Ethnicity and the Cycling

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, just so you don't continue repeating false accusations, Liv said that not teaching children to swim was idiotic, not that their names were idiotic.

<< Rubs his head >>

Its been a while since you jumped blindly to the defence of a woman against the blight that is DDD... :roll:

I went on to say that it's not idiotic not teaching your kids to swim or not being able to. Some people don't have the opportunity, again, that is not idiotic, it is unforntunate.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Why do you have an Australian name?

Oooh, thin ice, my young Welsh-monikered fried, thin ice.

It is Scottish. One might conclude that it has been adopted by the former penal colony on account of the high proportion of Scots sent out there... :twisted:

If Welsh you would be called 'Grig'. :lol:

My name is now usually a girl's name thanks to those pesky yanks.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    All you people with your silly names. Makes me laugh.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Why do you have an Australian name?

Oooh, thin ice, my young Welsh-monikered fried, thin ice.

It is Scottish. One might conclude that it has been adopted by the former penal colony on account of the high proportion of Scots sent out there... :twisted:

If Welsh you would be called 'Grig'. :lol:

My name is now usually a girl's name thanks to those pesky yanks.

If he were a saffa he'd be called Grig whether he liked it or not.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    But the point is that it is a different language.

Language especially English has evolved (hahaha, the woman in the office just burped as I'm typing this then tried to cover it by fake coughing and clearly her chest, hahahahaha). I doubt that English in America will follow the same path as English over here, it hasn't.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    (hahaha, the woman in the office just burped as I'm typing this then tried to cover it by fake coughing and clearly her chest, hahahahaha).

Is it bad that I laughed almost uncontrollably when I read that?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Language especially English has evolved (hahaha, the woman in the office just burped as I'm typing this then tried to cover it by fake coughing and clearly her chest, hahahahaha). I doubt that English in America will follow the same path as English over here, it hasn't.

There's a woman in your office, how thoroughly modern. Does she make the tea, or just type?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

There's a woman in your office, how thoroughly modern. Does she make the tea, or just type?

You sexist pig! Women are allowed to do the filing these days, I'll have you know.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Actually, when I got in today she told me I look quite trim and that I've lost weight and then asked if I want a cup of tea.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

She is probably called Dave, but that is fine.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Actually, when I got in today she told me I look quite trim and that I've lost weight and then asked if I want a cup of tea.

So she compliments you and then makes tea? Even better!
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Offering a cup of tea is a euphemism for something else, didn't you know?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    To presume a person's background based solely on their name is presumptuous at best, prejudice at worst.

Totally and utterly agree - but we do need to recognise the sad fact that most of us do this, whatever our best intentions....
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the name 'JaVonDre Tarniqua Blingman' there is nothing wrong with 'Martha Billingsford-Rembrandt'.

Unless you are using predictive typing on your mobile :lol:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think name preference rises from external social influences, it isn't my place to judge the sensibility of a name that arise from other social structures. On a personal level I wouldn't name my children with either of the above but that doesn't make the names stupid, idiotic, pretentious or implies any social or class standing IMO

But names DO imply social or class standing, to some extent, even if you personally are open minded enough to look past that.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    (JaVonDre could be the son of P-Diddy or some such multi-millionaire, Martha could be the daughter of two people in low pay, low skilled jobs).

Social standing is as much about attitudes as money. I'm not an expert on Puff Daddy/P-Diddy, but I guess - like many rappers - he came from a tough 'hood'. Just because he made enough money to bathe in Kristal doesn't necessarily mean his attitudes have fundamentally shifted.

I'm sure we all know people who are essentially working class, but because they maybe run their own successful business (plumbers, eh. £80 an hour? How do they make a profit? :wink: ) they have a big house, nice car and dress well. But they can still behave in other "low class" ways.

So, even if she's dressed really well and wearing expensive jewellery, if I get talking to a women named Britney, I'm honestly still going to be expecting her to be relatively lower class in her outlook.....does that make me bad?
  • DonDaddyD
    PBo wrote:

Social standing is as much about attitudes as money. I'm not an expert on Puff Daddy/P-Diddy, but I guess - like many rappers - he came from a tough 'hood'. Just because he made enough money to bathe in Kristal doesn't necessarily mean his attitudes have fundamentally shifted.

I'm sure we all know people who are essentially working class, but because they maybe run their own successful business (plumbers, eh. £80 an hour? How do they make a profit? :wink: ) they have a big house, nice car and dress well. But they can still behave in other "low class" ways.

