Cheshire Cat preparation

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I like Clif bars......well at least the one I tried was good.....

I don't fancy splashing out £1 or so per bar though. Just need a good cafe stop I think :D
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if i won the lottery i'd have a mobile wagon following me everywhere with a plentiful supply of fresh cakes and tea :)
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    The Clif bars I gave to Alex & James were oatmeal, walnut & raisin.

I think those are the best tasting, also are the most calorie loaded at 257 per bar. With gels being a pound each I know which I'd rather have with me!

Yes I am coming to visit this evening :D
  • Clif bars absolutely rock. Such a shame they've withdrawn the peanut butter ones. Still, choc chip and carrot cake flavours will be filling my pockets for the Cat
  • Anonymous
    oh my! they do carrot cake?!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yeh, peanut butter were good - didn't realise they were gone.
    I like home made carrot cake but not keen on the more processed flavour that some have - how do the bars measure up?
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Whilst on the topic of food etc I was thinking about about what some have said about High5 Energysource 4:1 drink and how the protein can be beneficial alongside Carbs. Now my fingers are on the order button for a tub but before I do has anyone tried mixing whey protein powder with a Carb drink? I've a tub full of whey protein in the cupboard...
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    What sort of tyres is everyone going to be putting on? It is racing rubber or armour-plated touring stuff?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Anonymous
    i can imagine that being repulsive! i think you would be better off buying the proper stuff! it is supposed to be the future....
  • popette
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    What sort of tyres is everyone going to be putting on? It is racing rubber or armour-plated touring stuff?

I have used pro race 3 all through the winter and will be using them for the Cat. My bike is getting serviced today and they're putting my fancy wheels on - yehh, it's really spring when the good wheels go on. I can't wait to ride with them again.
  • Anonymous
    what wheels are they?
  • popette
  • Marko1962
    NapoleonD wrote:
    i can imagine that being repulsive! i think you would be better off buying the proper stuff! it is supposed to be the future....

LOL yes you are prob right, imagine congealed whey powder in your bottle, yuk :lol:
  • sportbilly1976
    sportbilly1976 Posts: 524
    edited March 2009
    wheels - ??? I will be keeping the same set that came with the bike (and have been used) since January until i need to get some new ones...

as for food & drink - I will probably get a couple of flapjacks or something and will try to get a powder for one bottle, with the other being ribena.

however...as I am doing the 66mile route and I'm not planning to stop for ages at the feed stations (and I indend to get some of my £28 worth of food) from there, it should only be about a 4 hour ride...so I'm not planning on needing to carry a great deal with me.

...and if I really need to - I'll pop into a newsagent on the way and get a Mars bar! :)

edit: i'll also be using this sunday's club run as a final prep.

btw: is anyone able to offer a lift please for next sunday? tia
  • spanielsson
    I'll use continental force and attack tyres, they seem to be superb so far.

I have a pair of chris king hubs that I may have built into wheels ready for next weekend, just to hear the freehub as I ride past the Lamaload blackspot!

What doesn't help is having the Trek and the Sabbath, being spoilt is awkward.I'll sample both this weekend and go from there....
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    What doesn't help is having the Trek and the Sabbath, being spoilt is awkward.I'll sample both this weekend and go from there....

It's got to be the Sabbath if you're coming (virtually) through Macc.
    Higs
  • popette
    I think that I want a sabbath bike - I read a really good review of the silk road (or silk road pro). I've always fancied titanium. I would like it to take mudguards but not sure if it does. What do you think of yours Dan?
  • spanielsson
    popette wrote:
    I think that I want a sabbath bike - I read a really good review of the silk road (or silk road pro). I've always fancied titanium. I would like it to take mudguards but not sure if it does. What do you think of yours Dan?

I have the silk road, at the Moment I have race blades on it, but it will take a full size mudguard on the rear.

I love it to be honest! I built up mine myself, the spec is similar to the off the shelf rival equipped bike. I built a Kinesis racelight t with Campagnolo, still nearly £1k's worth to buy, but I didn't like it. After "geeking" as my wife calls it for months I decided the Silk Road was for me.

I'm not sure what size bike you have Karen, but you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a few weeks to see what you think.
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    popette wrote:
    I think that I want a sabbath bike - I read a really good review of the silk road (or silk road pro). I've always fancied titanium. I would like it to take mudguards but not sure if it does.

The Silk Road and Silk Road Pro aren't built to take mudguards but the September is. My wife has been riding one all winter and loves it.

