Cheshire Cat preparation

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Karen, I have a lovely red Assos 851 jacket that would probably fit you, you could borrow that, would be great for this ride...
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Karen, I have a lovely red Assos 851 jacket that would probably fit you, you could borrow that, would be great for this ride...

What colour was it before your crash?

(sorry)
    Higs
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh.

I was only in a jersey and shorts for the crash hence my turning blue during the wait for the hambylans... Managed to get away without damaging the jersey but the shorts (my bestest Assos ones) had to be cut off and my brand new track mitts being worn for the first time were wrecked too :(
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    NapoleonD wrote:

Aw, thanks - that's so lovely of you. I just tried one of those on in Royles actually:-)
    I ended up buying one of these though - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_ ... 360038720/
    I did something I thought I would never do and bought it in black (is this really bad???). It looked so nice. I'm going to test it on the road tomorrow.
  • Anonymous
    Very nice! Everything of mine is a mix of black, white and red. Apart from my club / team jerseys....
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    There's nothing wrong with wearing black! Most of my gear is Rapha, therefore two tone!

Of course it means I have far too much money, can't ride a bike blah, blah, blah.......

I refuse to buy or wear a club jersey because of the colours!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

It's more the price for me....they are priced higher than better quality stuff from other brands.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spanielsson

It's more the price for me....they are priced higher than better quality stuff from other brands.

It must be the production/demand being low volume that hikes the price and forces using "lesser known" brands like Wills Albanian made circa 1981 Clifton chuffers shorts.

Still rather them than me in it :wink:
  • Just wondering, would it be a good idea to bring some glasses with plain lenses ?; I've never done a Sportive, but on many pics that I've seen, quite a few riders do wear them.

I do know that at higher speeds - almost entirely downhill in my case, my eyes can water quite a bit and then there is the chance of flying grit etc..

Will anyone be wearing such glasses on Sunday ?
  • popette
    hi LPR
    I'm going to wear my sunglasses. I know it's probably not going to be sunny but the lenses aren't dark so they're good for cloudy days too.
    I think many will be wearing glasses - either sun glasses or clear lenses. I've done sportives without them as well so don't feel that you'll stand out whatever you choose to do.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Weather looks worse everytime I look.
    Cold, wind and rain. ..... nice.
    exercise.png
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    TheStone wrote:

If you include 'grey' it pretty much describes Macclesfield right now.

(in fact it pretty much describes Macc most of the time)
    Higs
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm going to try and be positive about the weather - and buy a £2·99 brolly that I can stand under whilst waiting to start, and then hand to someone else when I set off just in case it is raining when we are all milling around at the start.

To me the worst bit is going to be waiting to start - I always get nervous and I don't know why - all I have to do is ride my bike and I've managed that since I was 14 for God's sake! Does anyone else get butterlflys at the start of events like this :?: Mostly I think it's apprehension about making an utter arse of myself by falling off and brinking loads of other people down with me.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm going to try and be positive about the weather - and buy a £2·99 brolly that I can stand under whilst waiting to start, and then hand to someone else when I set off just in case it is raining when we are all milling around at the start.

To me the worst bit is going to be waiting to start - I always get nervous and I don't know why - all I have to do is ride my bike and I've managed that since I was 14 for God's sake! Does anyone else get butterlflys at the start of events like this :?: Mostly I think it's apprehension about making an utter arse of myself by falling off and brinking loads of other people down with me.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Well I am going to wear some tinged sunglasses in an attempt to make things look a bit brighter...and also to avoid getting a fly in my eye on a descent :shock:

I'm just getting into the ebay side of things re jerseys & on the hunt for an old US Postal kit.

I was hoping that it might be warm enough for just shorts (and I'm not even starting the "should I shouldn't I shave my legs debate" :o )...but think it will still be legging weather at this rate :(
  • "Mostly I think it's apprehension about making an utter ars* of myself by falling off and brinking loads of other people down with me."

McBain - that will be me....I had my clip pedals now for just 2 weeks and fallen over 3 times at lights so far....so if you happen to be near me at the start make sure there is a clear area to my left!! :oops:
  • TheStone wrote:

Bring it on !!! :twisted:

Whatever happens, it'll be a (very) character-building experience !!! :D
  • spanielsson
    Well I am going to wear some tinged sunglasses in an attempt to make things look a bit brighter...and also to avoid getting a fly in my eye on a descent :shock:

I'm just getting into the ebay side of things re jerseys & on the hunt for an old US Postal kit.

