Silly Commuting Temperance Society

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    Now then, where did I put my Open University beard and coat? Ah, here they are. Cue black and white...

Eesh... that's way too much for my brain to handle on a sunday. I need a doughnut.

Not helping.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Now then, where did I put my Open University beard and coat? Ah, here they are. Cue black and white...

If we take a sphere with a radius Ro and a torus with and outer radius Ro, then the surface area to volume ratio of the sphere will always be lower than that of the torus. The sphere is the most efficient means in nature of packing volume (think of a bubble - there's a reason they're not cuboid or spikey).

We can prove this mathematically:

The volume of a sphere is 4/3pi(Ro^3). The surface area is 4pi(r^2). The ration of surface area to volume is therefore 3/Ro, or 1:(Ro/3).

The volume of a torus s 2(pi^2)R(r^2), where r is the radius of the cross-section of the ring of the doughnut, and R is the radius of the circle prescribed by the centre of the ring of the doughnut. The surface area is 4(pi^2)Rr, giving a ratio of surface area to volume of 2/r. If we take the fattest doughnut we can, which has virtually no hole, then R = r, and Ro, the radius of the outside edge of the doughnut, = R + r, or 2r. Substituting Ro for r in our ratio give a surface area to volume ratio for the fattest doughnut we can muster of 4/Ro, or 1:(Ro/4).

The second question - how big do we have to make our doughnut before its volume exceeds that of our sphere with radius Ro, is more difficult. There are two variables at work in the doughnut: the size of the ring (R) and the cross section of the ring (r). A hula hoop (not the crisp variety) could have the same volume as a relatively small sphere, for example, because although R is relatively huge, r is relatively tiny. Conversely, our fattest possible doughnut above would only have to increase in Ro by a relatively modest amount get bigger in volume than our Ro-radius sphere. Anything over 2((3pi/2)^1/3), or about 3.35 Ro, should do it.

That was a bit more than I was expecting Sunday morning to involve.

You forgot your grey socks with sandals :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

You forgot your grey socks with sandals :lol:

I also resisted the temptation to refer to "using the power of math [sic] to prove this" :D:D:D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Eesh... that's way too much for my brain to handle on a sunday. I need a doughnut.

Not helping.

Three After Eights for Sunday brunch is what you need, dear.

Trust me. I'm on fire.

Well, not literally.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Not helping.

Three After Eights for Sunday brunch is what you need, dear.

Trust me. I'm on fire.

Well, not literally.

Are you still substituting minty treats for booze? How's that working out? It's like the after eight diet. I don't like after eights so I'll stick to my diet of wine and doughnuts.

Did you get any recruits for the temperance society or are we all just spectating...?

Sweep anyone? I'll hold the kitty... ;)
  • So far:
    - me (7 Jan to 9 March with a day off),
    - Coriander (one or three months with her crazy diet),
    - rhext (with a 26 day target),
    - cjcp (period tba),
    - greyo59 (11 Jan to 8 Feb).
    And Jen J watching from the sidelines with a "why are you finding this so hard" look of superiority.

Unfortunately, I'm not swapping After 8s for booze. That's how I normally eat them if there's a box in the house. So it's best that they never get through the front door. Which is tricky, as I buy them.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Hmmmmmm, so who's going to be the first to crack?

Smart money's not on Jen J, she's an expert at this.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    And here's me, sitting on my sofa, one eye on the game (gearing up for the mighty BLUES vs MANure), one on this thread, enjoying an utterly superb bottle of Craggy Range single vineyard 2006 pinot noir.

Temperance my arse.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Got the new Marathons on with minimal damage to fingers - now celebrating with a glass of red - those antioxidants :wink: are really working 8)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Well, I ain't cracking. Snacking, on the other hand, is a different matter. I'm sure there was some christmas chocolate left over. I hope I didn't leave it near the beer.
  • Them's fighting words rhext!

I think CJ is the most likely candidate, he was reaching for the whiskey after a bit of advanced maths...

I'll work out some odds... :wink:
  • And here's me, sitting on my sofa, one eye on the game (gearing up for the mighty BLUES vs MANure), one on this thread, enjoying an utterly superb bottle of Craggy Range single vineyard 2006 pinot noir.

Temperance my ars*.

How'd that afternoon work out for you then? :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    It's bizarre, but am on day 10 of fad diet and haven't even thought of breaking it.

Am not sure whether I should be polishing my halo or calling the doctor...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    And here's me, sitting on my sofa, one eye on the game (gearing up for the mighty BLUES vs MANure), one on this thread, enjoying an utterly superb bottle of Craggy Range single vineyard 2006 pinot noir.

Temperance my ars*.

:lol: I hate man u but seeing chelsea loose it good... just wish we hadn't drawn at stoke

nice wine though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Them's fighting words rhext!

I think CJ is the most likely candidate, he was reaching for the whiskey after a bit of advanced maths...

I'll work out some odds... :wink:

Really, young lady? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Coriander wrote:
    It's bizarre, but am on day 10 of fad diet and haven't even thought of breaking it.

Am not sure whether I should be polishing my halo or calling the doctor...
    Well, if you find any vital organs failing, or your hair falling out through lack of essential nutrients, call the doctor.

Until then, go girl!
  • Gregg,

I did my best to plough thro the maths, at no stage did you question the original issue viz a viz no doughnut (not donut) circumference stated, we were rapidly going up a blind alley/ piece of string argument without proper hypothesis stated.

What's the doughnut / pint of morpeth finest (trident?) value ratio. I also didn't see this enter your calcs. Mathematically flawed surely, ignore this Ro nonsense.

Must dash, pint of Landlord or London Pride has my name on it.

Yours smugly, but ultimately morally flawed

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    So far:
    - cjcp (period tba),

I had assumed the same period. No days off planned.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Had some lovely lamb and am through my first bottle of red, a Californian something and contemplating a second bottle On a seperate note I have also broken into sweet song, singing Ray Charles to my girlfriend....

Sorry Greg66, I tried.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    So far:
    - cjcp (period tba),

Game

On

:twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ooooh exciting! Greg and CJ deadlocked, a bit of goading has made CJ all the more determined, Cori's coming up the outside with her remarkable commitment to what is frankly a scary diet...

It's all to play for...

This tempranillo is lovely. I'm going to put my feet up and spectate.
  • Surely the bookies are not talking bets here........................

Cori, to quote LiTs is just doing this on a day to day basis, it's a walk in the park

cjcp is a bit a stalking horse (ie haven't seen any indication that he is an alcoholic in the making, ok only read 430 of the 51? pages)

Gregg66, could be my drinking partner most days of the year by his own admission

Where would you put your cash??
    or is mr 66 the stuff dreams are made of. If so go Gregg!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:

Temperance my ars*.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Have now written Chelsea off for this season. Total lack of effort/desire yesterday. Too many big name, ageing players who don't care a jot for the club. Ballack, Drogba, Deco = OUT.

:x
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    So far:
    - cjcp (period tba),

Game

On

(There may be a business trip before 9 March. A "day off" may be necessary because it will be "business critical". However, there'll be no social days off. And Mr66, what are you going to do with the supplies you've obviously got stocked in the globe in the corner of your office. You all have them, don't you? :P )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gregg,

I did my best to plough thro the maths, at no stage did you question the original issue viz a viz no doughnut (not donut) circumference stated, we were rapidly going up a blind alley/ piece of string argument without proper hypothesis stated.

What's the doughnut / pint of morpeth finest (trident?) value ratio. I also didn't see this enter your calcs. Mathematically flawed surely, ignore this Ro nonsense.

Must dash, pint of Landlord or London Pride has my name on it.

Yours smugly, but ultimately morally flawed

DD

DD

You've got to remember: it was Sunday morning. My senses were dulled.

I've started to eye up the wife's perfume bottles. Argh.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...can't do temperance...oh no...

...as the French say, "a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • il_principe
    Reminds me of a classic Basil Fawlty line:

I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Humbled as I am, I now realise that this is, in fact, a good thing.

I want to play.

The only problem, I have a bachelor party on the 31 Jan and 7 February. Valentines day 14 Feb and the respective Weddings of the Bachelors on the 28 Feb and 14 March (the former will be held at the Temple next to the High Court! 8) ).

The rules state that your only allowed one day off, if an exception can be made in my case, I'm willing to go off booze until the 21 March, my birthday.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Hmmm, having read DonDaddyD's post, I'm tempted to apply for an exception for every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, in which case I'll stay off until next Christmas ;-)

But no! I must remain strong. And I have to say that Weddings (plus accompanying stag dos) would seem to be exceptional circumstances, so I'm OK with that. Not so sure about Valentine's day, as I'm pretty sure my better half would much prefer me sober!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm off for lunch, a quick 15 miles through the forest lanes past the Ramsbury brewery http://www.ramsburybrewery.com/ it would be rude not to stop for at least one, perhaps five :wink: then on to my final destination THE PUB for many more beers and good English country fair. :lol:

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.