Anyone up for a spin in North Wales?

Comments

• Sorry to hear that Jon.

Mrs P and the little one went to bed for a couple of hours so I managed to get out this afternoon for a spin.

Did a loop from Northop out to Penbarras (Mold side) via Gwernaffield and Loggerheads then headed along the valley to Llangwyfan before climbing up and over to Nannerch and back to Northop along the Mold-Denbigh road via Soughton.

If the feeling has returned to my toes by then I should be good to go next Sunday.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Elganesh

You must have just missed us. We left at 10am exactly. However we went out the back way from Summerfield carpark up some lanes I've never seen before and headed towards Nercwys and then on to Ruthin, again using roads I'd never used before. It was a long day, did not get home until 4pm. I'm thinking of going out with Deeside Olympic next week. They meet in the car park at Broughton retail park 9.30am. Apparently they do between 50 - 60 miles, but I imagine the pace will be pretty quick. At least I'll be able to see how I'm doing.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Bummer, I'll have to make sure I'm more punctual next time!

Is the Deeside Olympic ride on a Sunday aswell? It would be good to see how long it takes before I start to suffer :?

I ended up doing a few laps round Flint Mountain, Northop Hall and Oakenholt. Last time I rode to Denbigh and Ruthin we passed a shooting party and I had a near miss with a falling pheasant!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Elganesh
    Bummer, I'll have to make sure I'm more punctual next time!

Is the Deeside Olympic ride on a Sunday aswell? It would be good to see how long it takes before I start to suffer :?

I ended up doing a few laps round Flint Mountain, Northop Hall and Oakenholt. Last time I rode to Denbigh and Ruthin we passed a shooting party and I had a near miss with a falling pheasant!
  • Yes its on a Sunday as far as I know. They meet at Broughton retail park 9.30am. Have read about some of their rides on their website. Not sure of the terrain they go on but they are normally out for about 3 - 4 hours. But like I said it will probably be faster than normal, but at least I'll be able to gauge how I'm going. Apparently its only £10 to join so I might even consider joining providing I can keep up ok. I think you have to have mudguards or race blades on as well.
  • You're a braver man than me Chubby!!

I've read a few accounts of the Olympic club runs and I get the distinct impression that I'd be chewed up and spat out the back the first time they hit a hill or upped the pace. :shock:
  • I've ridden with a few members of Deeside when doing the Wild Wales and kept up with them ok so I'm not too worried. Plus I'm not as Chubby as I used to be.
  • Elganesh
    Providing the weather holds out I'll be there, though I suspect I'll be dropped fairly quickly. You could always come along and keep me company at the back end pugwashcp.
  • Elganesh I went to Deeside Cycles today, had to get a new tyre. Anyway got chatting to one of the guys in the shop and asked him about their Sunday ride. They don't mind who comes along. Will see you there if your still going.
  • I went out with Deeside cycling club yesterday and had a very tuff day in the saddle. Enjoyed though. Faster than any sportive I've done. Managed to keep up, just. Will have another go this Sunday. Does beat going round on your own.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What sort of routes do they do? Do they wait at the top of hills?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The routes vary. The hills we went up were not that steep or long, but they do attack them. In the big ring most of the time. If anybody gets dropped they slow down for them to catch up. No one gets left behind. My chain came off and they eased off so that I could catch up. Very enjoyable day even though I was knackered at the end.
  • redddraggon
    I might join Deeside Olympic as second claim (not that I do any racing) for the summer, I live in Broughton so nice and close to the meeting point.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Might see you there on Sunday then. I think I'll be joining as well.
  • redddraggon
    Might see you there on Sunday then. I think I'll be joining as well.

Alas no, I'll be back in manchester for the bikeradar Cat and fiddle run :wink:

Probably be around Easter when I try going on a run with them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Have just plotted a 40-miler from Connahs Quay to the in-laws in Hope via Penbarras, Worlds End and Hope Mountain. I'll be tackling it on Saturday morning before the celebrations for the father-in-laws 60th kick off....not sure I'll be up for tackling it in reverse on Sunday though :?
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    Here's a nice 40 miler that you can start/finish in Shotton/Connahs Quay/Queensferry

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Clwyd-Roud

and a slightly harder one that takes in Nannerch

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Clwyd-Round-3
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • Elganesh
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Have just plotted a 40-miler from Connahs Quay to the in-laws in Hope via Penbarras, Worlds End and Hope Mountain. I'll be tackling it on Saturday morning before the celebrations for the father-in-laws 60th kick off....not sure I'll be up for tackling it in reverse on Sunday though :?

What time are you leaving on Saturday? If you want some company untill Penbarras, I've been itching to try out my new bike. Just got it today! Whoop!

I still haven't made it up Penbarras without getting off yet. Third time lucky I hope.
  • I was planning on heading off some time between 08:00 and 09:30

The weather looks like it's going to be good so I'm thinking of adding a mile or two and heading over the top of Halkyn Mountain to Nannerch and over the Moel Arthur road as opposed to heading out through Soughton, Gwernaffield and Loggerheads. So I'll be riding past the bottom of Penbarras on the Ruthin side if you fancy tackling it.

Although I am well aware I may struggle to match your pace......new bike syndrome will have you climbing like Pantani!! :D
  • Elganesh
    Whatever time is easiest for you, I'm can start at 8 through to 9:30. The new route sounds good and i was hoping we could go up from penbarras on the Ruthin side as I still haven't defeated it.

I'm not fussed about pace as I'm still a relative newbie and I'm still getting used to the new gears to be honest.

Let me know what time your starting and where from and I will be there on my shiny new trek (black/white and red). I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy new gear to match the colour scheme now!
  • Morning El.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night.

I'll be leaving the Quay at half nine and heading out through Northop and past the Horticultural college. I could meet you at the lights in Northop at quarter to ten-ish.
  • Elganesh
    Gah! I've had a bit of a family emergency, so I'm not going to make it this morning :(

Sorry pugwashcp.
  • No worries mate.

Maybe next week eh?
  • redddraggon
    I'm good for a ride next Saturday......(with new chain fitted :wink: )........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Sounds like a plan to me.

Had a cracking ride over to the in-laws yesterday. Halkyn mountain, Nannerch, Moel Arthur, The Wall, Horseshoe Pass and Worlds End. Just short of fifty VERY hilly miles with a cracking cup of coffee and Maple and Pecan slice at the Ponderosa. Feeling it in the legs today!!
  • Mmmmmm............ I'll see about joining in with you boys on Saturday maybe?!

It would be nice to go on a ride that doesn't go via Wilmslow, Knutsford or Alderly Edge!!!!!!
  • redddraggon
    I've got to say I don't fancy doing Pen Barras from Ruthin side but Mold side is fine :wink:

If anyone wants me to draw up a route I can, suggestions for starting places/distances will be taken on board, although I reckon Mold might be the best meeting place.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Sounds good to me.

It's a bit early in the year to be grinding up Penbarras from the Ruthin side. It's definately a summer climb as far as I'm concerned.

Any ideas for a cake stop? I've only ever ridden solo and the only places I've ever stopped are Llandegla and the Ponderosa.
  • redddraggon
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Any ideas for a cake stop? I've only ever ridden solo and the only places I've ever stopped are Llandegla and the Ponderosa.

I've never stopped :shock: I have stopped around the Moel Famau car park and ate the sandwiches I carried in my pocket though...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Well I can heartily recommend the visitor centre at Llandegla. It's reputed to serve one of the best bacon butties in the country, the hot chocolate and cakes are spot on AND there's a shop full of shiny bikes and bits to drool over (with a bias towards mountain bikes obviously)