Silly Commuting Temperance Society

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Probate! Does that mean your customers are dead? I can understand how that would lead to a low-stress work environment!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    They're all dead or soon to be dead! :D

In my ten years doing this stuff I think I've been properly stressed twice. Once when I paid someone too much money and they wouldnt give it back and the other when my firm stupidly sent me to court to do a hearing and I TOTALLY ballsed it up! :oops:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I may have had a couple of beers BUT attica & JG forced me toooooo :roll:

honest :lol:

you took them on a pub crawl... yeah you're great at this thread :lol:
    They were mighty fine pubs, though. The first hill after lunch was, erm, tricky...

Sounds familiar. <cough>steak and fois gras<cough> :lol:
    Thankfully there was no coughing ;) Rob did need to take a moment, though...

mmmm, wild boar fillets. noms :D

:lol:

PS. Jon I resisted the urge to eat some of that yummy home made steak & mushroom stew Mrs itboffin had waiting, well at least until Sunday :wink:

Temperance, pah.
    I was the designated post ride driver so attempted that big bu99er of a hill with only a Steak and Stilton (no clenbuterol) pie, 1 pint of something camra approved and local, a huge wedge of chocolate fudge cake and a coffee in me. JG on the other hand had similar food and two pints at that pub and stormed up the hill ahead of me. Had I had that second pint I would naturally have kicked butt.
    As it was I nearly had to have a lie down when I reached the top.

ITB very sensibly pootled up!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rodgers73 wrote:
    In my ten years doing this stuff I think I've been properly stressed twice.

wtf.jpg

That's good going. At last count, mine's a shade higher...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    *bump*

Seriously considering cutting out the beer, guiness and wine for a couple of months.

WIth a delayed start obviously
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Shock & horror but tonight will be my last night on the booze for at least 1 month, tomorrow is the start of my annual detox.

No meat, wheat, dairy, booze, caffeine and some other stuff I forget now.

:cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Shock & horror but tonight will be my last night on the booze for at least 1 month, tomorrow is the start of my annual detox.

No meat, wheat, dairy, booze, caffeine and some other stuff I forget now.

:cry:

I could easily do caffine. I don't drink coffee, I only drink tea at work as a way to break up the working day but meat wheat and dairy???!!!

Lets do this step by step:
    Wheat: possible buy doable
    Dairy: Err, no. That means no porridge, cheese or yogurt.
    Meat: Are you having a laugh?! Its not a meal unless something died!!!!!

Other stuff you forget? Probably not worth remembering!

Happy New Year!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Oh yeah, booze. My slightly squiffy self is thinking that isn't such a bad idea.

I REALLLY should work on the nicotine thing, but the cool kids hang out outside!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm quitting nothing, just doing everything in moderation and cutting down on a lot of the negative excesses out until they're non-existent.

Less takeaway, smaller portions, less unhealthy food and less alcohol.

Can't remember the last time I had a McDonalds.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can't remember the last time I had a McDonalds.
    Is that because of the excess alcohol you are trying to cut down on?

:twisted:
  • Hmmm..... function without alcohol? For 28 days.......!!!!!! :shock:

Sounds suspisciously like something Mrs BT refers to as "reality" However, having just signed up for the "Silly Commuter Weight Loss" thread it would seem like a logical first step. I'm in.

Mind you, can't see me giving up anything else (including caffeine) unless medically neccessary. :D

BTW caffeine does dehydrate you because it inhibits the action of antidiuretic hormone (ADH). ADH is involved in fluid storage in the body; it causes the kidneys to reabsorb water. When ADH is not present, there is decreased water reabsorption in the kidneys, which, in turn, increases the need to urinate. So there. (30 years on, I knew all that drinking at Uni would eventually come in handy) :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • I'm semi-off-the-booze in Jan, with 2 free days for my and my mother's birthdays.

Let's see how I go! :D
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Can't recall stopping this month; with no bike I was back to running for 2 weeks, took part in a 6k event (01/01), came 3rd (out of 85) and was presented with a cup of mulled wine, would have been rude not to
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gbsahne wrote:
    Can't recall stopping this month; with no bike I was back to running for 2 weeks, took part in a 6k event (01/01), came 3rd (out of 85) and was presented with a cup of mulled wine, would have been rude not to

Blimey, 3rd out of 85 sounds pretty rapid, you'd scalp a few hybrids at that pace :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Im off the booze for the whole of January. I have done this once before when I crossed the Atlantic and felt loads better for it (21 days), however you do end up with some nasty spots. I reckon a month should be a fairly realistic target. Only thing im finding hard is locating exotic non alcoholic drinks, the best I have managed so far is J2O, any suggestions to spice up my fluid intake would be welcome. :lol:
  • itboffin
    How the hell can I have a hangover after only drinking, 1 pint of Guinness, 4 small glasses of red wine and 2 glasses of bubbly?

Just not fair I tell you
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    How the hell can I have a hangover after only drinking, 1 pint of Guinness, 4 small glasses of red wine and 2 glasses of bubbly?

Just not fair I tell you

The 2 glases of bubbly - I always get a hangover from any amount of bubbly.
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Just not fair I tell you

The 2 glases of bubbly - I always get a hangover from any amount of bubbly.

Perhaps I should wait until lunch time before hitting the booze ...?

:roll:
  • I 'm limiting my alcohol intake to only drinking when we go out (once in a blue moon, oh & a couple of tins on Blackthorne during Top Gear.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • itboffin
    Hmmm might have to rein things in a bit .... just come back from the bottle bank after missing last weeks recycling bottle collection.

I had rather too many bottles & cans :oops:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Hmmm might have to rein things in a bit .... just come back from the bottle bank after missing last weeks recycling bottle collection.

Thought you were off the beers?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You believed him? :shock: :wink:
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

That was like last week or the week before, sigh! do keep up - besides it was hot there were BBQ's etc etc

what was I supposed to do?
  • itboffin
    I'm nothing if not consistent, here we are two years almost to the day later and i'm off the booze again (this week only) i've tried commuting on a low cal booze free diet, it didnt work very well, lots of dizzy spells and weakness, so didnt fancy commuting, dieting and 60-100 mile weekend rides.

Plan is this week off the booze totally and as little cycling as I can manage, then back a normal diet with hard training.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    itboffin wrote:
    Stuff and nonsense
    Why would you? Pub for Pride tomorrow, Youngs pub Thursday so probably be on the Bombardier.
  • itboffin
    Right that's it i'm going to smash the arse out of this bottle of claret - I'm gagging for it
  • itboffin
    Sleepy now .............................ZzZzZzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Mild fog between the ears this morning. I shall remedy the situation with more brown beer later.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Mild fog between the ears this morning. I shall remedy the situation with more brown beer later.

Correct answer. :)

One of the main reasons I cycle is for the guilt-free beer at the end. Long may it continue.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Right, got to try and lose some weight before the Dartmoor Classic.

Might try and stop between now and then - but first, I have to rid the house of all traces of alcohol!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807