Ethnicity and the Cycling

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well, I'd argue that not being able to swim is pretty bloomin' stupid, I mean, there are bodies of water all over the place, you're quite likely to find yourself in one at some point

Am I? There is a canal, a river, a reservoir and some swimming pools here. Oh, and the sea. If I go 30 miles north, there's Windermere, too. I manage to avoid all of them very successfully, and I've never felt likely to find myself in one by accident. the fact I'm nearly 42 and this hasn't happened yet does suggest it's quite unlikely, I think.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I know some adults who can't ride bikes. That's even more amazing.

My mother being one of them.....
  • Agent57 wrote:

My mother being one of them.....

and mine, mind you there are some nasty hills around there so you don't get many casual if any riders in those parts.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Agent57 wrote:

but less life threatening

Edit: ah I see this has been done.. lots of people fall into water and drown every year could they all swim who knows, I'm safe in the knowledge that I can look after myself to a certain point on nearly all of our own planet. As like like to leave my own 'town' fairly frequently
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Well, I'd argue that not being able to swim is pretty bloomin' stupid, I mean, there are bodies of water all over the place, you're quite likely to find yourself in one at some point

Am I? There is a canal, a river, a reservoir and some swimming pools here. Oh, and the sea. If I go 30 miles north, there's Windermere, too. I manage to avoid all of them very successfully, and I've never felt likely to find myself in one by accident. the fact I'm nearly 42 and this hasn't happened yet does suggest it's quite unlikely, I think.

And voluntarily? Never been in a swimming pool?
  • Clever Pun
    rjsterry wrote:
    Parents not having the skills to pass on must also be a big factor - similar to children in this country having no idea about where food comes from or how to cook, because their parents don't have the knowledge to pass on.

My mum can't swim (she says she sinks I say she's fat n lazy; tomato tomatoe) but she paid for lessons for me and my bro as nippers maybe 4-5 bloody useful thing to know and can add to the enjoyment of life quite frankly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Agent57
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

My life has never been threatened by being unable to swim. Just as it hasn't been threatened by being unable to fly.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Agent57 wrote:

If you had chosen not to learn to swim it seems that you wouldn't have much business being in a swimming pool... I haven't been in one in 2 years and I'm an excellent swimmer, I can easily imagine that someone might never go in a pool voluntarily.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Parents not having the skills to pass on must also be a big factor - similar to children in this country having no idea about where food comes from or how to cook, because their parents don't have the knowledge to pass on.

My mum can't swim (she says she sinks I say she's fat n lazy; tomato tomatoe) but she paid for lessons for me and my bro as nippers maybe 4-5 bloody useful thing to know and can add to the enjoyment of life quite frankly

My dad famously used me to test a theory he had that babies under 3 months would swim automatically on being submerged in water by throwing me in our pool aged 2 months. Apparently I sank cheerfully and calmly to the bottom and stayed there! Suffice it to say swimming lessons started young in my house. I can't remember not being able to swim.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 wrote:

When I was a kid, yeah. I don't go to the pool these days. But anyway, there were always people around the pool who'd have pulled me out if I'd needed it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

My dad famously used me to test a theory he had that babies under 3 months would swim automatically on being submerged in water by throwing me in our pool aged 2 months. Apparently I sank cheerfully and calmly to the bottom and stayed there! Suffice it to say swimming lessons started young in my house. I can't remember not being able to swim.

You see why you might have a slightly skewed view on this. I could be wrong, but LeTevin et al might not have had their own pool.

BTW, I recently found out that I don't float, at all. I distinctly remember doing 'mushroom floats' at primary school. I seem to be more dense now :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

You see why you might have a slightly skewed view on this. I could be wrong, but LeTevin et al might not have had their own pool.

BTW, I recently found out that I don't float, at all. I distinctly remember doing 'mushroom floats' at primary school. I seem to be more dense now :?

:lol:

Believe it or not, owning your own pool is not a prerequisite. ;)

When we moved away from that house I swam in the river.
  • rjsterry
    But it certainly gives you a head start.

You'll be pleased to know that the littl'un already has her first swimming badge - at 13 months. At the local sport centre, not in the Wandle.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    "Black respondents, far more than white or Hispanic respondents, were sometimes concerned about the effect chlorinated water would have on their hair."

