Silly Commuting Temperance Society

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
(With apologies to ChrisLS for nicking his title)

Right ho. Having drunk rather too much over Christmas, and then having drunk a lot too much over the last 10 days or so, and having been using booze as a form of medication, I think it's time to dry out. For a bit.

So, being basically binary in outlook, I've decided to go to zero units per day until the end of the first week of March. I am going to allow myself the option of one day off, at the end of January, for my birthday.

Obviously, if I fall off the wagon, I'll confess to my sins in this thread. Don't be surprised if I confess on Monday.

So, who's in? The rules (completely made up by me):
- set an end date no less than 28 days from today
- you can allow yourself one day off in that period
- zero booze intake in that period
- confession your sins in this thread if you take up the challenge and fail like a miserable dog

Clock's ticking...

Edit to add: people who don't drink in the first place can naff orf and go drown in a sea of sanctimony :twisted:
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    [smug]

I'm teetotal anyway

[/smug]

Think this is a great idea, and certainly understand the all or nothing approach.

I take it there are no plans for Morpeth Arms drinks in the new two months...;)

EDIT - to Greg's edit :P
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    I tried, started Monday. Made it through to yesterday evening when I had two bottles of beer. I was only trying to make it through 2 weeks!
  • alex16zx wrote:
    I tried, started Monday. Made it through to yesterday evening when I had two bottles of beer. I was only trying to make it through 2 weeks!

Awesome work! That's an inspiration to all of us.

I think I just drew a beer bottle on my pad. :oops:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I am on an anti-Candida diet, so for at least the next 21 days (7 done already), but probably the next three months ( :shock: ), I am confined to a diet with:

No sugar. None. Whatsoever. At. All. Ever. Ever. Ever.
    No yeast . Ditto. So no marmite, no vinegar and no alcohol
    No flour - no bread, no pasta, no cous cous
    No white rice
    No caffeinated tea
    No cheese
    No milk
    No butter
    No cream
    No salt

Dear god, I'm bored...

So, yes, I'm in.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Pfft - not frigging likely! Only way I get to work is through the power of red wine....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    And there was I about to suggest a pint ce soir. I went from Sat to Weds without a drink. Might try going teetotal in Feb (being the shortest month and all) but the reality I love a nice drink and received several v nice bottles of Pinot Noir at xmas which keep looking at me in a vaguely seductive manner...

... mmm Felton Road Pinot Noir.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I am on the sauce big time!

You can prise the bottle from my cold dead (but still shaking) hands.

Thank God it's the weekend - I can get on it BIG TIME

I'm finding the pincer attack of Global Economic Disaster and Screaming baby somewhat stressful and am solving this problem by getting off my tits a lot.

This may not be a good idea.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Coriander
    Greg T wrote:

I'm finding the pincer attack of Global Economic Disaster and Screaming baby somewhat stressful and am solving this problem by getting off my tits a lot.

You poor thing.

What do you do in the morning when there is a pincer attack of screaming baby and screaming hangover? To me, that seems the only flaw with your plan.
  • il_principe
    Coriander wrote:
    I am on an anti-Candida diet, so for at least the next 21 days (7 done already), but probably the next three months ( :shock: ), I am confined to a diet with:

No sugar. None. Whatsoever. At. All. Ever. Ever. Ever.
    No yeast . Ditto. So no marmite, no vinegar and no alcohol
    No flour - no bread, no pasta, no cous cous
    No white rice
    No caffeinated tea
    No cheese
    No milk
    No butter
    No cream
    No salt
    No newfies

Dear god, I'm bored...

So, yes, I'm in.

I read that as "Anti Canada diet" :lol:

Was a tad confused, I mean the Cnanadians are nice people IME.
  • il_principe
    Coriander wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

You poor thing.

What do you do in the morning when there is a pincer attack of screaming baby and screaming hangover? To me, that seems the only flaw with your plan.

Hair of the dog?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Just as a matter of interest, Coriander, what does that leave that you can eat?
  • brown rice and tofu? :cry:
  • Coriander
    rhext wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, Coriander, what does that leave that you can eat?

Not a whole lot. :cry::cry: :roll: There seems to have been a lot of grilled meat on my plate this week - I'm a carnivore with the best of them, but it's getting a little repetitive now. I'm usually a really good cook, but for some reason this diet is not sparking my imagination.

