Anyone up for a spin in North Wales?

Comments

• I ran out of water around the Llandegla area last summer when I went over Worlds End and I decided Id stop at the visitor centre for a refill, but the access road is a dirt track and I didn't fancy going over it with the road bike and cleats on my shoes. I ended up stopping at the garden centre just outside Corwen, (well away from your route I know), they'd just opened a nice little cafe there, granted, they also have a gravel path but I was gasping for a drink by then so I didn't care and I had a nice Magnum ice lolly and Coke though like reddragon I don't really do cafe stops either.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I'll come along. 3rd time lucky! I'm not fussed about Penbarras from either side but I don't fancy descending down the Ruthin side what with those cattle grids just after the 27% hairpin :shock:

I had a recce of the climb over Rhosesmor on the Dave LLoyd Mega Challenge today. The climb was fine but Mr. Lloyd seems to have chosen the worst road to descend on. It was strewn with gravel and sharp rocks but I still had an enjoyable ride once I'd got back to the Denbigh road.

As for the route on Saturday, I'll leave that up to you guys, chuck in some decent hills and a quality cake stop and I'm a happy man. What time does everyone want to start in the morning?
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    i'm interested in this ,howlong would the ride be, i will contact some friends to try and arrange a shower etc
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd guess around a 40miler from Mold (?) I know it doesn't sound much, but once you factor in riding to and from the "start" it'll be around 70mile.

But distance/route/cafe stop is negotiable. I've no idea of Cafe stops, so I definitely need somebody to give me a definite on that.

Does 40mile sound good?

Any climbs that people want to get in?

I'm thinking of a Mold-Ruthin-Llandegla-Mold sort of route -- sound good? But I reckon Mold-Llandegla-Ruthin-Mold might be a little bit harder......what do do people think?
    Elganesh wrote:
    I'm not fussed about Penbarras from either side but I don't fancy descending down the Ruthin side what with those cattle grids just after the 27% hairpin :shock:

I don't mind the descent that side :wink: It's definitely easier than climbing it :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh
    Looks great to me. Which way are we going round and what time do you want to set off?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Chaps, I keep a google map of popular cafe stops in the area, if you want to help me add more, just drop an exact google map link in this thread and I'll add it on!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 52398a&z=8
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890

That worlds end climb is a bugger, watch out for the ford at the start of it :twisted:
  • redddraggon
    Elganesh wrote:
    Looks great to me. Which way are we going round and what time do you want to set off?

Anticlockwise was the plan. Does 10am in the Kwiksave (is it still kwiksave?) car park sound good?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I don't know if I'll be able to make it this weekend. Mrs P and the little one are both ill so I'm on nursing duty at the moment. If I can get the mother-in-law to help out for a couple of hours I'll try and get out.

I did Horseshoe pass followed by Worlds End last Saturday. Roads were quiet, sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Absolute bliss!! Has to go down as one of my best ever days on the bike.

I think Worlds End has the lot. Stunning approach up the valley and a beast of a climb through the trees followed by the wide open spaces on the road over to Minera. Proper cycling!! :D
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Elganesh

Anticlockwise was the plan. Does 10am in the Kwiksave (is it still kwiksave?) car park sound good?

I think it's Somerfield now but 10am is fine.

So who's confirmed to come?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Elganesh wrote:

I think it's Somerfield now but 10am is fine.

So who's confirmed to come?

I should be coming for sure, I'll need to see how I am, the way I feel, I can go up and down very quickly so I dont like to make deffinate plans, I've got abit of an odd throat at the moment, nothing serious, but it could turn into a bag cold or something, I'll have some good soup and some beachams flu plus to give an early fight to anything that may be there! :twisted:
  • The old Kwik Save is now Farm Foods. If some of you go to Summerfield car park you'll miss each other. Unfortunately I can't make it either this Saturday, may be another time. Enjoy your ride.
  • Elganesh
    Farm foods it is then at 10am.

