Silly Commuting Temperance Society

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have more wine glasses in my flat than normal glasses.... I also have these really large (larger than 750ml) wine glasses that can empty a bottle after you've poured twice.

I've never had a full wine rack.

My girlfriend didn't take too kindly to the news that I won't be drinking on Valentines day.... resentment towards cycling methinks...

The World is boring when I have nothing in my blood or any recent memory of alcoholic bliss... giving up smoking while drinking was hard (the two, like red wine and chocolate are beautiful together).

No alcohol is going to be hard for me but I will persevere.... I'm taking this health drive of mine seriously.

<< Manly Growl! >>
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Greg66 wrote:
    rhext wrote:
    Coriander. I can kind of understand (if not agree with) the logic behind flour, sugar, alcohol etc, given that they are either byproducts or food for yeast. But salt? milk? butter? How do you actually avoid salt? And if you succeed in avoiding it, how do you avoid upsetting your electrolyte balance - particlarly if you're cycling regularly. And given the logic behind avoiding flour and sugar, why don't you have to avoid fruit and veg? Not only are most of them loaded with sugar, but vitamin C is an excellent yeast accelerator.

This sounds like a typical girlie 'avoid all the nice things and it must be doing you good' kind of diet. Wash an anti-fungal capsule down with a pint and a nice cheese sandwich. Deep down you know it makes sense.

Now then, back to the OP. One full week without a drink and the shaking is starting to subside.

Six days in, and I keep thing of the following quote by Leo McGarry, from The West Wing:

"I don't have one drink. I don't understand people who have one drink. I don't understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don't understand people who say they've had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this?"

I don't understand those people either.

His quote above starts with the words "I'm an alcoholic" though, so maybe I need to acquire a greater understanding. :shock:

You do know Leo McGarry had a massive heart attack and died

I'm just saying, that's all.

Also drinking too much makes one Wheezy and Chubby, trust me, I know
    :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• You do know Leo McGarry had a massive heart attack and died

So did John Spencer. How's that for staying in character?

[/bad taste]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Here's a little reminder for team temperance.

Oz & James drink to Britain 8pm BBC2
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Greg66 wrote:

You do know Leo McGarry had a massive heart attack and died

So did John Spencer. How's that for staying in character?

[/bad taste]

John Spencer was also an alcoholic. So, really there wasn't a lot of acting going on there...

John Spencer and Leo McGarry, swapped at birth?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am on 1.5 units in the last three nights. It's a new world for me! It's like I'm pregnant or something.

And YOU'RE the father.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Here's a little reminder for team temperance.

nice... good show that.

mmm beer
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Coriander wrote:
    Traditionally a sourdough mother yeast is made by leaving flour and water mixed together in the open, warm air for a few days. There is sufficient yeast in the air to get the yeast/fermentation process going. With no added ingredients. So my conclusion was the same as Greg's - given that there is a fair amount of these natural yeasts floating around, eating a loaf of bread which has no 'added' yeast but utilises the natural ones would be fine as my therapist hasn't yet provided me with a vacuum to live in.

The 'mother yeast' (or leaven) develops more from the yeasts that are naturally present on the grain, rather than in the air, although it is true that natural yeasts are all around us. Probably more relevant is that a sourdough bread is pre-fermented slowly (during which time the yeasts feed on the gluten in the flour and multiply), whereas bread baked with commercial/fresh yeast uses a larger quantity of yeast for a quicker preferment and proofing. Typically a loaf made with commercial/fresh yeast has yeast at 2% of the weight of the flour.

But the yeast is killed anyway during the baking of the bread - so why bother about it? It's not going to multiply in your gut when you've eaten it. After about the first 5 minutes when the yeast causes the bread to rise, it cannot survive the 250+ degree oven temperature.

As someone's already noted, soda bread is about your only option for a yeast free loaf. Naan and other flatbreads would use fresh yeast or a leaven ('natural' yeast). A 100% rye loaf is very heavy and solid, but still contains yeast - the reason it doesn't rise like a wheat loaf is that rye contains very little gluten compared with wheat. Most 'rye' loaves, like Poilane for example, are a mixture of rye and wheat in varying proportions.

Ian
  • itboffin wrote:
    Quality piece of TV that. I would not want to share that little caravan with either of those two, after they have had a skinful.
    I wonder if they have their own breathalizer kits? cos the plod must be thinking Hmmm nick a B list celeb for D&D, that'll be big brownie points.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • itboffin
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Red wine clearly is a winner - 7 this morning! Even had to stop as my left knee is giving up, going to dull the pain with more Tesco, half price bottles of red....

Interesting point gtvlusso, half price you say?

I've been dabbling with Waitrose unemployed claret (by the case) very reasonable @ £3.74 a bottle including free delivery for those truely lazy arsed (like me)

Although I could only manage two bottles last night :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aldi do a very nice Merlot, at 3.29.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This temperance is going well then... :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    cjcp wrote:
    This temperance is going well then... :P

Ignore these filthy drunks. Stay pure, stay strong!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I had a solitary Carlsberg last night, not even an export. I could swear some of the cans in my fridge were looking a little forlorn and unloved this morning....come here old friends!
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I had a solitary Carlsberg last night, not even an export.