I was hoping that it might be warm enough for just shorts (and I'm not even starting the "should I shouldn't I shave my legs debate" :o )...but think it will still be legging weather at this rate :(

Be prepared to pay a serious amount of poke for a USPS kit, I sold a used 2004 kit for £100 last year on the bay!
  • Anonymous
    I'll be wearing glasses on Sunday.
  • Despite some peoples opinions as to whether you should or shouldnt (I remember there being a thread about it somewhere) I will now be wearing a GB cycling top.
  • TheStone wrote:

The BBC weather site is the most optimistic - 10°C and light rain; Accuweather gives 8°C and 7 hours of rain; Metcheck predicts 4-5°C, light sleet turning to heavy rain. All the sites mention that wind speed will be about 18mph and that it'll be cloudy all day - there may not be much in the way of 'views' - for those fit enough to care or notice.

At the moment, I'm working on the assumption that it'll be cold and very wet; I'll still be doing Swiss Hill though, whatever the weather's like. :)
  • to be fair....

the temp isnt going to be an issue cos you will be warm with the effort expended, rain dampens the spirits a bit if it is heavy, but as we dont shrink when wet its fine...the bit for me is the wind....going uphill into a strong wind :evil:
  • Anonymous
    The weather was perfect when Dan and I did our disastrous practice run, it was a little chilly stood still in shorts and long sleeved jersey and it was a bit damp but once you got warmed up it was just right.
    When cycling in the rain I find that once you are wet, after about 10 mins, you don't get any more wet and it doesn't really bother me.
    As for the wind, well, you just have to fight it! A lot of the last 2/3rds of the ride is quite well sheltered from the wind so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm very jealous :(
  • popette
    how is your leg now Alex? Are you where you should be at this stage in your recovery?
    Are you out of hospital yet?

I've just come in from a ride - god it's blowy out there! Tested out my new jacket which seems perfect for today's conditions (very light drizzle, very windy, cool). I think it will be ok for the forecast conditions on Sunday. I'm going to take an extra layer folded up in my pocket in case the rain sets in. I do have a really good waterproof jacket but it has no pockets and as I'm going to be carrying loads of sh!t around with me, I need damn big pockets.

McBain, I get nervous too. I went to the Credit Crunch sportive two weeks ago and didn't feel the slightest bit of nerves. It was really sociable at the start and I was enjoying a bit of a chat with other riders. My mood was one of eager anticipation. Then get to the start line and my thigh started trembling uncontrollably!
    :oops:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think the wind will be ok. It's an early headwind on the mostly flat section.
    Tends to slow the quicker riders, but can benefit the slower riders as it's easier to stay in a group. Tailwind for second half and the hills.
    exercise.png
  • Have a look on the Met Office website. It's given cloudy with sunny spells and no rain for Sunday.
  • popette
    met check - heavy rain at 9am!

Do you think we'll be this obsessive for every sportive this season or is it just because this will be the first biggy for most of us?
  • Anonymous
    popette wrote:
    how is your leg now Alex? Are you where you should be at this stage in your recovery?
    Are you out of hospital yet?

Yep, escaped Sunday night. Got a lot more movement back and seem to be doing quite well despite the pain and discomfort. Can't wait to get back on the bike. Dan brought my bike back yesterday (thanks mate!) and it looks like the rear derailleur may be ok but the front right brake/shifter may be knackered :( That said, it could have ben a lot worse for me and bike.
    popette wrote:
    My mood was one of eager anticipation. Then get to the start line and my thigh started trembling uncontrollably!

Crikey! Sounds like the start of a naughty story from a reader's wife! :)
  • popette wrote:
    My mood was one of eager anticipation. Then get to the start line and my thigh started trembling uncontrollably!

Crikey! Sounds like the start of a naughty story from a reader's wife!

Absolute quality!!! :D:D
  • Forecast for Macc......mmmm :?

Sunday Day
    periods of rain
    High Temperature: 8°C
    RealFeel®: 4°C
    View the Hour-By-Hour™ Forecast
    Winds: WSW at 25km/h
    Wind Gusts: 57 km/h

Maximum UV Index: Moderate (3)
    Thunderstorm
    Probability: 0%