Cheshire Cat preparation

How much fluid will I need to carry on the Cheshire Cat ? How much will most riders be starting out with ? I know there will be feed stations - will I be able to replenish my bottle(s) there with energy drink or will it be water ? (If it is water, I'll take some energy drink powder).

Out of interest, on the Cheshire Cat, what is the usually method of making a pitstop ? - Which I'll need, after a couple of litres of fuel. Do they have any loos on the course or is it a case of finding a discrete tree ?

Will I receive any info. from the organisers before the event, or is it just a case of turning up and registering ? It'll be my first event and I'm starting to feel nervous !

I've no idea what the procedures will be and I want to banish as many pre-event doubts/worries as possible.

Thanks for any advice !

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I will have 2 x 750ml bottles one with Sis Go, and one with SiS PSP22. I would expect they will have just water, and as such I will take additional powder to make up a bottle.

I am not sure about the toilets, as I will unlikely go to the loo until the end.

Not sure about the info, I am guessing this will be given to you at sign on.

I wouldn't have too many worries, I am sure you will be fine, just turn up in plenty of time, so you can park, register, and get prepared without rushing around. Make sure you have some food with you at the start as well.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm told that info should be available the Saturday before the ride if you go and collect it all (pre-register to avoid faffing around on the day).

I'm taking two bottles and numerous canisters of Torq energy powder to mix into tasty drinks, along with at least 6 Torq energy bars, about £20 in change, 3 inner tubes, mobile phone, tools, water proof etc etc.

I think it will take me at least an hour to settle down so I am going to turn up, get on the bike and pedal at my own speed.

As for having a wazz en-route, if the need arises then there'll be plenty of hedges - you could always be cheeky nip into the Cheshire View half-way up Mow Cop for a wazz, then get some speed up on the level car park, hang a tight left and see if you can complete the rest of the 1in4 climb :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    IIRC, Kilotogo usually have a choice of High5 or water at the feedstops (as well as solid foof of course). No need to carry anything more than 2 x 750ml bottles at the start and your own choice of energy powder if you prefer that to High5. Feedstops are generally very well stocked with - memorably - sausage rolls included at the final stop on the Ches Cat last year; brilliant.

As for the call of nature, most of the stops tend to be at or near pubs, so it's less challenging than long training rides to be honest, as long as you don't mind a bit of queuing.
  • Thanks for the replies fellas.

This will be my first sportive and the first time I'll have ridden more than 55 miles. Yes, I know, it's going to hurt me !!

Still, it'll be character-building !
  • Thanks for the replies fellas.

This will be my first sportive and the first time I'll have ridden more than 55 miles. Yes, I know, it's going to hurt me !!

Still, it'll be character-building !

You will be fine! I was down that way a month or so ago and rode Mow Cop in the rain. It is steep, but no where near as bad as suggested in some forums/websites. Just stick it in bottom gear at the bottom and work your way up. No heroics, but you will get up no problems!

Should be a good day. That said, my shiny new bike isn't here yet, so I am on the TCR Advanced. Not really a bummer, but was thinking about christening the SL on Swiss Hill!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mow Cop in my opinion is easier than the Macc Forest climb due to the fact that it's the first one, and easier than Swiss Hill which is more technically challenging (but immense fun!)

This will be my first sportive and first ride over 77 miles, nervously excited about it!
  • McBain_v1
    I heard from Popette that the Macc Forest climbs are an utter biatch - and she was riding a 34/27 so I am going to really struggle on a 29/27 :cry:

• McBain,

I have not ridden Mow Cop so cannot comment on that, but Macc Forest is tricky in that it is quiet a steep incline and then has a nasty kick towards then end where is gets to about 16-18%.

Swiss Hill - just pray for a dry period as in the wet everyone will be walking up it :?

I am planning on taking 2x 750ml bottles - one with water and one with some powdery mix, a couple of flapjacks and a couple of gels.

Btw - I could do with a lift on the sunday am to do the registration as I dont drive & im not cycling to knutsford before the ride!! ( I am in sth mcr if that helps)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    As we said on the ride around the peaks, that hill may take some people by surprise, as it is quite a steep little bugger and everyone's attention is on Mow Cop . I just checked my ride stats for the day and the max gradient was 28.7%, which is undoubtedly that hill in Macc Forest. The road surface was poor too - loose gravel - but we did see signs that they were going to be repairing the roads so that may have improved by the time we get to it at the end of March. On that hill, I was at my max HR, I was desperate to get off and walk, but I knew that if I even attempted to unclip, I would be getting a much closer look at the gravel. I'm heavier than the average rider though so what I found to be really quite a tough challenge, you may be able to dance up. :)

I'm taking 2x750ml bottles of psp22, come clif bars, more packets of psp22, and maybe a gel if i feel really desperate

I hope you enjoy it lastpubrunner - it's brilliant!!
  • popette,

28.7% - you sure that wasnt you doing a wheelie up it?? :D:D

I made my comment based on the sign at the top that was saying a 16% decline.....
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    popette,

28.7% - you sure that wasnt you doing a wheelie up it?? :D:D

I made my comment based on the sign at the top that was saying a 16% decline.....

