February Training ride in the Peaks: Cat & Fiddle

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
Following on from discussion on the Cheshire Cat thread and the Want to lose Weight Thread - who's up for a ride in the peaks?

details:

when - 10am Sun 15th Feb
meet - Alderley Edge Railway station
route - a_n_t's route http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/alderley/188895412227
distance - 42 miles from Alderley Edge : obviously more if you cycle there from home
cakestop - Blaze Farm http://www.blazefarm.com/

So, who fancies it?

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Still a little early to fully commit but I should be Ok for this keep us all informed please Popette
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Sounds good to me, re the start point I'd be driving from near St Helens (no-one suggest riding there first!) so would there be parking handy?
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I might be interested if this forum newbie is invited? If so what sort of pace will you be travelling at?
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Sounds good, count me in.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    yeah, might be up for that.
    If you want to climb the cat AND do some of the cheshire cat route how about:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/alderley/188895412227
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • I'd like to join in if you don't mind!
  • I'm up for it....

a_n_t - that route looks a good one....Swiss hill to end with :shock:

Re: the Wheelers B ride on sunday, currently not got any guards or spares so might wait till next week......

As an aside...what general stuff would people recommend getting - lubricants / cleaners / tool kits etc?

(dont want to take over thread...just a quick question)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Yeh I'd definitely like to come.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yeh I'd definitely like to come.

When are you back?
  • redddraggon
    Yeh I'd definitely like to come.

When are you back?

:oops: I'm back in Manchester now, came back on Tuesday, I saw your email, I just need to reply :roll:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yeh I'd definitely like to come.

When are you back?

:oops: I'm back in Manchester now, came back on Tuesday, I saw your email, I just need to reply :roll:

No worries dude!
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    might be up for this . in austria first week in feb but if i can get a couple of midweek ride in then should be ok . live in northwich so anywhere in cheshires fine . that if i get my bike back from dave hinde by then , only had in for 9 day to put a new bb in . :cry:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    How close would you be starting to Macclesfield/Stockport/Manchester Piccadilly? I'd be up for it, but I'd need to get a train up in the morning.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Oh the Cat & Fiddle!

My brother in law is organising a ride (50 miles or so) which includes the Cat & fiddle. What kind of a route is this? Hilly etc?

Basically what I want to know is, is that ride gruelling and am I in for some pain?

Thanks,

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    a_n_t wrote:
    If you want to climb the cat AND do some of the cheshire cat route how about:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/alderley/188895412227

Looks alright to me...

Meeting at out Alderley Edge and doing 42 miles seems a good idea, better than starting in Stockport or somewhere and then doing 60-70 miles from there.

If everyone is coming from various places in South Mcr / Cheshire, we can ride to Alderley Edge from our various homes/start points and meet-up, or anyone wanting it a bit shorter can drive there and start from Alderley Edge itself

For instance, I'd be coming over from between Warrington & Knutsford, so this route at 42 miles would be 70-75ish total I guess for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Provisionally I'm in, depends on what MrsNapoleonD is working...

Alex
  • well I will prob ride down from south mcr to a meeting point in alderley...

I guess one thing will be the riding pace.....I have provisionally set myself a target for the 66 mile route of finishing sub 4 hrs.....so I guess an average of 18mph on the flats with the hills to even themselves out up & down :)

( I might amend this depending upon my experience on the march hare sportive :? )

not too sure how this sounds for some of the more experienced riders on here??
  • andy_wrx
    Pace ?
    Well, I didn't start this thread and it's not 'my' ride, but we're not going to drop and abandon anybody are we ?

So I'd suggest we can't set any targets or max/min speeds that everyone 'has to' adhere to.

If you're fast, you'll have to be prepared to have to slow-up or wait for anyone slower than you.

And if you're slow or unfit or whatever, do be aware it's a hilly route, some stiff climbs, and it's a minimum of 42 miles assuming you start in Alderley Edge.
    So long as you can manage that, you're welcome.

Anyone disagree ?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Sounds good to me Andy.

Do you know if there are there any cake stops on that route?