I don't know if you noticed a white-haired chap in Leek kit doing the Credit Crunch on Sunday on his new September with the polished finish - it's beautiful!
  • Anonymous
    i think i will be indulging in a sabbath frame later in the year for my training bike. i was going to get a september as they are advertised as being able to take full mudguards, however, dan says his silk road will take a full rear mudguard so this may well be the future!

in fact, if my look is buggered (i don't think it is) then i may get one sooner...
  • popette
    popette wrote:

I have the silk road, at the Moment I have race blades on it, but it will take a full size mudguard on the rear.

I love it to be honest! I built up mine myself, the spec is similar to the off the shelf rival equipped bike. I built a Kinesis racelight t with Campagnolo, still nearly £1k's worth to buy, but I didn't like it. After "geeking" as my wife calls it for months I decided the Silk Road was for me.

I'm not sure what size bike you have Karen, but you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a few weeks to see what you think.

That's really generous of you Dan - I'm 56cm frame. I may just take you up on that offer when I'm getting ready to spend some cash.
    How does it feel compared to your Trek? When you put your foot down, do you get every ounce out of it iykwim?
  • spanielsson
    popette wrote:
    That's really generous of you Dan - I'm 56cm frame. I may just take you up on that offer when I'm getting ready to spend some cash.
    How does it feel compared to your Trek? When you put your foot down, do you get every ounce out of it iykwim?

I do know what you mean, I think for that feeling the Silk Road Pro or the Mondays Child would be the one's to look at. The September would be more laid back, it has a longer wheelbase and a more relaxed steering geometry. Another reason for the Silk Road.

The Silk Road is a great bike, you must ride it to see for yourself, but, the Trek (Now preparing myself for the Trek haters) is nothing short of fantastic. My Madone is as you describe in putting my foot down. All day everyday comfort, every pedal stroke feels like the bike is being pushed by someone else. It's lightweight, the shock and vibration damping is amazing.

If I were buying new and starting from scratch again I'm sure I would end up in the same place, The Sabbath as an all year round bike and the Trek as something for special occasions.

I don't care what people say, Colnago, Cervelo, Pinarello etc cannot compete with the engineering departments of companies like Trek and Specialized. It would be interesting to know how much the new Madone frame design has cost in R&D.

Both of my bikes are 54's, I'm sure they can be adjusted to fit you, you have the offer of both bikes whenever you want!
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    NapoleonD wrote:
    if my look is buggered (i don't think it is) then i may get one sooner...

Andy told me on Sunday that the only thing he could find wrong was the rear mech and the rear hanger. Might be worth emailing him at Peak Cycle Sport if you haven't already. And remember, that "49" awaits. 8)
  • Anonymous
    cheers dave, after dropping a load of money on it before christmas, i have not had much chance to ride it so it will be nice not to have to spend a fortune again!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Well, I will be going my Fulcrum R3 wheels (plenty racey enough for an event like this) and my Torq bars (337cals per bar) cubed as per Popette's suggestion. Just learned that two lads from work (who complete in Iron Man events) will be doing this event, they aim to finish in under 6 hours :!:

3/4 length shorts for everyone :?: Full jersey or arm warmers to give more flexibility :?: 750ml bottle or 500ml :?: Any CamelBaks out there :?: How many spare inner tubes :?: Pre-registering on Saturday - do you turn up at Knutsford Leisure centre :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Marko1962
    The long term weather forecast according to Metcheck.com is light Snow early morning and intermittent Rain dinner time on.. I hope they are very very wrong...
    :cry:
  • popette
    God, it looks crap doesn't it? At the start its going to be 4 degrees but will feel like zero!
  • Marko1962
    The forecast has changed slightly for the better since I last posted it's now early intermittent rain followed by showers but it's going to be cold.....

I've seen forecasts change quite dramatically on Metcheck, obviously it will get more accurate the closer to the event but atm the terrain isn't going to be the only challenge....
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You cheerful lot ! :lol:

Last year the weather was foul on the Saturday - serious rain, serious wind.
    I'm only 10miles from Knutsford but I drove over to register, really didn't want 20 miles of it on the bike.

But then Sunday dawned sunny and dry, the winds had dropped, good day for it.

(although the roads were wet in the morning and some ***** in a 4x4 coming the other way drove through a huge puddle and the wave nearly put me in the hedge, let alone drenching me from the waist down :evil: :evil: :evil: )