Ethnicity and the Cycling

1101112131416»

Comments

• Michael McIntyre said said in a sketch once that he loves using odd words for spelling out things, Knife for K etc, Xylophone for X etc.

The fun bit for me is using it to spell out my surname! I also get worried as sometimes I draw a blank on certain letters and end up wanting to spurt out the first rude word that pops into my head, I remember once in one of those "what career will suit you" tests I did at high school we where given a list of letters with 2 missing in the middle. as it was timed when presented with S & G I put in LA :-) Might say more about the school I went to I guess.....wasn't until after wards I realized maybe LU would have been more appropriate :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Michael McIntyre said said in a sketch once that he loves using odd words for spelling out things, Knife for K etc, Xylophone for X etc.
    :-) Like it!
    ...we where given a list of letters with 2 missing in the middle. as it was timed when presented with S & G I put in LA :-) Might say more about the school I went to I guess.....

Was it in a mining/steelworking area? Lots of slag around those...

Cheers,
    W.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Aahh the phonetic alphabet! Don't know why, but I'm a little aspergers about it. Always use it on the phone etc - particularly to overseas call centres.

But I get disproportionately irritated by the incorrect use of "'S' for 'sugar'' - just because the phonetic sound is "sh" not "S". (even though, of course, Charlie has a similar issue!)

I learnt it when I was small, 'cos my dad was a fireman, and the freebie diary he got from the Union and gave to me had it in the back.

Interested that there are different versions - this is the one I know - what differences are there with others?

alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, foxtrot, golf, hotel, india, juliet, kilo, lima, mike, november, oscar, papa, quebec, romeo, sierra, tango, umbrella, victor, whiskey, x-ray yankee, zulu.

[nostalgia] Anyone remember "Juliet Bravo" from the 80's? [/nostalgia]

and the written Irish phonetic alphabet must be a bl00dy nightmare!

O = Eoghan
    K = Caoimhe
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    OK, now I'm confoosed. Which of those alphabet thingys is used in the UK? I tend to make up my own version which can make for interesting comments :)

Stand down. I UTFS and found it :roll:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    PBo wrote:
    Interested that there are different versions - this is the one I know - what differences are there with others?

Wikipedia has a few minor differences, and the same page has details of some of the old RN & RAF alphabets. Then there's the LAPD version.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    PBo wrote:
    Aahh the phonetic alphabet! Don't know why, but I'm a little aspergers about it. Always use it on the phone etc - particularly to overseas call centres.

But I get disproportionately irritated by the incorrect use of "'S' for 'sugar'' - just because the phonetic sound is "sh" not "S". (even though, of course, Charlie has a similar issue!)

I learnt it when I was small, 'cos my dad was a fireman, and the freebie diary he got from the Union and gave to me had it in the back.

alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, foxtrot, golf, hotel, india, juliet, kilo, lima, mike, november, oscar, papa, quebec, romeo, sierra, tango, umbrella, victor, whiskey, x-ray yankee, zulu.

O = Eoghan
    K = Caoimhe

No, no, no U is for Uniform, surely.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ...we where given a list of letters with 2 missing in the middle. as it was timed when presented with S & G I put in LA :-) Might say more about the school I went to I guess.....

Was it in a mining/steelworking area? Lots of slag around those...

Cheers,
    W.

At the time I don't think I was aware of the alternative meaning for slag, but then I did attend a "failing" south London school - mainly due to the fact that the previous head thought he was gods gift to bad kids so took on every oik that was expelled from the neighbouring schools! He Foxtrot Oscared when I started which meant we had 4 years of idiots above me!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Agent57 wrote:
    Heheh, we monkeys must stick together. ;) My forum handles on other fora include Monkey!, Irrepressible Stone Monkey and IrrepressibleMonkey. And I was born in the year of the monkey. :D

greatsageequalofheaven.gif
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    I loved that programme :lol:
  • PBo
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBo wrote:

O = Eoghan
    K = Caoimhe

No, no, no U is for Uniform, surely.

Doh, of course.....