It's not a weight loss diet, but if I don't come out of this at least a stone lighter there will be hell to pay... :wink:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am dietin', but booze is still on the agenda. The missus has given up for January, though, so when it's just the two of us I'll give it a miss.

Am thinking a lot about clementines and herbal teas. Also, what's a newfie?
  • rhext
    Coriander wrote:

Not a whole lot. :cry::cry: :roll: There seems to have been a lot of grilled meat on my plate this week - I'm a carnivore with the best of them, but it's getting a little repetitive now. I'm usually a really good cook, but for some reason this diet is not sparking my imagination.

It's not a weight loss diet, but if I don't come out of this at least a stone lighter there will be hell to pay... :wink:

If it helps, vodka is so refined there can't be a trace of yeast left in it. In fact, it's also strong enough to kill any yeast which did manage to sneak through the initial fermentation, triple distillation and charcoal filtering. Not that I'm trying to weaken your resolve or anything ;-)
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    I am dietin', but booze is still on the agenda. The missus has given up for January, though, so when it's just the two of us I'll give it a miss.

Am thinking a lot about clementines and herbal teas. Also, what's a newfie?

See my Canadian confusion post. I inserted Newfie for somewhat subtle comedic purposes:

The word 'Newfie' is associated with 'Newfie jokes', typical Canadian ethnic jokes told and retold since the days of the American and Canadian military presence in Newfoundland during World War II. The jokes almost always depict Newfoundlanders as stupid, and lacking in sophistication or intelligence. Many such jokes are identical to ethnic jokes that are used to put down other groups.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I had three days off booze at the start of the week. Since it's now Friday afternoon I'll very shortly be re-toxing.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    My sister did that diet for 3 months. I seem to remember about all she ate were baked potatoes and rice cakes with hummous...

Anyway, more importantly, I saw reference to beers after skool...who's in?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Newfie jokes are the Canadian equvalent of Irish jokes (he says therebye offending the Irish community) - ah well 8)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Newfie jokes are the Canadian equvalent of Irish jokes (he says therebye offending the Irish community) - ah well 8)

There's also a certain amount of p*ss taken out of those in Saskatoon, WInnipeg etc on the basis that they worship The Corn Gods and talk a little slower out there, eh? :wink: .

Anyway, I'm in. The kids are waking up so flippin' early these days, I'm drinking hot chocolate and marshmallows in the evening to make me sleepy anyway and I dread waking up with anything remotely approaching a headache. (I also wear slippers. But I do not, repeat, not wear a cardigan.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    rhext wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

If it helps, vodka is so refined there can't be a trace of yeast left in it. In fact, it's also strong enough to kill any yeast which did manage to sneak through the initial fermentation, triple distillation and charcoal filtering. Not that I'm trying to weaken your resolve or anything ;-)

Now that's just mean. Or is it helpful? I'm not sure yet. :wink::wink:
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

There's also a certain amount of p*ss taken out of those in Saskatoon, WInnipeg etc on the basis that they worship The Corn Gods and talk a little slower out there, eh? :wink: .

Anyway, I'm in. The kids are waking up so flippin' early these days, I'm drinking hot chocolate and marshmallows in the evening to make me sleepy anyway and I dread waking up with anything remotely approaching a headache. (I also wear slippers. But I do not, repeat, not wear a cardigan.)

I'm in as well.

So thats 3 of us then!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I cut out booze from Sunday until last night. I felt bloody awful. Smashed back a bottle of vino last night and today I am back on tip top form! Cyclists used to drink red wine before doing the TDF – so it must be good for you.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I could take or leave alcohol

So for me it would be like giving up peanut butter for Lent..... (easy)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • rhext
    OK, OK, I'm in. Except I can only manage 26 days because I'm off on holiday then (I've done a few already). And wine is included in the price. And with the credit crunch I can't afford not to drink wine which I've already paid for. I'll make up by doing another 28 days after the holiday. Honest.
  • I just sat down to read the forum updates with a glass of red.

I'm so out... my january mystery case is a goooooood one this time around - it includes 4 bottles of '01 Clarendon Hills Syrah... mmmmm...

And it's my birthday next friday, so no chance. January is not a month for sobriety in my book. February maybe. Not March, I'll be in Australia where sober is a swearword.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I didn't have any booze last night
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There are two things I will not willing give up.

Alcohol and meat.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There are two things I will not willing give up.

Alcohol and meat.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I didn't have any booze last night

I didn't have any booze Wednesday night. Go us!