February Training ride in the Peaks: Cat & Fiddle

Comments

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I'd love to come along as well if no one minds. The 15th looks good to me, though I know my girlfriends going to give me hell disappearing so early after Valentine's Day!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • andy,

my plan for sunday is to go up the hill to the Wizard a few times on sunday as a training hill....

Artists lane would be a nice route up...so long as we dont meet any kn*bs coming the other way thinking they are the only vehicle on the road :oops:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Sounds fun - subject to weather. Hazel Grove is also a good start point as one can leave the car on the station car park. I'll tentatively say yes subject to weather. Any start time as yet? that tea room is nice but a bit pricey. However, if we know rough numbers might be useful to ring them and let them know they might have a number of people arriving approx. the same time
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Elganesh wrote:
    I'd love to come along as well if no one minds. The 15th looks good to me, though I know my girlfriends going to give me hell disappearing so early after Valentine's Day!

Perhaps she can tempt you with a better offer :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    This is looking good - so we have a route, a choice of stops (I'll investigate) and lots of riders.

Would a start time of 10am give everyone enough time to make it to alderley?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should be fine with me :)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    popette wrote:
    This is looking good - so we have a route, a choice of stops (I'll investigate) and lots of riders.

just thought blaze farm was nearer the middle, dont fancy stopping after only 15 miles or so! :)
    popette wrote:

no problem.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • popette
    If it's nearer the middle then Blaze makes sense to me also - it's open all year so no worries about us turning up and it being closed.

Let's go there then. :)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    a_n_t wrote:
    just thought blaze farm was nearer the middle, dont fancy stopping after only 15 miles or so! :)

It was me suggesting Peak View, didn't realise Blaze Farm existed.

Let's do it !
    popette wrote:

Yep 10's fine for me too.

This all sounds remarkably like a plan... 8)
  • a +1 for blaze ice cream farm, ice cream to die for.

i might be up for this ride, subject to swmbo's say so :oops:

alderley would be good for me as a start point to, coming from macclesfield.
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • a_n_t
    andy_wrx wrote:
    This all sounds remarkably like a plan... 8)

:lol:

So is it up Artists lane then? Dont mind meself like, only ever come down it so it will make a change from the wizard.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • i prefer going up artists lane than down…

if there's a group i'd recommend avoiding swiss hill, the cobbles are a nightmare combined with the gradient. if someone stops in front of you (and it happens), you're off too with no chance to get back on as the cobbles are too slippery to get traction to clip in again. and walking up in cleats is a nightmare too.

btw where is the meeting point in alderley?
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Will be there if weather is half decent.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i,ll be there. :D
  • a_n_t
    if there's a group i'd recommend avoiding swiss hill

Well as its a bit of a recce for the cheshire cat those that want to try it can and the others can watch and laugh? :) As its right at the end of the route it wont be a problem.
    btw where is the meeting point in alderley?

:? dunno, train station anyone?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    also, looking at blaze farm, its only 17 miles into it! Isn't there a food van somewhere in Macc forest?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • So its 10am at Alderley train station....

Seems all remarkably planned....and there is still just under a month to go!!! :)

There is also a potential small sportive / reliablility ride on here for the Leek area on the 15th March if people want a tester with a fortnight to go before the Cat......I've not looked closely at the route, but it is a simialr area so I'd imagine a good training ride.

Right - thats my March filled up now...March Hare on the 1st, been invited to a track comp day on the 8th, Leek ride 15th, Mothers day, Chechire Cat !!

That should see the stone come off :lol:
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    a_n_t wrote:
    also, looking at blaze farm, its only 17 miles into it! Isn't there a food van somewhere in Macc forest?

Yes, next to the Rangers station in the carpark opposite Trentabank resevoir (the top resevoir of the three up by macc forest). Great brews and cake even if it is only a food cabin. There's also a cafe on the road down towards Wildboarclough from the forest, not sure if its open this time of year, but you can sit in there if it is.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    popette wrote:

I should be able to make Alderley by 10.00.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I should be along on this one. What day is the 15th?(Cant be mithered to go look at my calendar- humour me).
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I'm signed up for the Cheshire Cat so I'd like to tag along if you have room for one more.

On a slightly tangental note...Elganesh, I'm just down the road from you in Connahs Quay so if you fancy a spin in the hills to warm up for this gimme a shout.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • a_n_t
    bluecow wrote:
    What day is the 15th?(Cant be mithered to go look at my calendar- humour me).

february :P
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Elganesh
    pugwashcp wrote:

On a slightly tangental note...Elganesh, I'm just down the road from you in Connahs Quay so if you fancy a spin in the hills to warm up for this gimme a shout.

Sounds good to me. I work shifts all over the place so let me know what dates your thinking of and we'll sort something out.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Elganesh wrote:
    pugwashcp wrote:

Sounds good to me. I work shifts all over the place so let me know what dates your thinking of and we'll sort something out.

I too am around in North Wales pretty often, and it'd be good to have company on some of my rides now and again.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh wrote:
    pugwashcp wrote:

I too am around in North Wales pretty often, and it'd be good to have company on some of my rides now and again.

Good oh! Sounds like we've got ourselves a ride to organise. If either of you have any routes to suggest that would be good. I was thinking about going out towards Ruthin or LLangollen soon but don't the area that well.
  • apologies for off topic...

is anyone here signed up for the Dave Lloyd challenge in July? just looking at the routes now and wondering whether to go for the midi or mega?

reddraggon - I notice you ride that area routes often....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    is anyone here signed up for the Dave Lloyd challenge in July? just looking at the routes now and wondering whether to go for the midi or mega?

reddraggon - I notice you ride that area routes often....

Yeh, I spend most of my time in the summer riding those roads - hence the reason why I wouldn't pay to do it.

I'd suggest you not go for the mega challenge, as you seem pretty new to cycling, you'd be looking at well over 10hours riding just to manage a 14mph average. The 70ish mile route would probably a good ride. Bear in mind that it'll probably be raining and/or pretty windy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, i'm up for this!

Just to clarify - 10am, Alderly Train Station, 15th Feb?
  • popette
    Bhima wrote:
    Yeah, i'm up for this!

Just to clarify - 10am, Alderly Train Station, 15th Feb?

Correct :)
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Evening all.

For those interested in a spin in the Mold area I'm free on friday afternoon and possibly saturday morning. I usually start from the village hall car park in Northop and head into the hills. Loads of lovely quiet lanes to lose yourself in for as long as you want.

Sportbilly. I tackled the Dave Lloyd mini last year. It is a SERIOUSLY hilly ride and has to be the hardest 70 miles I've ever ridden. Took me over 6hrs and I was cream crackered for days. Have nothing but admiration for the nutters that tackled the Mega route.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!