...subliminal distraction - guess what was playing on he radio whilst I was typing.....

ella, ella, ella, hey hey hey
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When I was a manager at a call centre dealing with loads of product codes, I got fed up hearing all the girls (I was the only bloke in there) saying things like "S for Shoe" "H for Handbag", "I for Ice", "T for Tremble" that I stuck the correct ICAO on everyone's monitor.

If I heard them get it wrong three times, they had to make the room a round of tea/coffee. Get it right and get extra biscuits.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I use this as my avatar:

monkey-avatar.jpg

\o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • PBo
    Cafewanda wrote:

+1 Piigssaaaayyyy!!

(not that I'm implying you have any porcine resemblance, CW!)
  • @CW - This is from way out left field, but I think I may have ridden past you last week/week before just after Clapham Common after the "hill" past Shell/Burger King. I didn't want to just ask some random female if they post on BR or yell your name so instead went for a "slightly to long, that was creepy....." look over my shoulder :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    Little person on a child's bike? Yeah, that was CW!

She's gonna hit me again!

• Cafewanda
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    When I was a manager at a call centre dealing with loads of product codes, I got fed up hearing all the girls (I was the only bloke in there) saying things like "S for Shoe" "H for Handbag", "I for Ice", "T for Tremble" that I stuck the correct ICAO on everyone's monitor.

If I heard them get it wrong three times, they had to make the room a round of tea/coffee. Get it right and get extra biscuits.

And what was wrong with those words? Would it have been ok if they used male-oriented words? On top of that you wanted them to put on weight :shock: :lol:

Sexist, weightist pig :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    PBo wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

+1 Piigssaaaayyyy!!

(not that I'm implying you have any porcine resemblance, CW!)

Way too late PBo. I are heartbrokenly offended :cry:
  • Cafewanda
    @CW - This is from way out left field, but I think I may have ridden past you last week/week before just after Clapham Common after the "hill" past Shell/Burger King. I didn't want to just ask some random female if they post on BR or yell your name so instead went for a "slightly to long, that was creepy....." look over my shoulder :-)

That was you? :shock: I did wonder for a brief second, then thought nobody could possibly be looking at me so went back to letting my mind roam. Next time holla as you speed into the distance :)
  • Cafewanda
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Little person on a child's bike? Yeah, that was CW!

She's gonna hit me again!

You are so right! Will borrow LiT's rolled-up newspaper especially for this task :twisted:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

And what was wrong with those words? Would it have been ok if they used male-oriented words? On top of that you wanted them to put on weight :shock: :lol:

Sexist, weightist pig :wink:

He's a feeder...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    How are Ice and Tremble sexist?
    They used random words and would have to think about what word to use every time. Having a set alphabet in front of them saves them having to think about what word to use for Q.

The stock codes we used were like this: GSKT2D2T. Mainly letters so there was lots of self-induced confusion.

Also, they didn't need any help putting on weight. As Marjorie Dawes of Fat Fighters said in Little Britain, "They love the cake!"

• Cafewanda
    The newspaper will still be used :P
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    @CW - This is from way out left field, but I think I may have ridden past you last week/week before just after Clapham Common after the "hill" past Shell/Burger King. I didn't want to just ask some random female if they post on BR or yell your name so instead went for a "slightly to long, that was creepy....." look over my shoulder :-)

That was you? :shock: I did wonder for a brief second, then thought nobody could possibly be looking at me so went back to letting my mind roam. Next time holla as you speed into the distance :)

:-D I shall keep my eyes peeled again as (bar the last 2 days this week) I shall be using that same route for the next fortnight! Next time I should just trust my SCR instinct :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • So to tie the two top threads together - would King Kong be good at hills, TT's or more of a long distance rider?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • So to tie the two top threads together - would King Kong be good at hills, TT's or more of a long distance rider?

Defo a Jens Voight "rouleur" type.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    So to tie the two top threads together - would King Kong be good at hills, TT's or more of a long distance rider?

Sprinter

Fat boys always are
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg66 wrote:
    So to tie the two top threads together - would King Kong be good at hills, TT's or more of a long distance rider?

Sprinter

Fat boys always are

Clearly he'd be a climber, look how well he gets up a skyscraper :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5