:lol: you could be right! My front wheel did keep lifting. :lol:

At the start of the climb, I looked down to my garmin and saw it was around 22%. Towards the top, I couldn't look down any more, it was pure survival by that stage.
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    I heard from Popette that the Macc Forest climbs are an utter biatch - and she was riding a 34/27 so I am going to really struggle on a 29/27 :cry:

29/27 ? presumably, you are on a triple chainset ?

I'm running 34/27 and not only am I overweight, but I've cycled fewer than 150 miles this year.

Still, I will get round . . . . . . .somehow !

I did a 50 mile reliability ride about a year ago; I could tell that the other riders were not too impressed by the elderly jalopy piloted by a guy who clearly wasn't wearing 'all the gear'; I'll be doing the same on the Cheshire Cat. :D

If you see an elderly 'shabby' steel FW Evans bike, piloted by an unfit looking guy - that'll be me.

My prediction is that it will take me 9 hours - do they have a time limit ? I'll post my time on this forum when I get home after the event.

Thank you for all the replies, I feel happier now that I've some idea of what to expect.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    The Macc forest climb will be the worst of all!

My lowest gear is 34/26, I did manage to grind my way up. What didn't help us was the poor road surfaces as Karen said.

I'll eating Clif bars and drinking Nuun on my way around.

Does anyone fancy doing some of the route or the 66 mile route on Friday?!
  • Agree,

I think going up there I was in a 39-24 due to my gearing issues at the time (now resolved!!).

If it is not the surface, then the narrow road up & the potential large numbers could result in a couple of rides in the bracken...!!

Work unfortunately gets in the way for a ridde this Friday, but I should be able to do the 5 mile hilly club run on sunday.

btw - how did the March Hare go?
  • spanielsson
    I bailed on the mad march hare! I went out in Wales on the Saturday with Reddraggon, pugwash, elganesh and the one and only Willhub.

I booked Friday off to cycle because I have family commitments in Scotland this weekend. Maybe the best use of holiday entitlement!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This will be my first sportive and first ride over 77 miles, nervously excited about it!

It's good fun, great atmosphere - last year was good, but this year there's a huge increase in numbers (1600 riders approx), so it should be better again - there's always groups to ride with - if you get dropped by one, there's always another coming along.
  • Anonymous
    That Macc Forest climb averages 16% but it is over 25% in parts... I managed it on the training ride the other weekend on my 23lb training bike on a 39-27.

I managed Swiss Hill on it last friday too.

For the actual Cheshire Cat I'll be on my 15.5lb Look with a 34-26 :)
  • Anonymous
    I can do a ride Friday as long as I'm done and home for 1.30pm as I have to work...
  • spanielsson
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I can do a ride Friday as long as I'm done and home for 1.30pm as I have to work...

Sounds good.

I can even meet you in sunny holmes chap!
  • Anonymous
    That'd be great! Earlier the better...

Alex
  • spanielsson
    NapoleonD wrote:
    That'd be great! Earlier the better...

Alex

Name a time and place, I'll be there!
  • Anonymous
    0900hrs, my house? I'll PM you. Need to check the mrs isn't working, if she is then I can't make it...
  • McBain_v1
    I meant that I would be riding a 39x27 gear and so by the sound of things I am almost certainly going to be walking up these hills :cry: Still, I might give it a heroic try and end up sprawled by the side of the road so everyone watch out :lol:

Unlike Popette I don't have a super-dooper Garmin gadget so won't be able to analyse hill gradients en-route, I will be sticking to the tried-and-tested "knackered-ometer" which is built into my legs... when they stop wanting to work I know the gradient has exceed 20%

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    popette wrote:
    the max gradient was 28.7%, which is undoubtedly that hill in Macc Forest.

are you sure you went up the right one? The cheshire cat is doing the easier of the 2 climbs.

mf.jpg

the harder one is to north of trentabank res which is around 25%. The climb south of the res is easier and is the one you'll be doing on the cat.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Funny, I prefer toot hill to standing stone!
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    a_n_t wrote:
    popette wrote:
    the max gradient was 28.7%, which is undoubtedly that hill in Macc Forest.

are you sure you went up the right one? The cheshire cat is doing the easier of the 2 climbs.
    the harder one is to north of trentabank res which is around 25%. The climb south of the res is easier and is the one you'll be doing on the cat.

Everything is relative. Standing Stone is still a hard climb because of the poor surface and the kick up at the top. I wouldn't underestimate Wincle Bank either or the very steep - but short - climb from the old watermill at Swythamley.

Back to the original question, there will be energy drinks as well as water at all the feed stations which are generally located at pubs or near public toilets.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    The Macc Forest climb has just got slightly easier - they've resurfaced the road in places where it was really falling to places. I was up there a couple of days ago, and there's now some lovely smooth tarmac where previously there was a load of rough stuff; they've done a really good job. I was still knackered at the top though...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I tried Swiss Hill today, it's not too steep, but I was too scared of falling off to give it a proper crack.... :?

I was sitting down trying to keep weight on my back wheel as it kept losing traction....Willhub just shot straight up Swiss Hill out of the saddle with apparently no traction issues. I'm a wimp...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    It's not fair, us Heavy 'uns just aren't built for Swiss Hill.

Looking forward to trying the Macc Forest climb now.

Swiss Hill is my fave hill at the moment.
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    The other one to look out for is Ewrin Lane from Lamaload up to Rainow.
    Higs