Silly Commuting Temperance Society

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I thought you might all enjoy this from the brewery website.

Why did it produce excellent beer? The water is some of the purest in southern England. Rain falling on the high chalk downs, filters its way through the strata where it emerges as springs (source of the River Kennet) or is artificially pumped from wells deep underground to centres of population. This same soil, which filters the water, is the very lifeblood of the barley, which grows on the surface. Generations of farmers planted seed on the Downs of Wiltshire, reaping the internationally acclaimed barley at harvest.

Yummy :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You're not helping, you know itboffin!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You bumpkins are forever down the pub. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Can one of you science-y types help me, please?

On Saturday I bought a loaf of rye bread, having checked and double-checked the ingredients - rye flour, sea salt and water. Sounded perfect for my new diet. So I hove one into my basket (a small loaf weighed about the same as a Trabant, which seemed to confirm that no leavening agent had been used as obviously there wasn't a microgram of air in there).

Now remember, on my fad diet I am trying to kill a yeast infection and am not permitted yeast or sugar (and please don't give your views on the scientific robustness of the diet - a friend spent hours on Saturday doing that, and finally I was reduced to saying, it's my innards, I'll feed 'em what I like, now bog off). So, I was rather excited, thinking I had found a bread I could eat on said fad diet.

However, while cooking yesterday, I read more of the packaging and apparently it's a sourdough rye load. Uh-oh, I thought, it's the yeast that provides the 'sour' in conventional sourdough bread and gives that yummy flavour. The blurb then went on to talk about fermenting...

Does this mean I've blundered and eaten yeast??? And more the point, does it mean I can't eat any more of the loaf?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I think that you need to irradiate all food. Even if it does contain yeast, a small dose of cosmic rays will kill everything in it, as well as ensuring that its totally uncontaminated by vitamins.

Your local tanning salon will be able to help.
  • Coriander
    Would I be right in thinking I can detect just a soupcon of scepticism regarding my fad (you've no idea how often I type fab) diet, Mr AT?
  • Coriander wrote:

On Saturday I bought a loaf of rye bread, having checked and double-checked the ingredients - rye flour, sea salt and water. Sounded perfect for my new diet. So I hove one into my basket (a small loaf weighed about the same as a Trabant, which seemed to confirm that no leavening agent had been used as obviously there wasn't a microgram of air in there).

Now remember, on my fad diet I am trying to kill a yeast infection and am not permitted yeast or sugar (and please don't give your views on the scientific robustness of the diet - a friend spent hours on Saturday doing that, and finally I was reduced to saying, it's my innards, I'll feed 'em what I like, now bog off). So, I was rather excited, thinking I had found a bread I could eat on said fad diet.

However, while cooking yesterday, I read more of the packaging and apparently it's a sourdough rye load. Uh-oh, I thought, it's the yeast that provides the 'sour' in conventional sourdough bread and gives that yummy flavour. The blurb then went on to talk about fermenting...

Does this mean I've blundered and eaten yeast??? And more the point, does it mean I can't eat any more of the loaf?

Well I'm no expect, but googling sourdough rye bread yeast free pulled up this:

http://www.geocities.com/newlibertyvill ... breads.htm

You might be ok.

Maybe.

Or you could start again tomorrow. Just to be sure. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry to disappoint you Cori, but all bread that 'rises' however heavy it may seem contains an element of yeast - flatbreads such as nan or sourdough breads which are simply flour and water would be ok :cry:
  • Coriander
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

You might be ok.

Maybe.

Thanks, Greg, I've decided to believe that article and that eating the rye bread is a positive advantage. :wink:
  • itboffin
    rhext wrote:
    You're not helping, you know itboffin!

tee hee, does this help

3191998542_9884d9ecc5.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

Shut it fatty mountain biker boy :P
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Coriander wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

You might be ok.

Maybe.

Thanks, Greg, I've decided to believe that article and that eating the rye bread is a positive advantage. :wink:

Top Tip Traditional Irish breads such as Soda Bread (AKA Soda Farl) and Wheaten Bread (AKA Brown Soda or Wheaten Cob) are made without yeast. You such be able to find them in M&S or in some Mainland GB supermarkets under the 'Rankin' brand

The wheaten is good in an open sandwich type affair or with soup, the soda bread is best eaten split in half and toasted with too much butter. It is also served as an integral part of the Ulster Fry or split with the contents of a cooked breakfast in the middle.

(NB not sure how the other ingredients in these products will fit with your diet plan)

That Billy Sitch who likes to look at poo was also obsessed with yeast. My understanding is that bread produced in 'plant bakeries' contains high levels of yeast to speed up the proving process and therefore produce a cheaper loaf.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Coriander wrote:
    Would I be right in thinking I can detect just a soupcon of scepticism regarding my fad (you've no idea how often I type fab) diet, Mr AT?
    Possibly, but I'm skeptical about everything as a default, so it doesn't really mean anything that I'm skeptical.
  • Coriander wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

You might be ok.

Maybe.

I think what they're on about in this article is the use of 'proper' yeast and a ferment rather than using 'commercial' dried yeast...

I've never managed to make sourdough without yeast... baking powder bread on the other hand is very easy to make - just google it for recipes. At least that way you can be sure there's no yeast in it! Not as nice though.
  • itboffin
    Thirsty anyone?

3124198407_08c619f5ef.jpg
  • I think what they're on about in this article is the use of 'proper' yeast and a ferment rather than using 'commercial' dried yeast...

That was sort of what I concluded when I went back to it. The idea of airborne yeast in sufficent volume to do what's required leaves me a little sceptical, I must admit. But, otoh, if it's airborne yeast doing to job, then I assume Cori would be OK with that, since her diet doesn't include living in a bubble.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Coriander
    Traditionally a sourdough mother yeast is made by leaving flour and water mixed together in the open, warm air for a few days. There is sufficient yeast in the air to get the yeast/fermentation process going. With no added ingredients. So my conclusion was the same as Greg's - given that there is a fair amount of these natural yeasts floating around, eating a loaf of bread which has no 'added' yeast but utilises the natural ones would be fine as my therapist hasn't yet provided me with a vacuum to live in.

• Huh, well I take it all back!

I wish I'd known about the airborne yeast fairies sooner, would have saved me driving all the way to the next town to buy fresh yeast!

But wait... this means it still has yeast in it... hmmmm. Bubble for you, ma'am?
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Oi! :lol:

(I don't mind the fatty bit. It's the mtb reference I take exception to.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Oi! :lol:

(I don't mind the fatty bit. It's the mtb reference I take exception to.)

I see the standard of wit is a high as ever!! :twisted:
  • itboffin
    Coriander wrote:
    Traditionally a sourdough mother yeast is made by leaving flour and water mixed together in the open, warm air for a few days. There is sufficient yeast in the air to get the yeast/fermentation process going. With no added ingredients. So my conclusion was the same as Greg's - given that there is a fair amount of these natural yeasts floating around, eating a loaf of bread which has no 'added' yeast but utilises the natural ones would be fine as my therapist hasn't yet provided me with a vacuum to live in.

Waitrose have a real rye bead loaf its small and hard looks a little like ryvita, tastes okay I guess and has nothing else in it.

FYI almost all rye loafs will have normal flour and yeast - Mrs ITB forces me to detox twice a year, no wheat, meat, dairy, alcohol, carbs etc etc etc. i'd like to say it's a nightmare but the truth is it's actually pretty good and I usually lose 10-20lbs or so and feel so much more alert.
  • rhext
    itboffin wrote:
    .....Mrs ITB forces me to detox twice a year, no wheat, meat, dairy, alcohol, carbs etc etc etc.....

...please let us know next time she does that!
  • rhext
    Coriander. I can kind of understand (if not agree with) the logic behind flour, sugar, alcohol etc, given that they are either byproducts or food for yeast. But salt? milk? butter? How do you actually avoid salt? And if you succeed in avoiding it, how do you avoid upsetting your electrolyte balance - particlarly if you're cycling regularly. And given the logic behind avoiding flour and sugar, why don't you have to avoid fruit and veg? Not only are most of them loaded with sugar, but vitamin C is an excellent yeast accelerator.

This sounds like a typical girlie 'avoid all the nice things and it must be doing you good' kind of diet. Wash an anti-fungal capsule down with a pint and a nice cheese sandwich. Deep down you know it makes sense.

Now then, back to the OP. One full week without a drink and the shaking is starting to subside.
  • rhext wrote:
    Coriander. I can kind of understand (if not agree with) the logic behind flour, sugar, alcohol etc, given that they are either byproducts or food for yeast. But salt? milk? butter? How do you actually avoid salt? And if you succeed in avoiding it, how do you avoid upsetting your electrolyte balance - particlarly if you're cycling regularly. And given the logic behind avoiding flour and sugar, why don't you have to avoid fruit and veg? Not only are most of them loaded with sugar, but vitamin C is an excellent yeast accelerator.

This sounds like a typical girlie 'avoid all the nice things and it must be doing you good' kind of diet. Wash an anti-fungal capsule down with a pint and a nice cheese sandwich. Deep down you know it makes sense.

Now then, back to the OP. One full week without a drink and the shaking is starting to subside.

Six days in, and I keep thing of the following quote by Leo McGarry, from The West Wing:

"I don't have one drink. I don't understand people who have one drink. I don't understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don't understand people who say they've had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this?"

I don't understand those people either.

His quote above starts with the words "I'm an alcoholic" though, so maybe I need to acquire a greater understanding. :shock:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Greg66 wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Six days in, and I keep thing of the following quote by Leo McGarry, from The West Wing:

"I don't have one drink. I don't understand people who have one drink. I don't understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don't understand people who say they've had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this?"

I don't understand those people either.

His quote above starts with the words "I'm an alcoholic" though, so maybe I need to acquire a greater understanding. :shock:

Hmmm, I feel the same. For instance, if I open a bottle of wine then it has to be finished. I therefore find it easier to abstain completely. My flat mate can have one glass of wine per evening in front of the TV… :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I shocked myself last night by opening a bottle of wine and having one glass. I can't remember the last time that happened.
  • rhext
    biondino wrote:
    I shocked myself last night by opening a bottle of wine and having one glass. I can't remember the last time that happened.
    ]

You should get one of those glasses which take 750ml. Then you can enjoy the smug feeling of restraint well exercised, but still finish the bottle ;-)
  • biondino wrote:

I do that quite regularly... if I drank a bottle of wine every time I opened one I'd be p!ssed all the time!
  • rhext

I do that quite regularly... if I drank a bottle of wine every time I opened one I'd be p!ssed all the time!

You say that like it's a bad thing!
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:

You're weakening... :twisted:

You've probably had a hard week. so far Why don't you pop down to the City of York (or however it's spelt) for a stiffener? Go on, you know you want to. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."