Here's the location:

http://www.farmfoods.co.uk/index.php?te ... ion=search
  • Had a word with the wife and in-laws and it looks like I'm good to go!!

Happy days :D
  • Anonymous
    So how many people is there gonna be? I'm deffo coming I won the battle with the flu or whatever was trying to develop and set up camp!
  • Unfortunately I can't make it. Something on that I can't get out of. Been over Worlds end lots of times, in fact probably done the route lots of times. Enjoy your ride, maybe another time.
  • redddraggon
    Been over Worlds end lots of times, in fact probably done the route lots of times.

To be fair it's not about the route, these rides are about meeting different people (although I know/have met most of the people anyway).

Willhub has never ridden in what is "technically another country" (sic), so he should get to see how much Wales is better than England....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh
    Well I will definately be there. I'm looking forward to finally putting some faces to names (and to going over Horseshoe Pass for the first time).

I'll be the one with a big grin, a shiny new Trek Madone and possibly the crappest helmet ever!

See you all at Farm Foods at 10:00.
  • redddraggon
    Elganesh wrote:
    possibly the crappest helmet ever!

I'm afraid Willhub is coming, so you may lose that competition :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Elganesh wrote:
    possibly the crappest helmet ever!

I'm afraid Willhub is coming, so you may lose that competition :wink:

My helmet is great, it's done like 8,000+ miles so far.
  • Anonymous
    Good ride that!, I'd be up for some more welsh training sometime, was good.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Thanks for the ride out yesterday Gents, I really enjoyed it.

As soon as I arrived home I was looking at the Trek website to check out the Fuel EX8 in root beer as we saw at Llandegla, how can I get away with spending £1750 on a mountain bike?!!! Answers on a postcard please!

When are we going to do our first off road ride together? Will the Reddraggon convert to the darkside?!!!
  • Elganesh
    It was a great ride, even with those squeaky bum moments over Horseshoe pass (more me than anyone else). I felt more confident descending towards the end of the day so I have to thank you chaps for that.

My only annoyance yesterday was getting a puncture on the way back from work!

More of the same please! (rides not punctures :? )
  • Anonymous
    So any of you done any rides today?

I did 91 miles and was first up Mow Cop :lol:, thanks to my 34 chain ring I guess :P, I'm surprised how short Mow Cop is, thought it was going to be long.
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:

I did 91 miles and was first up Mow Cop :lol:, thanks to my 34 chain ring I guess :P

Did you beat NickT to the top?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

I did 91 miles and was first up Mow Cop :lol:, thanks to my 34 chain ring I guess :P

Did you beat NickT to the top?

I did on swiss hill, he had a 34/50 ring on, I even stopped half way up cause I nearly fell down and struggled to clip in and caught him up and overtaken him. He decided to go another way before we got to Mow Cop.
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Glad everyone enjoyed the ride. It's a shame I had to cut and run but hopefully we can sort out another ride soon.

Spent the best part of the afternoon tinkering in the garden, which was badly in need of some attention, and I have to admit to casting the odd wistful glance at the mountain bikes hanging on the wall. So the offer still stands...if anyone fancies a sociable spin round Llandegla I'd be more than happy to lend someone my spare bike.

As for finding the justification for spending £1700 on a mountain bike you'll hardly use.....buggered if I know. But if you can come up with something that would satisfy my Mrs then let me know :wink:
  • Elganesh
    willhub wrote:

I spent yesterday working so just the 22 mile commute for me and a big fat roast chicken for dinner willhub!

Does anyone know what the mileage was in the end?
  • redddraggon
    From Broughton to Broughton, my mileage was 63.63miles.

The route wasn't great, we had a tour of NE Wales' main roads, nearly ending up on the A483 at one point.

If I'd have known Elganesh didn't live in Mold, I probably would have chosen a different start point :lol:

It's back to riding with the Wheelers for the next few weeks for me....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr