February Training ride in the Peaks: Cat & Fiddle

Comments

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Evening all.

For those interested in a spin in the Mold area I'm free on friday afternoon and possibly saturday morning. I usually start from the village hall car park in Northop and head into the hills. Loads of lovely quiet lanes to lose yourself in for as long as you want.

Alas I'm working on those days. I am however free from Sunday until the following Sunday. Bizarrely, I have a week off work and nowhere to go (stupid holiday calendar).
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Evening all.

For those interested in a spin in the Mold area I'm free on friday afternoon and possibly saturday morning.

I'm around next week, I've still got exams in Manchester for another week though :(

So if you want a ride a week this Friday give me a shout.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    threadjacked.gif
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    a_n_t wrote:
    threadjacked.gif

Sorry!!! :oops:
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Point taken. Sorry :oops:
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • a_n_t
    :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    popette wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    Yeah, i'm up for this!

Just to clarify - 10am, Alderly Train Station, 15th Feb?

Correct :)

Alright, popette, as it's your thread, can I suggest you add an edit to your first post at the top of the first page, then people don't have to wade through 5 pages...

Saying
    when - 10am Sun 15th Feb
    meet - Alderley Edge Railway station
    route - a_n_t's route http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/alderley/188895412227
    distance - 42 miles from Alderley Edge : obviously more if you cycle there from home
    cakestop - Blaze Farm http://www.blazefarm.com/

(although we have debated going up Artists Lane rather than up Macclesfield Rd to the Wizard, but I don't think we came to a firm conclusion...)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    good shout - cutting and pasting right now :)

BTW - we did have a counter to Blaze but as that didn't have indoor seating, i think we should stick with blaze if that's ok with everyone
  • andy_wrx
    Cheers !

I still can't believe we're this organised 3 1/2 weeks early... 8)
  • a_n_t
    andy_wrx wrote:
    we have debated going up Artists Lane rather than up Macclesfield Rd to the Wizard, but I don't think we came to a firm conclusion...)

I'm easy, i'll have ridden about 15 miles to Alderley so fully warmed up!
    I'll stick the route in my garmin but suggest that everyone prints it off or at least can find their way back if we get split for whatever reason!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    hopefully ok for this . all depends on weather i can get a few miles in the week leading up to it . im on holiday 31/1 - 7/2 and havent been out much lately. will see nearer the time but should be ok . andy wrx , i remember riding with you about 3 years ago with people from the old cycling plus site . started from stretton roundabout . i think you led the ride and we went towards beaston . good ride .
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    apologies for off topic...

is anyone here signed up for the Dave Lloyd challenge in July? just looking at the routes now and wondering whether to go for the midi or mega?

reddraggon - I notice you ride that area routes often....

I've signed up for the midi, still 100 miles plus 000's metres of climbing. Was thinking after the CC of splitting the midi route into two and riding then two halves over a weekend before the event itself.
  • andy_wrx
    tim000 wrote:
    andy wrx , i remember riding with you about 3 years ago with people from the old cycling plus site . started from stretton roundabout . i think you led the ride and we went towards beaston . good ride .

Yeah, that was me. Have kept seeing your postings since.
    Were you the guy on the yellow Decathlon ?
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    thats me , still got the bike . might have to upgrade soon .
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    a_n_t wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    we have debated going up Artists Lane rather than up Macclesfield Rd to the Wizard, but I don't think we came to a firm conclusion...)

I'm easy, i'll have ridden about 15 miles to Alderley so fully warmed up!
    I'll stick the route in my garmin but suggest that everyone prints it off or at least can find their way back if we get split for whatever reason!

To be honest I don't see the point. There's not much distance between the start of Macclesfield Road and Artisits Lane so you won't get much of an extra warm up. Plus, as soon as you pass the left turn to Macclesfield Road you have a (shorter) climb to do anyway so you don't delay climbing by going that way and becuase the road drops back down before you reach Artisits Lane, you will end up doing more climbing overall.

Also consider that Macclesfield Rd is a safer road if there's a few of you, Artists Lane is windy and some of the cars going down there don't seem to realise its two way...

If you reallay want a short warm up I would suggest turning right from Alderley Station towards Wilmslow, across the first roundabout and double back at the second. A mile and half - two miles of nice flat riding, half of which even has a cycle lane and then hit the Wizard. And its not that long anyway ;)

And if any of you discover you need any bike related spares, energy drinks etc there's a bike shop, Royles first left off the second roundabout.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Slow1972 wrote:
    And if any of you discover you need any bike related spares, energy drinks etc there's a bike shop, Royles first left off the second roundabout.

that opens at 11...
  • the best way to do alderley edge from the station is to turn left, then first right. across at the end of that road, and then left at the top (onto macclesfield road). this cuts out the town, and also the narrower part of the climb near the busy junction at the bottom.
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Slow1972
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Slow1972 wrote:

that opens at 11...

Sorry, hadnt bothered to read the thread from the start, so didnt know what time you're kicking off. My main point was that avoiding the wizard by going up Artists lane is a waste of time, but do it your own way, I was only trying to be helpful.

no doubt you can enlighten everyone what time it closes in case anyone needs anything when you back to Alderley as well ;)
  • Slow1972
    the best way to do alderley edge from the station is to turn left, then first right. across at the end of that road, and then left at the top (onto macclesfield road). this cuts out the town, and also the narrower part of the climb near the busy junction at the bottom.

Good suggestion Alec
  • a_n_t
    Slow1972 wrote:
    Good suggestion Alec

We could always meet at the top of the climb if people want to go up the steeper bit?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • regroup at the wizard perhaps. then folk who want a go at swiss hill/macc road/artists lane can all do their own thing at the start.

or lazy maxonians can cut out the climb altogether :wink:
  • regroup at the wizard perhaps. then folk who want a go at swiss hill/macc road/artists lane can all do their own thing at the start.

• andy_wrx
    What was your point again, Alex ? :)
  • :oops: where are the mods when you need them :wink:
  • a_n_t
    :D

fingers crossed for the weather now, the cat can be rough! :x

:D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.

or lazy maxonians can cut out the climb altogether:

They can and do by turning down Chapel Road rather than up Macclesfield Road (the two are next to each other), following it for a couple of miles (past the bottom of Swiss Hill) until turning right up Oak Road in Mottram and when they get to the T junction at the top turning right and then first left to rejoin Macclesfield Road. Alec and Napolean D should know that way very well.

A couple of other thoughts.

When you drop down from Allgreave (just after leaving Blaze Farm) turn left at the cross roads at the bottom climb up before dropping down to Wincle. Turn right at the church up Wincle Bank and rejoin your original route at the top. That way you avoid the climb on the main road and take in another of the Cheshire Cat climbs.

There is also a very pleasant tea room at the top of the climb after Lamlaload Reservoir - just look out for the tea pot signs.

BTW be careful on the descent to Lamlaload. The left hand bend at the bottom of the hill is often wet and slippery.

Have fun :D
  • are you joining us thetrotter?
  • a_n_t
    "avoiding climbs"????!!!!!!!

Thats just not cricket! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.