Anyone up for a spin in North Wales?

Evening all.

It looks as though there are a few of us dotted around various parts of the North Wales/Chester area and judging by some of the posts I've read we're down to do some of the same sportives this summer...Gran Fondo, Cheshire Cat, Lakeland Loop, Dave Lloyd etc.

I've been getting some early miles in by commuting to work but I reckon it's time to start putting in some bigger weekend rides as well. I'm looking to start at around 30-40 miles and work up from there and I'a bit of company would be most welcome if anyone fancies it.

I know we all have to work our ride time in around shift patterns and family commitments so I thought I'd start a thread that we could use to keep track of when people are available.

I'll start the ball rolling.....

Available Saturday or Sunday this weekend and was thinking about a spin over to Penbarras and back from Northop.

P.S In case anyone was wondering about pace I think I should warn you that I'm in no danger whatsoever of being referred to as a 'racing whippet' my lung capacity bares no resemblance to that of a horse and the only way I'll ever see the short side of twelve stone is by chopping my legs off!
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Comments

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I'm available on both Saturday and Sunday, though I would suggest Sunday looking at the current weather forecasts. Penbarras is great with me but which side do you want to do it from, Mold or Ruthin?

As for pace, I'd rather cruise along and make it up to Penbarras than bonk.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Haven't checked the weather but Sunday is good for me.

I was thinking of doing a loop from Northop out towards Nannerch via Flint mountain and Licswm. Climbing up and over the Clwydian Range to Llangwyfan near Moel Arthur then heading down the valley to tackle Penbarras from the Ruthin side. Then back to Northop via Pantymwyn, Gwernaffield and Soughton/Sychdyn with the option of a cake stop at Loggerheads after tackling Penbarras to refuel the tank.

Should come in at around 27 fairly hilly miles with the big climb up Penbarras after 16.

If you wanted to put a few more miles in we could skip the climb over the range at Moel Arthur and loop around it's northern edge from Licswm to Llangwyfan via Caerwys and Bodfari. Which would bump it up to around 35 miles with Penbarras coming after 24.

Should be a good test of the legs at this time of year. :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited January 2009
    I would but I'm only around til Saturday morning, going back to Manchester in time for the Sunday club run.

I think the Mold side would be a better bet, last time I did the Ruthin side the slimy steep sections caused me to lose traction - I wouldn't fancy doing Ruthin side if it had been raining a couple of days before.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh

I think the Mold side would be a better bet, last time I did the Ruthin side the slimy steep sections caused me to lose traction - I wouldn't fancy doing Ruthin side if it had been raining a couple of days before.

I agree, Penbarras was fine today but it's going to be pretty windy on Sat and Sun and very cold too. I wouldn't want to go up there in those conditions from the Ruthin side. If we go up from Loggerheads then it will be a lot more sheltered and hopefully less slippy.

As for distance, I'm happy to go for a reasonably long ride.

Saturday is looking better than Sunday now, lower winds (15mph) and higher temps (5C>0C) so I say the more the merrier.

Anyone got an idea of where to meet up and what time we should start?
  • If you are going on Sunday morning I would'nt mind tagging along. I live in Sychdyn and know the area pretty well.
  • jonah1
    jonah1 Posts: 27
    This sounds like a good idea, I'm off snowboardin saturday so won't be able to go out for nxt 2 weeks.

I live in Northop hall so would be good to meet up and do some of the rides suggested..
  • pugwashcp
    Right then, Penbarras from the Mold side it is.

I ususally start from the village hall car park in Northop and head out past the horticultural college. It's easy to get to and you're into quiet roads almost immediately. It also looks pretty handy for everyone.

I'm free both days this weekend so whichever looks the best weather-wise is fine by me.

How deos a 9am start sound to everyone?
  • Elganesh
    9am is good for me. My vote is for Saturday at the mo, purely because it should be marginally warmer. It's still going to be very cold mind!

What road in Northop is the Village Hall on?
  • Unfortunately I can't do Saturday. Never mind maybe next week.
  • redddraggon
    Clink

This is what I'm doing tomorrow if anyone wants to tag along?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Hi Elganesh

Which weather site have you looked at? I've just looked on the BBC site, Saturday looks like there could be a good chance of rain, but its supposed to be sunny on Sunday and only one degree difference in the temperature.