Now if that isn't the mark of a man trying his best to cut down, I don't know what is! :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    :lol:

I popped into a village shop this after whilst out on a little ride and noticed the customer in front of my buying 1 can of strong lager and a packet of mints, then get back in his white van.

Extra strength beer for lunch, Ace!
  • cjcp
    Hmmm. Plums. I am on the horns of a dilemma. Mate just asked if I wanted to go for a beer one evening. I said yes, but I've not committed to a date yet. However, I fully expect to say, "Sod this for a game of soliders" by the time I get to the bar.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rhext
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmmm. Plums. I am on the horns of a dilemma. Mate just asked if I wanted to go for a beer one evening. I said yes, but I've not committed to a date yet. However, I fully expect to say, "Sod this for a game of soliders" by the time I get to the bar.

You really want to give LiT the satisfaction.........????
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Guys, what is the point of denying yourself something you like? Seriously, can someone explain why...I don't get it. I can understand cutting back a bit, taking some nights off etc...but complete abstinence, F*ck that!

Enjoy it whilst you can!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sewinman wrote:
    F*ck that!!

Too right, Im on the batter tonight!! Ya dancer!!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • rhext
    Sewinman wrote:
    Guys, what is the point of denying yourself something you like.....

Ah, good question:

1) To prove I can do it.

2) To lose a couple of Kg before a tour I've got planned later in the year (bearing in mind losing a Kg from the bike costs about a grand, while losing it from my lardy butt actually saves me money)

3) To allow the chronic indigestion, which once started won't go away unless I stop drinking even moderately for a short time, a chance to heal.

Apart from that, no real reason.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I had 2 pints at lunch today rather than 3.. does that help?

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    rhext wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Guys, what is the point of denying yourself something you like.....

Ah, good question:

1) To prove I can do it.

2) To lose a couple of Kg before a tour I've got planned later in the year (bearing in mind losing a Kg from the bike costs about a grand, while losing it from my lardy butt actually saves me money)

3) To allow the chronic indigestion, which once started won't go away unless I stop drinking even moderately for a short time, a chance to heal.

Apart from that, no real reason.

I drink little as it is. It's the food what keeps the weight on for me. I eat a lot.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    so snuck off for a long weekend skiing last w/e and I can report that you lot are down completely the wrong track with this temperance lark.

So you are feeling a bit bloaty and stuffed full of all thouse headache inducing impurities in most booze? And you've gone for the teetotal solution? Error. Just think of the withdrawal stress you are putting yourself. I have the answer and the answer is....

(drum roll)

Grappa!

It's pure, intense, stripped-down, minimalist booze just right for you fixie riders.

Combined with a plate of rosti with speck and three fried-eggs on top, some apricot and caramel dumplings and a double espresso it constitutes your ideal nutritionally balanced meal. The SCR lunch of champions.

Now I just bet that's a weight off your minds...

No thanks necessary,

J :twisted:
  • rhext wrote:

Have you seen your doc about that? You may have helicobacter pylori.

I used to get regular and bad indigestion. My doc prescribed a course of antibiotics to target this little bugger (I should admit that his attention level rocketed up when I told him my paternal g-father had died of stomach cancer and my father had suffered stomach ulcers for years).

Voila. All cured.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Guys, what is the point of denying yourself something you like? Seriously, can someone explain why...I don't get it. I can understand cutting back a bit, taking some nights off etc...but complete abstinence, F*ck that!

Enjoy it whilst you can!!!!!!!!!!

Why indeed. Good question.

1. Because it's there (the usual reason to try anything that looks unappealing).

2. Because during December I was self-medicating with booze as muscle relaxant (eg 1-2 pints of V&T - mixed in a pint glass - 2-3 nights a week; on top of my usual intake). And mixing that with painkillers. Which probably isn't a good idea.

3. Because I'll appreciate it more when I start again.

4. See reason 1.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rhext
    Yes, been to doc. He said 'stop drinking', so I stopped drinking and it went away. Stress sets it off, alcohol keeps it going. Funnily enough, it's got a whole lot better since I started commuting on my bike about two years ago, but I find Christmas can be quite heavy and a bit of a break from the booze does no harm.
  • rhext
    Greg66 wrote:

3. Because I'll appreciate it more when I start again.
    quote]

Oh yes, forgot that one. Big, big plus..... Feeling like a teenager again on a single pint of lager. Pissed with no hangover! Can't beat it.
  • itboffin
    jedster wrote:
    The SCR lunch of champions.

Very nice BUT everyone knows that pot noddle is the food of champions & the Gods....

mmmm pot noddle :P
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's Friday and I haven't had a drop of alcohol and I can't sleep!!!

If I can just make it through this weekend.....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game