February Training ride in the Peaks: Cat & Fiddle

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I suspect the Wheelers club ride on Sunday will be empty then, I see quite a few names who are on this :lol:
  • well I shall be riding down from Didsbury (south manchetser) for anyone who wishes to join....prob leaving about 9 - 9.15??

...or if anyone has a spare seat in the car, then a lift is equally welcome :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Mog Uk wrote:
    I suspect the Wheelers club ride on Sunday will be empty then, I see quite a few names who are on this :lol:

It's looking that way......it's just a shame that the hubmeister can't make it, the comedy factor will be lacking.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    well I shall be riding down from Didsbury (south manchetser) for anyone who wishes to join....prob leaving about 9 - 9.15??

...or if anyone has a spare seat in the car, then a lift is equally welcome :D

A couple of us are cycling down, I guess we could meet you at the gateway?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Where and when is the start? (sorry got forum-itis, am unable to scroll back though 9 pages...)

I'm guessing 10am on Sunday at Alderley Edge train station - yes?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten,

yep....although it seems a few will be riding down from the Gateway after 9ish too, as a warm up...
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Reckon I will be coughing my lungs up as soon as the gradient passes 15% :oops:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    Reckon I will be coughing my lungs up as soon as the gradient passes 15% :oops:

apart from Swiss Hill right at the end of the ride....I'm not sure it will do..... :?
  • I feel sorry for whoever is leading the Wheelers ride from the Gateway on Sunday, to see the look on their face at the turnout, then we all ride off without them........
  • redddraggon
    I feel sorry for whoever is leading the Wheelers ride from the Gateway on Sunday, to see the look on their face at the turnout, then we all ride off without them........

Perhaps we could meet other people somewhere else then?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    popette wrote:
    I'm still coming too although I'm feeling very sluggish and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be far too slow. I hope the weather is ok

Don't worry - I'm scheduled in for a L2 endurance ride in my program on Sunday so I will happily bimble...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    popette wrote:
    I'm still coming too although I'm feeling very sluggish and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be far too slow. I hope the weather is ok

knee permitting I'll be out but I'll be taking it very easy!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    a_n_t wrote:
    popette wrote:

knee permitting I'll be out but I'll be taking it very easy!

I remember writing on here somewhere that I could go along at 20mph on the flat - what I failed to mention is that would be on a lovely sunny day in minimal kit with a favourable wind. At the moment I seem to be struggling along, perhaps it's the cold or the wind, but when I see my speedo and think about what I wrote, I feel a complete fraud :)

looking forward to bimbling at the back
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Mog Uk wrote:

:) Doesn't seem to be much on although Becks' 40 mile intro could be good for my knee!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I feel sorry for whoever is leading the Wheelers ride from the Gateway on Sunday, to see the look on their face at the turnout, then we all ride off without them........

There's a long ride off at nine and there'll be a few on that and I dont think the intro ride attendees will be interested in your trip into the peaks anyway.

Spannielsson, it seems like you would get some pleasure from seeing someone disappointed, I don't know why.

Like you say, you're not actually going on a Wheelers ride so why meet there? There's lots of other club members who arrange their own rides who don't feel the need to meet at the club ride meeting point and then ride off on their own separately arranged ride. Can't understand why you feel the need to.

That said, if you feel the need, the more the merrier for a bit of pre-ride banter. I'm sure Becks will survive leading the intro ride without the your big turnout in attendance and I'm sure the long ride setting off at 9 will cope as well.
  • redddraggon
    Slow1972 wrote:
    Like you say, you're not actually going on a Wheelers ride so why meet there? There's lots of other club members who arrange their own rides who don't feel the need to meet at the club ride meeting point and then ride off on their own separately arranged ride. Can't understand why you feel the need to

Nick, I forgot about the wheelers rides, and I thought that would be the easiest place to meet sportbilly as it's:

a. on the way
    b. in Didsbury
    c. never stopped anywhere else
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    a_n_t wrote:
    Mog Uk wrote:

:) Doesn't seem to be much on although Becks' 40 mile intro could be good for my knee!

My training this week dictates a steady spin so I'll be tagging along with Becks...
  • Slow1972 wrote:

Spannielsson, it seems like you would get some pleasure from seeing someone disappointed, I don't know why.

Not intended in that way at all. I'd be more than gutted if there was a turn out like Sunday 7th at the Gateway then more than half cleared off in the other direction.

I should have added in the first place that we could meet around there but not with the intro ride.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Fair do's boys, you get what I'm saying that's all and I accept it is a convenient meeting point - which is why we use it ;)

BTW - enjoy the ride :) hope you have a good time (and its not too bl***y cold up there)

Mog, I may join you, I havent got the time for a 100 on Sunday, I'll see how I feel after the Chaingang on Saturday!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'm under orders to do L1 which is basically anyone and everyone can overtake me.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Anonymous
    That's grand, I'm on an easy day too so it should be a nice steady ride with us all sticking together. (Hint hint...)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I'll wait and see what the pace is going to be like.

I've been on enough rides where everyone was getting their excuses in early, but on the day... :lol: :roll: :lol:

Whether we stick as a group...well the idea is to not drop and abandon anyone, but nothing stopping us stringing out a bit, or mixing around and riding with different people.

If anyone wants to be a whippet, well plenty of hills to whip up, then either wait at the top or roll back down again and come up again with whoever's at the back.

Equally, for those who want to take it a bit easier, find someone going a similar pace and have a chat, they can do that.

I just hope no-one is an absolute beginner jumping in at the deep end with 40-odd miles of hilly stuff in February with snow at the sides of the road - that could get a bit cold...
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I know this is bad practice but are we still meeting 10.00am at Alderley station ?
  • Anonymous
    Yes
  • ok,

so if the Gateway might be bad form to meet up, where is easiest for other Manchetser riders?

I'm based on Palatine rd / Barlow Moor Rd...so Didsbury village okay for me...or opposite the road from the Gateway in the cinema car park?
  • or opposite the road from the Gateway in the cinema car park?

I was thinking that could be a good idea, outside of Parrs Wood cinema maybe?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    What's the forecast for Sunday? is it mudguards or are we out on #2 bikes (or even #1)
    M.Rushton
  • sportbilly1976
    sportbilly1976 Posts: 524
    edited February 2009
    mrushton wrote:
    What's the forecast for Sunday? is it mudguards or are we out on #2 bikes (or even #1)

well I've yet to fit mudguards....so I'll stay near the back if its wet :oops:

forecast though should be dry...although if it warms up there could be some meltwater on the higher roads....

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecas ... c=1&fday=3
  • The forecast: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... sk11&day=2

I think I'll ride bike #1 on Sunday, sod it.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    We might drive down to H-grove station and go down to Alderley that way. I'll look at the forecast on sat. and see which bike will be selected.
    M.Rushton