or something? :P
  • popette
    Marko1962 wrote:
    popette wrote:

pwhoooooaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!! ??????????????? You done lady wind or something? :P

moi? never...... it was the sight of bare leg that cause the outburst
  • Accuweather is now forecasting 54kmh gusts and rain on sunday. Nice!
  • Well it looks okay to me...

Knutsford
    http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecas ... c=1&fday=6

Congleton

Macc

8 degrees, sunny with a bit of wind. no precipitation.
  • McBain_v1
    Just ordered a Gore Function Vest to wear in case of chilly start - comes with handy pocket on the front which can hold energy bars. Haven't managed to source a tribar bag yet though.

Anyone else have to put cling film over their computers to stop water ingress during rain buggering up their readings :?:

• mmmm just had a final check of the participants...and I'm down for the 102 miler.... :shock:

ah well!!
  • popette
    mmmm just had a final check of the participants...and I'm down for the 102 miler.... :shock:

ah well!!

I reckon you could easily do that - you were so strong on those hills on our ride
  • McBain_v1
    Popette is flirting, and hoping for a push up the Macc Forest climb methinks :!:

• McBain_v1 wrote:
    Popette is flirting, and hoping for a push up the Macc Forest climb methinks :!:

It may well be her pushing me by then :) although if she wants a push...... :wink:

just now need to get my head around an extra 2-3hours cycling, i had set myself a target of 4hrs for the 66.....102 in 6 sounds optimistic. :oops:
  • McBain_v1
    I'm not expecting to finish in under 7 hours to be honest :oops: Would be good to see at least one member of C+ team though.

• popette
    I'll be over the moon if I make it back in under 8 hours. I think that might be pushing it a bit though.

I'm thinking about my clothes and about to commit the cardinal sin of buying new gear to wear for an event. I'm going to get a new jacket, in a colour which matches my bike, and isn't too baggy (as my current one flaps a bit now that I've lost weight).

By the way, I wouldn't mind a push... :wink:
  • McBain_v1
    Given the calamities that have taken place during some of the descents on this route it might be a good idea to have a flappy jacket that will act as an aero brake :!: