Anyone up for a spin in North Wales?

Comments

• pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Sorry Jon. Can't do friday. :(

I forgot I was in Manchester with the mrs. We're going to see Cirque du Soleil and treat ourselves to a night in a posh hotel while the little one is away for the weekend with her Nanna and Grandad.

Got to be back at lunch time on saturday to pick the dog up from the kennels so I might get out for a gentle spin in the afternoon.

I was planning on getting over to the Cat early on Sunday to sign on. How are you getting over? Do you need a lift?
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Cirque du Soleil ! I'm ever so slightly envious. I hope you have a great time. No worries about Friday but if you need some company on Saturday give me a shout.

I'd love a lift thanks, it'll save getting the train over. What time we're you thinking of leaving? What distance are you doing again?
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm back home on Saturday, so would be up for a ride on Sunday - but I guess everyone will be rushing to the roads I'm rushing away from :D
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pugwashcp
    No worries Jon, plenty of room in the van for one more and there's no point you dragging yourself over there on the train when I'm driving over anyway. I'm down to do the 66 miler but I'm thinking of changing up to the ton on the day (I think I can do that)

Signing on starts at 8am so I was going to head off at around 7-ish.
  • Elganesh
    Fantastic, that's a load off my mind. I'll be doing the 100 miler myself. I've got a fair number of people sponsoring me to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. If I do it in under 8 hours the money goes up, though I'm not sure how hard I'm going to have to push myself yet. I'll be glad just to make it round.

7 sounds good. Where do you want to meet up?
  • pugwashcp
    How about 7am at the top monkey?
  • Elganesh
    That's great. I'll see you there.

The weather's looking like it's getting even better now.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Good luck guys for Sunday - wish I could be there; maybe we'll do it next year!

Christian got a mention in the local Rhyl paper as being the youngest rider on the reliability ride we did the other week, not seen any photo's yet, I'll send them on if I get some.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Elganesh
    Christian deserves it!

I haven't seen any of the photos form the ride yet either. There's one especially of a few of us going up a hill with faces of pain.

We had only just got back on our bikes!
  • Elganesh
    Guys, I'm off on Friday and Sunday this week if anyone fancies a ride. Not a massive one though as my legs are still a little sore from the Cheshire Cat. I did the 102 miles in 7 hours 23 minutes and managed to get up all the climbs so I'm pretty chuffed.

Thanks again to pugwashcp for the transport and I'm sorry I wasn't much of a conversationalist on the way back!

Give me a shout if anyones up for it.
  • redddraggon
    I'm free everyday
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh
    How about Sunday then? We could maybe nip along to the Deeside Olympic ride and see if we can keep up?
  • redddraggon
    Elganesh wrote:
    How about Sunday then? We could maybe nip along to the Deeside Olympic ride and see if we can keep up?

Could give it ago I suppose.

Deeside Olympic just don't seem very welcoming - I'm used to being able to see exactly what's going on with the Wheelers (what with the publicly viewable forum, rides lists etc), but Deeside Olympic feel very closed off - nothing of substance on their website.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh / Reddragon

I was made very welcome. As for the forum its just a bit of banter between the lads. Regarding the rides they are normally decided on the day, depending on weather conditions. Also you don't have to take turns on the front you can stay in the middle or near the back. Definately improved my cycling going out with them. Don't know what sort of pace you are use to Reddragon, but if you can keep up with Elganesh you should be ok. If you do decide to give it a go just remember to bring enough food and drink as they don't do cafe stops.
  • jonah1
    jonah1 Posts: 27
    Just thought I'd say well done to Elganesh and pugwash for an excellent performance at the Cheshire Cat.

Sounds like it was a great day, unfortunatly I had to spend 16hrs in work on the nicest day of the year.

I'll be MTBing this weekend probably at Llandegla if anyone fancies it, got to get some training in for the Merida 100 in May.
  • Elganesh
    jonah1 wrote:
    Just thought I'd say well done to Elganesh and pugwash for an excellent performance at the Cheshire Cat.

Cheers, it was a fantastic day, you would have loved it. I made plenty of new friends along the way and I'm looking forward to my next sportive immensely.

This is me on Mow Cop. The photos have proved to me that I really need a new helmet! I'll still be getting a copy to hang on the wall though.

http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p57194268.html

Redddraggon, I'm happy just to get out and ride, so if you have a route you'd like to do or new places to explore I'll be there. I think Deeside Olympic might be a little too much for my legs this soon after the Cheshire Cat.

Don't worry Steve, I'll definately put in a show very soon!
  • pugwashcp
    Cheers Jonah.

Had a cracking day and quite happy to get round in eight and a half hours on the winter bike. Already looking forward to the Lakeland Loop on the 12th.

Hoping to have the summer bike on the road in time (waiting for a stem to be delivered) and planning on taking it easy for the first few miles and saving my legs for the big climbs later in the ride.

On a seperate note. Don't know if I'll be getting out this weekend. The wife is working so I have the little one. If the mother-in-law can take her for a few hours I may manage a quick spin but I'm not counting on it.
  • dsmiff
    Photo from the Rhyl Reliability ride, I'm the one who looks like he has been dragged through a hedge backwards!!

Reliability%202009%20%2864%29.jpg
  • pugwashcp
    I would be the one on the left that looks like he has no neck! :?

While I'm here....Is my mind playing tricks on me or do I remember someone saying that Rhyl CC were organising a 100 miler along the same lines (with cake stop opportunities) on the 14th June? Mrs P is working and the little one is away with her Nanna and Grandad so I have a weekend pass........YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :D
  • redddraggon
    14th June? I'm back from Uni then, I might give that a go :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Anyone riding this weekend?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ..not this weekend for riding...
    off to Vyrnwy for the scenery.. in charabanc
    did a 60 mile loop based on CW route around there a few weeks back and that will be repeated...roads quiet and loved the ascents
  • pugwashcp
    Mrs P is working this weekend so I've got the little one. Most I can hope for is a quick spin up onto Halkyn mountain for an hour after tea.

Can't complain though, I have the Midland Monster next weekend, the unofficial Gran Fondo Cymru on the 24th and then the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Challenge the week after that...... :D
  • Reddragon, there's a few of us doing the full DLMC route on Sunday if you fancy it. And its free.
  • redddraggon
    Reddragon, there's a few of us doing the full DLMC route on Sunday if you fancy it. And its free.

Alas 140+ super hilly miles, on a bike that doesn't fit me quite right, and not having ridden a decent ride for over 4 weeks, so it's beyond me at the moment
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh
    I've been looking for those photo's for ages! I'm the one with the least hair. Are there any more photo's anywhere?
  • Elganesh
    I just completed my first ever 10 mile time trial last Thursday 14th in a reasonable time of 28:14. Considering how wet it was and having to ride the 15 miles there and back I'm quite chuffed with myself! I'm going to have to learn how to pace myself a bit better though as the last 3 miles really took it out of me. I also took part in CRC's roller racing at the bike fair and came first for the whole day. It was a simulated sprint over 500m taking me 28.13 seconds though I'm not sure I could replicate that on the track!

Is anyone out riding over the next few weeks? I have a hankering to climb some hills.
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Elganesh et al

Are you in this

http://www.events.norvil.net/aqueduct/

if so give me a shout on the day (white rouxbaix going very slowly) about hilly rides in june. am doing the etape in July and there is a rumour there are some hills on that - cant be true as provence is pretty flat but better do some prep just in case its true.
  • dsmiff
    Another Rhyl ride if anyone is interested - may do the 100km, not sure yet:

http://rhylcyclingclub.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=399
  • pugwashcp
    I was planning on dusting off the mountain bike this weekend and heading for the Lakes but I have to say I'm tempted. Had a cracking day out with these guys earlier in the year and a leisurely 100 with a cake stop or two might just tempt me away from the dirt.

I think I'll wait to see what the weather does.