When you're not cycling what do you do?

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:
    So all you take-away adherents. Do you ask for a medium, or a grande? :wink:
    The latter. When in Rome....
    And in truth, one has to ask for "a coffee" in a special code, but such things are available.

God, listening to you lot would lead one to believe that great coffee was widely available in the UK before the green goddess and all of her earthen coloured logoed clones descended from heaven and saved us from tiny cups of luke warm bitter drain water.

Just so you know, my real name is Advocate. Mr D Advocate. I rarely visit SB's - I have an intergrated caffiterre / thermal mug with me at all times, in which I load copious amounts of the darkest roast I can find. If it doesn't taste of charcoal, its not dark enough.
  • So hang on.... it goes tall --> grande --> venti?

Venti? Twenty? Twenty what?

FFS. This is another one for my 'reasons I dislike american globalism' list.

Twenty regular cups of coffee.

A venti is like a bucket. Of coffee. It's the equivalent of the dustbins of popcorn they sell in cinemas.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • So hang on.... it goes tall --> grande --> venti?

A venti is like a bucket. Of coffee. It's the equivalent of the dustbins of popcorn they sell in cinemas.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • MMMmmmmmmm I love the smelll of vitriol in the evening... smells like victory.

And I would say that it was possible to get good coffee. I certainly had many a good coffee in italian restaurants/coffee places before the jolly green giant took such a ridiculous hold... I mean the street I used to work on... berkeley street in Mayfair, it's about 100yards long. 2 starbucks. FFS.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:

Actually I generally ask for a mid-sized, relatively strong, black coffee.

I think the only words they understand are 'coffee' and 'please'.
    Trust me, if you go in and get a pint of americano with about 4 extra shots, it does the trick and isn't in the least bit syrupy.

Eurgh. Every extra shot is just more sandy badness lurking at the bottom of the oversized paper cup. I'd rather make it myself in a ray mears style. Where is my flint and percolator kit?
    Stop there young lady - what are you doing filtering out all of the nutrients? The silt is where its at, the caffine, that just burned taste, all the carcinogens (which are good for you).

I find filter coffee bland. For one thing, it can't support the weight of a spoon.

Agree with you on the paper cup thing, though. Its a bit better since they put those "contents may be hot" warnings on the lids, but I still prefer to drink from aluminum.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    So hang on.... it goes tall --> grande --> venti?

It's like the 'large' or 'trenti' or 'cinquecento' or whatever in surprisingly-high-costa... where the cups have 2 handles because no man alive has the wrist strength to pick it up with one hand. That, if you have it strong and black, is TOO MUCH COFFEE. I had one at stansted waiting for a car after a weekend on the p!ss in spain, nearly suffered a heart failure on my way home.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Breakfast coffee in Italian alpine huts comes in bowls, requires no milk, no sugar and persuades you that you really want to haul yourself up to 4000m at 2am - anything else is just coloured water 8) 8)
  • Greg66 wrote:
    The latter. When in Rome....
    And in truth, one has to ask for "a coffee" in a special code, but such things are available.

God, listening to you lot would lead one to believe that great coffee was widely available in the UK before the green goddess and all of her earthen coloured logoed clones descended from heaven and saved us from tiny cups of luke warm bitter drain water.

Just so you know, my real name is Advocate. Mr D Advocate. I rarely visit SB's - I have an intergrated caffiterre / thermal mug with me at all times, in which I load copious amounts of the darkest roast I can find. If it doesn't taste of charcoal, its not dark enough.

What's a caffiterre? Is it like a coffee flavoured potato? :D

My folks used to have a percolator. God, what a faff that was. And it sounded like someone fcuking in slow motion. And reaching what could only be described as a quite mellow climax.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Greg66 wrote:
    So hang on.... it goes tall --> grande --> venti?

It's like the 'large' or 'trenti' or 'cinquecento' or whatever in surprisingly-high-costa... where the cups have 2 handles because no man alive has the wrist strength to pick it up with one hand. That, if you have it strong and black, is TOO MUCH COFFEE. I had one at stansted waiting for a car after a weekend on the p!ss in spain, nearly suffered a heart failure on my way home.

