February Training ride in the Peaks: Cat & Fiddle

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bike no 2 for me avec mudguards (oh, and Powertap...)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The forecast: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... sk11&day=2

I think I'll ride bike #1 on Sunday, sod it.

My #1 bike is out of the question methinks it needs all recabling and the brakes seem a bit dodgy :? I got to the top of a bridge and tried to shift to smaller sprockets and it wouldn't let me get past half way through the sprockets.

So I guess all my bikes need recabling now :cry:

Perhaps if I give it a good clean this afternoon it'll be fine.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Is there still snow in them 'thar hills?
    M.Rushton
  • Anonymous
    Yes, at the mo...
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Looks like i'm coming after all! :D
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    By the way, just seen some photos of Blaze Farm - it looks amazing!
  • redddraggon
    So how many people we reckon are coming?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Me plus possibly one...
  • I'm still in.

But I'd like to apologise in advance for my appearance. My 17 month old daughter has now discovered the joys to be had from a flushing toilet and it's ability to whisk objects away to far off places......unfortunately one of the objects she chose to commit to a watery grave was my denture plate :?

I now have a smile like a portcullis and the ability to scare small children from 100 yards.

So I'll be the guy on the Kinesis with a buff pullled up over his gob.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • So who is meeting at the Gateway/Parrs Wood cinema area?

And if so at what time?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    still unsure. What I should do is a nice flat 40 mile club run, my knee will thank me. What I might do is meet-up and see how I feel at the bottom of the c+f! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    So who is meeting at the Gateway/Parrs Wood cinema area?

And if so at what time?

How long d'ya reckon it'll take to get to Alderly edge?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I'll be at the Parrs Wood cinema car park just after 9am tomorrow....

I'm the one on the white Trek....and am still without cleats / pedals so in my trusty Nike trainers :oops:
  • a_n_t
    about 1/2 hour, only 8 miles from the gateway.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    a_n_t wrote:
    about 1/2 hour, only 8 miles from the gateway.

You reckon you are doing the Cat tomorrow then Ant? I reckon even if you took your time and looked after your knee you'd still get to the top miles faster than me......... :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    Still cant decide! :) I want to do this ride tbh but not even started any proper training for the club TT's yet which are only 2 months away! Knackering my knee isn't the way forward :shock: :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    Still cant decide! :) I want to do this ride tbh but not even started any proper training for the club TT's yet which are only 2 months away! Knackering my knee isn't the way forward :shock: :D

Go and see a physio. We hadn't done anything fast or strenuous when you left the Wheelers group last weekend.

For the small cost of a few sessions it could make the difference between being sorted for the club TT's in a few months or suffering through 2009.

I really don't mean to preach, but I've had similar problems myself, tried to carry on and then not been able to walk properly for a week because of the pain.

Oh, 9 am at Parrs wood sounds a good idea to me. :)
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    i'll be there, as long as i set off on time! Bike no2 for me. Mudguarded to the hilt! That'll be the 2nd kinesis bike in the group from what i have read. See you all tomorrow.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    please don't laugh at how muddy my bike is. I meant to clean it today but didn't manage to fit it in.

I'm setting off from here at 9 or just before. I think it's about 10 miles. I'm definitely coming so don't go without me.
  • a_n_t
    Go and see a physio. We hadn't done anything fast or strenuous when you left the Wheelers group last weekend.

It'll be fine, just too much too soon! [wheelers chaingangs!!] Bombing along at 28mph after doing nothing over xmas :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    popette wrote:
    I'm setting off from here at 9 or just before. I think it's about 10 miles. I'm definitely coming so don't go without me.

We cant go without you, its your ride! :wink:
  • After commuting on mine through the winter with only the bare minimum of maintenance it was desperately in need of some TLC this afternoon so I disappeared into the garage for a couple of hours to get it sorted.

New chain, some lube and a bit of elbow grease means it now looks something like presentable. Even the white seat and bar tape (maybe not the best choice for a No.2/winter/commuting bike) scrubbed up ok.

Hope it doesn't get rained on tomorrow :?
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • I was gonna join up with ya but being a veritable beginner and reading some of the posts, think i'll leave it for this one and just take a steady spin up the brickworks and highway man.... if ya see a cannondale liquigas replica with a steaming cloud of sweat and tears blowing out of the rear end at any time, feel free to, give me a tow/help/carry me/ call an ambulance.......! napoleanD knows what i mean... have a good one....!
  • redddraggon
    I was gonna join up with ya but being a veritable beginner and reading some of the posts, think i'll leave it for this one and just take a steady spin up the brickworks and highway man.... if ya see a cannondale liquigas replica with a steaming cloud of sweat and tears blowing out of the rear end at any time, feel free to, give me a tow/help/carry me/ call an ambulance.......! napoleanD knows what i mean... have a good one....!

Why not give the ride a go? We're not all climbing whippets.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cheers for the ecouragement redddragon... maybe if i wasn't working tonight til 0300 and then back in at 1700 tomorrow i may have done it.....! not much time for r+r...!!!!! maybe i just getting old...!!!
  • Anonymous
    Getting old?? That happened several years ago Euge...
  • Nothing like a good bout of self denial...!! ha ha ha
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I just woke up....
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Sorry we didn't make it. Having left the car at Hazel Grove, we were only about a mile away from the meeting place when everything went horribly wrong; a small "off" occurred, which resulted in both me wheels being b0110xed. My partners wheels are also no longer very circular and his tights were ruined as well. After that, we rode at sedate pace, with wobbly wheels and no brakes back to Hazel grove. :( Maybe next time we'll make it to the start at least! :roll:
  • a_n_t
    Bet it was a bit damp and misty up the cat today!

I did a "realtively" flat 70 miles, few twinges but not too bad 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.