As for pace, I'm feeling very sluggish at the moment and I'm struggling around the 16/17mph on the flat. So, I think I'll be hanging on the back. I know the area quite well so it doesn't matter too much if I lose touch - don't worry SportBilly, I am not speedy by any means so you won't be alone.
  • andy,

sounds fine to me.....

wasn't meaning to dictate a pace, just a personal target for the actual ride in march....
  • andy_wrx
    S'alright sportbilly.
    I wouldn't worry too much about time for the Cheshire Cat to be honest - go for being in the top half or third or whatever as a target, not a time/speed, as it could all be a bit weather dependant on the day.

Cake stops popette ? Well, there's that place on the Cat & Fiddle, just before the pub, that's well recommended for homemade cakes, although I've never been myself.
    http://www.peakviewtearooms.co.uk/

And there's a butty-wagon parked in the carpark in Macc Forest (toilets here too)
    It's at the bottom of the climb though, so big burger at your peril !
    Dunno if open in Feb, although it was in mid-November, weekends only.

The section from top of the Cat down to Sutton Lane Ends is a bit bleak, not a lot up there !
  • redddraggon
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Cake stops popette ? Well, there's that place on the Cat & Fiddle, just before the pub, that's well recommended for homemade cakes, although I've never been myself.
    http://www.peakviewtearooms.co.uk

I've been there, seemed pretty good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    andy_wrx wrote:
    The section from top of the Cat down to Sutton Lane Ends is a bit bleak, not a lot up there !

oh contrare! [or however you spell it!]

http://www.blazefarm.com/ :wink:

lovely place! good point on the route to have a brew too! If that route is ok?
    Train station in alderley was my thinking but its straight up the wizard from there!! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • karen

May join you on this is the BIG man doing it ??
  • Jonathan Mcp
    popette wrote:
    Sounds good to me Andy.

As for pace, I'm feeling very sluggish at the moment and I'm struggling around the 16/17mph on the flat. So, I think I'll be hanging on the back. I know the area quite well so it doesn't matter too much if I lose touch - don't worry SportBilly, I am not speedy by any means so you won't be alone.

Popette, as per my posts on the weight loss thread, I'd probably be in a slower group, so if there is a need to consider faster & slower groups, I'll join the slower group right now!
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    can recommend the peak veiw tea rooms aswell . might be an idea to ring them as they were closed last time i was up there . i think the shut down for a short break over winter . much to my alarm when i cycled over from northwich once and had to do without my cup of tea and flapjack. :(
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    popette wrote:
    Sounds good to me Andy.

Popette, as per my posts on the weight loss thread, I'd probably be in a slower group, so if there is a need to consider faster & slower groups, I'll join the slower group right now!

Another one here for the slower group :wink:
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Marko1962 wrote:
    popette wrote:
    Sounds good to me Andy.

Another one here for the slower group :wink:

Fair enough - at least two of us off the back!
  • andy_wrx
    a_n_t wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:

oh contrare! [or however you spell it!]

http://www.blazefarm.com/ :wink:

lovely place! good point on the route to have a brew too! If that route is ok?
    Train station in alderley was my thinking but its straight up the wizard from there!! :)

:twisted: 'au contraire', since you've pointed out my mistook :(

No worries mate :lol:

Never been there - it is about halfway I guess, whereas Peak View is a bit nearer the start...

I guess you're right about going up the Edge to the Wizard
    It'll be alright for those of us cycling to Alderley Edge, but for anyone driving or getting train there, it'll be a bit of a shock to cold legs to start with that climb
    - how about going South a mile or two and then up Artists Lane ? :twisted:

(OK, I'm being silly, but maybe not too silly, as that's the route the Cat will take back towards Knutsford after Swiss Hill [originally back via B-road through Mobberley, but they've now changed the route, presumably so as not to clash with the Wilmslow Half marathon, now goes down Artists Lane and back through Warford and in to Knutsford past the Dun Cow). We'd be going up it rather than down it, but if anyone doesn't know it, it'll show what it looks like and perhaps persuade them not to come down at the speed of light if it's a wet day...)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    First time up Swiss Hill today. It was wet so quite slippy but very, very enjoyable!