Chubby on a compact
  • Elganesh
    Hi Elganesh

Which weather site have you looked at? I've just looked on the BBC site, Saturday looks like there could be a good chance of rain, but its supposed to be sunny on Sunday and only one degree difference in the temperature.

Chubby on a compact

Metcheck.com It just seems more accurate but as I said before I'm free on both days so I'll most likely be cycling on both days.

Reddragon: it looks like a great route but I'll be in Manchester :(
  • I'm hoping to get out for an hour or two myself on Saturday afternoon, but like I said I can definately make Sunday morning.
  • redddraggon
    On the subject of which side to climb penbarras:

Mold side is an easy peasy climb (but I did get off to walk over the cattle grids at the top :oops: my confidence of not slipping on the metal left me). But the Ruthin side is harder, it's steeper and slimier.

The Ruthin side would be hard work, especially if it's slightly damp and there's traffic going up to/down from the Moel Famau car park. I did descend it fine today hitting 50mph, but it's not a pleasant descent - too narrow, blind bends and possibly risky if traffic is going up and down. Although TBH I'm a better descender than I am a climber, so I'd much rather do it mold - ruthin. I'm not able to come on Saturday or Sunday though, so it's to you guys what side you do.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pugwashcp and Elganesh have you made up your mind yet? I also know that the local CTC group are going out this Sunday. They meet in the Summerfield car park at 10am and they will be riding around the Ruthin area. They normally do about 50 mile but go at a nice steady pace and have a couple of cafe stops along the way. The guy who leads them off knows all the lanes in the area. The only downside is they are normally out until about 3.30pm. Anyway let us know what you are doing.
  • Pugwashcp and Elganesh have you made up your mind yet? I also know that the local CTC group are going out this Sunday. They meet in the Summerfield car park at 10am and they will be riding around the Ruthin area. They normally do about 50 mile but go at a nice steady pace and have a couple of cafe stops along the way. The guy who leads them off knows all the lanes in the area. The only downside is they are normally out until about 3.30pm. Anyway let us know what you are doing.
  • pugwashcp
    I'm thinking Sunday morning sounds like a plan.
  • Where do you want to meet and what time?
  • Elganesh
    Sunday is fine with me. Do CTC meet in Sommerfield in Connah's Quay? We could tag along with them if everyone's agreeable.

If not say meet at 10am in Northop Village Hall car park?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    cheers for replies, i work 4 on 4 off so off , sun , get up 12.00, mon, tue , wed, then star t again, so can't do this w/end , will keep in touch
  • redddraggon
    T.C. wrote:
    cheers for replies, i work 4 on 4 off so off , sun , get up 12.00, mon, tue , wed, then star t again, so can't do this w/end , will keep in touch

I notice you just posted in the metric century challenge thread....did you do the 66miles today?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • No its the Summerfield in Mold. 10am is fine with me.
  • Elganesh
    Ok so it looks like 10am this Sunday at the Somerfield car park in Mold.

Is everyone ok with this?
  • I'm ok with that. They go at a nice easy pace, but you can go as fast as you like up the hills. You just have to wait at the top for the rest to catch up.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    no i did it monday ,grea t ride up pen y pass down to llanberis, 16.6 avg
  • pugwashcp
    Somerfields in Mold is fine by me.

I'll be the guy in the white Peugeot van with a light blue Kinesis.
  • Elganesh
    Good oh, I'll be on an old steel Lemond with rainbow stripes and my name is Jon.

Saves you asking around for Elganesh! :oops:
  • I'll have a blue jacket on riding a blue python rx3.
  • Bugger!!

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. :(

Poorly wife + 17month old baby girl = no riding for me this morning.

I'll have to try again next week.
  • Elganesh
    No worries pugwashcp, family comes first.

Not sure what happened to everyone else. I got to the car park at 10:03 and there was noone there! Good job I had a ride on Saturday really.

Anyway, next week I am free on Sunday 8th and also Thursday 5th if anyone wants a spin. Hopefully it will have stopped snowing by then and warmed up a little.