If only there was a regular contributor to this board, comfortable enough with their own masculinity to discuss issues such as, say, 'nad waxing and moisturising, we could we call upon for an in depth education on this issue???????

:twisted: :wink:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    When we moved away from that house I swam in the moat.

FTFY
  • rjsterry
    PBo wrote:
    "Black respondents, far more than white or Hispanic respondents, were sometimes concerned about the effect chlorinated water would have on their hair."

If only there was a regular contributor to this board, comfortable enough with their own masculinity to discuss issues such as, say, 'nad waxing and moisturising, we could we call upon for an in depth education on this issue???????

:twisted: :wink:

I've seen some nasty effects on Caucasian hair TBF.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:
    When we moved away from that house I swam in the moat.

FTFY

:lol:

I lived in a crappy town of 4000 people it had a pool
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I f*cking hate swimming.

That is all.
  • Clever Pun
    Agent57 wrote:
    When I was a kid, yeah. I don't go to the pool these days. But anyway, there were always people around the pool who'd have pulled me out if I'd needed it.

Bam! today's society in a nutshell... and if they didn't help you; take em to court
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Agent57 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

My life has never been threatened by being unable to swim. Just as it hasn't been threatened by being unable to fly.

I tweaked my post... imo (not yours obviously) I feel you're missing out on a lot life has to offer
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    I f*cking hate swimming.

That is all.

no swimming trunks that match your skin?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I f*cking hate swimming.

That is all.

no swimming trunks that match your skin?

You ever tried wearing white trunks? Not a good idea.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Tragic story, can't imagine what the family is going through.

I was an early developer on the old swimming!

Morgsinflips.jpg
  • Ha ha, you've not changed a bit.
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    I agree (even though I can swim) with those who manage to stay away from deep water and so maintain that swimming skills are not necessary.

One good thing about those skills however is that they can make a beach holiday (sometimes unavoidable if you go out with a woman) much more bearable by giving me the opportunity to bob around in the sea for a long time, passing the time of day. And nothing else. Which reminds me of one of the reasons why I hate indoor swimming pools so much.
  • Agent57
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Bam! today's society in a nutshell... and if they didn't help you; take em to court

Well, it was 25-30 years ago, so I'm not sure the "society in a nutshell" comment is that relevant. I wasn't concerned with whether I could swim or not, I was just content with splashing around in the shallow end. I didn't feel unsafe, I didn't "expect saving" and jump in the deep end thinking "well it's their job to look after me"; but I knew that if I did have a problem, the lifeguards were there. I dare say they'd have been necessary if I was learning to swim, or just not a very good swimmer as well.
  • Agent57
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

I tweaked my post... imo (not yours obviously) I feel you're missing out on a lot life has to offer

Well, as you say, my opinion differs. I never enjoyed being in the pool, for example, which is probably why I never bothered to learn to swim. I got cold, or the water flowed into my nose and down my throat, or whatever it was; but overall I didn't think it was fun. As a consequence, I don't feel I'm missing out on much. The only thing I can particularly think of is rowing. I've done a lot of work on the C2 ergo, and I'd quite like to try proper rowing one day perhaps.

As for the leaving my home town part; I can do that perfectly fine. There's a huge amount I can do without having to be a swimmer. Perhaps SCUBA diving isn't one of them mind. =)
  • I f*cking hate swimming.

I f*cking love swimming :D

Which reminds me that now the kids are back at school the urine to water ratio at the local pool should be returning to a more acceptable level soon.

Time to dig out the speedos :wink:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Well, as you say, my opinion differs. I never enjoyed being in the pool, for example, which is probably why I never bothered to learn to swim. I got cold, or the water flowed into my nose and down my throat, or whatever it was; but overall I didn't think it was fun.

I was exactly the same when I was kid, I just hated being in the water. My parents would take me to the pool and I would just stand in the shallow end screaming. I eventually learned to swim on the mandatory school swimming lessons but only really because I didn't want to be the only kid that couldn't.

I never really swam much after that until a few years ago a mate at work suggested I should try it to lose some weight. For some reason I really got into it and have been a keen swimmer ever since.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.