So, even if she's dressed really well and wearing expensive jewellery, if I get talking to a women named Britney, I'm honestly still going to be expecting her to be relatively lower class in her outlook.....does that make me bad?

Sean Puffy Combs (P-diddy) has a business degree from Harvard... The only thing ghetto or gangsta about him was the market he exploited to make money.

I'm not a big fan of the whole defined by class structure. It means nothing to me. Anyone can go commando and leave the toilet without washing their hands. Name, as much as wealth has nothing to do with the quality of the person or how much or how little they respect themselves or how well they can conduct themselves in certain environments.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Name, as much as wealth has nothing to do with the quality of the person or how much or how little they respect themselves or how well they can conduct themselves in certain environments.

Oh, if only that were true.
    FCN - 10
  • DonDaddyD
    It is.

If it wasn't are we saying on socio-demographic grouping has better people than the other?
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DDD, in practice/reality a massive majority of people are prone to making prejudicial and ill-informed judgements about people and things, whether they realise it or not, and whether they understand it's wrong or not. I certainly do.

No-one is suggesting anyone is "better" than anyone else, so stop trying to get such a blatant rise out of folks :)
  • biondino wrote:
    DDD, in practice/reality a massive majority of people are prone to making prejudicial and ill-informed judgements about people and things, whether they realise it or not, and whether they understand it's wrong or not. I certainly do.

Completely agreed. I do as well. It's naive to think otherwise.
    FCN - 10
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

Completely agreed. I do as well. It's naive to think otherwise.

We can have a separate philosophical argument about it if you like, where we're talking about a perfect, theoretical situation, but I think we'd all pretty quickly agree that bigotry is wrong so that'd be that!
  • I thought I was agreeing.

Did I not?
    FCN - 10
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is.

If it wasn't are we saying on socio-demographic grouping has better people than the other?

This country is riddled with class divide. Name, class, accent etc. mean a huge amount. This is pure horrid snobbery, but it is true.

Wealth in many ways is secondary. A millionaire footballer will always be a chav in the eyes of many, residing in some naff but expensive mock-tudor pile, and his kids will probably not be regarded as middle class even if they go to a posh school.
  • DonDaddyD

I understand that it exists, the human mind generalises, it tries to find patterns, familiarity, trends in order to better identify with an object, person etc.

Thias becomes wrong if our natural tendency for presumption is used in a defamartory manner.

We can make presumptions, we can assume a lifestyle, we shouldn't be prejudice. We have our initial assumptions, we should always allow for those to be challeneged and proven wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

• _Brun_
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is.

This country is riddled with class divide. Name, class, accent etc. mean a huge amount. This is pure horrid snobbery, but it is true.
    It is so true. While at the Morpeth I often find it quite awkward fraternising with people who I'm obviously better than. Fortunately alcohol is very good at bringing me down to their level.
  • biondino
    And then further down to the level of the tarmac.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    It is so true. While at the Morpeth I often find it quite awkward fraternising with people who I'm obviously better than. Fortunately alcohol is very good at bringing me down to their level.

and that's just the barmaids let alone the others you find in there...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • _Brun_
    biondino wrote:
    And then further down to the level of the tarmac.
    You're confusing me with someone else. In my case it's nights out in Camden that result in road intimacy.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Greg66 wrote:
    You'd probably be quite good at fighting though. I think Johnny Cash once did a song based on the first premise.

If I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name!

(Actually, I named my son Elias, and my daughter Indiana; are they normal enough?)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    You'd probably be quite good at fighting though. I think Johnny Cash once did a song based on the first premise.

If I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name!

(Actually, I named my son Elias, and my daughter Indiana; are they normal enough?)

We're about to call our cat Indiana. Perhaps one of our kids will adopt it as their name.

Sallah: Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
    Professor Henry Jones: That's his name.
    [points to himself]
    Professor Henry Jones: Henry Jones...
    [points to Indy]
    Professor Henry Jones: ...Junior.
    Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
    Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
    Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
    Sallah: The dog?
    [starts laughing]
    Sallah: You are named after the dog? HA HA HA...!
    Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Greg66 wrote:
    [points to himself]
    [points to Indy]
    [starts laughing]

Yeah, we named her after the same dog. Elias is named after Willem Dafoe's character in Platoon.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    [points to himself]
    [points to Indy]
    [starts laughing]

Yeah, we named her after the same dog. Elias is named after Willem Dafoe's character in Platoon.

Hmmm - might want to tell her that she's named after an action hero, rather than a dog that never appears on screen, no?

Otherwise, don't blame me when she's up the top of the high school water tower trying to fix the crosshairs on someone...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A