Ah now there's nothing I like better (dreadful lie but it's a figure of speech isn't it) than to go to Waterstones, buy some new books (usually cycling related), go to the resident Costa cafe, get one of those soup-bowls of strong, black coffee, and settle down with one of the books. And a chocolate cake. Mmmm.

But I suppose I'm used to it. I drink strong, black coffee from a pint mug at home.

Did I mention I have trouble sleeping?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    About to fire up the coffee machine, actually. Tax return and what not.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've settled for the wine+QI option... ah the joys of PAYE.

What do you mean I'm meant to do one anyway? Investment income? P!ss off. :wink:
  • cjcp
    I've settled for the wine+QI option... ah the joys of PAYE.

That's just the bit I'm checking, since we can do it over t'web nowadays.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I have a man to do that sort of thing for me.

Unfortunately, the little s0d doesn't pay the resultant bill :x

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp wrote:
    I've settled for the wine+QI option... ah the joys of PAYE.

That's just the bit I'm checking, since we can do it over t'web nowadays.

This is actually almost on-topic... when not cycling you do tax returns, whereas I drink wine and watch QI...
  • The nice lady who does that for the rest of the family sorts it so there is no bill...
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    I have a man to do that sort of thing for me.

That's a tad annoying.

Did the coffee cups count as a business expense? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    I have a man to do that sort of thing for me.

That's a tad annoying.

Did the coffee cups count as a business expense? :wink:

Bloody right they did. And the saucers. :absence of wink: :straight face:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    8)

Bikes 1 and 2? Go on. Tell me they are.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    8)

He reclaims the vat on his food. It's fuel. 40p a mile...

disclaimer: I realise I have no idea how this works. I have never had to deal with this myself.
  • cjcp wrote:
    8)

If only.

If they were, there'd be a Bike 3 in a hearbeat and maybe a four. And some Edge wheels. And ...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Talking of Edges, I'm considering how to break the news to the good lady that I would like new wheels. I don't think it's going to be well received.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Don't tell her. Maintain that you got them second hand off ebay. Or that you've had them for ages.
  • cjcp
    Don't tell her. Maintain that you got them second hand off ebay. Or that you've had them for ages.

That sort of thing doesn't get under the radar. Only things like tyres, lights and Cateye Astrales do.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Greg66 wrote:
    If they were, there'd be a Bike 3 in a hearbeat and maybe a four. And some Edge wheels. And ...

You could start a cycle tours business. Be a shame if you did, bought all those lovely bikes (capital expense, 50% allowance first year if your turnover is <£10M or something) and then got no customers and had to ride them yourself. A real shame indeed. And after 3 years they'd have depreciated to zero value and the business could (ahem) dispose of them. Probably.

My cousin runs a coffee shop in Belfast. Best Americano in the city centre, and, to me, only a quid. One of those gets me going better than whatever it is they put in the work coffee grinder machine.

Real coffee can be used as a chain degreaser. FACT. Therefore, if it doesn't degrease your chain, it can't be real coffee. Try it yourself!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Anyone in this country still drink tea?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linoue wrote:
    Anyone in this country still drink tea?

MTFU!
    :lol:
  • cjcp
    linoue wrote:

Rancid stuff.

Unless it's peppermint or green tea. Loverly. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    linoue wrote:

I do :-)
    Tea. Earl Grey. Hot

Is one of my favourites :-) Brewed from fresh of course and not that rubbish from Twinings either!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Apologies for that strange multipost... no idea what went wrong there.

9 posts?

Early onset Parkinsons?

Look I'm knackered after m first turbo session tonight.

Note to self, buy a large and powerful fan.

:wink: Psst. Wanna buy a fan?

No. I had enough trouble getting the last thing you sold me to work. :lol:

There's a joke in there somewhere... wine is hiding it from me.

He can't get it out to change the battery.
    Dan
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    linoue wrote:

I do :-)
    Tea. Earl Grey. Hot

Is one of my favourites :-) Brewed from fresh of course and not that rubbish from Twinings either!

Yes, yes and yes.

(Can't drink coffee no more it no longer agrees with my soul...)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game