Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

123457»

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Today £50 on new seat post and seat plus new handlebar for my son £59
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Today £50 on new seat post and seat plus new handlebar for my son £59

Fitting that'll make his eyes water.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Today £50 on new seat post and seat plus new handlebar for my son £59

Fitting that'll make his eyes water.

Especially if they're drops. :shock:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    The figure you quote is completely false as it is not a "cost per mile" as you quote. If you buy a new frame for say £1000 on 31st December and ride one mile that day, the cost per mile according to you would be £1000. Whereas the frame may last you 20 years and be ridden for 100,000 miles, thus the real cost of the frame is £0.01 per mile.

Your calculation will always produce artificially high figures as it is not a true cost per mile figure

As for it not being realistic, my "cost per mile" has been very similar for the last 4 years (excluding one year when I was off the bike for 6 months). In a normal year it's 16-18p a mile. Now whether that's a "true" accounting figure or not, it's interesting that it's relatively consistent.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    The figure you quote is completely false as it is not a "cost per mile" as you quote. If you buy a new frame for say £1000 on 31st December and ride one mile that day, the cost per mile according to you would be £1000. Whereas the frame may last you 20 years and be ridden for 100,000 miles, thus the real cost of the frame is £0.01 per mile.

Your calculation will always produce artificially high figures as it is not a true cost per mile figure

As for it not being realistic, my "cost per mile" has been very similar for the last 4 years (excluding one year when I was off the bike for 6 months). In a normal year it's 16-18p a mile. Now whether that's a "true" accounting figure or not, it's interesting that it's relatively consistent.

You heard the man, COMPLETELY FALSE!

;)
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

;)

Damn, you're right. I completely made it up. I don't even have a bike. I'm just here for laughs.
  • new gloves ( no idea of make but they're warm and waterproof...ish) think they were about £20
    fluorescent jacket - £0. donated to me by a friend
    new front light - about £15
    A4 sheet of black reflective stuff - about £8
    spokey dokeys and socks - £11
    total: about £54.
    can't think of anything else.

this is the commute part of the forum yeah? good. cos then I don't have to include my new bike (spesh allez elite) and spesh diva shoes and the turbo trainer :wink:

on the commuting side of things I've had a very cheap year.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

;)

Damn, you're right. I completely made it up. I don't even have a bike. I'm just here for laughs.
    I knew it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcCO6E4NUs8
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

You know, I came to a conclusion last year.

I just ride the damn thing [bike]. I like riding the damn thing to work to get/make/earn money. I am prepared to spend money on the damn thing because I like it.

I set a budget, £100 per month, which would otherwise be spent on afterwork alcohol and impulse buys bought to and from work when using public transport. Sometimes I enjoy exceeding the budget. Sometimes I don't (ref: see cost of cycling repairs thread).

The cost benefit of cycling, for some, becomes negligible because cycling can extend past the need for just transport to work.

For others its just fun and calculating 'fun' down to pennies saved per mile, however accurate or inaccurate, just isn't... er... fun. I'm convinced its cheaper "so there!"

Saving money due to cycling is one of those cool side benefits you brag about to all your lilly-stamina'd friends alongside bragging rights about increased prowess in the bedroom*.

You can ride 40miles a day, they can't. You're the guy they hate because you can get their ex-girlfriend to scream at night and they could never do so.

Now who cares about money saved.

*First cycling-sexual comment of 2011 claimed by DDD!

Now onto my rant about the cost of bike shop repairs.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

You know, I came to a conclusion last year.

I just ride the damn thing [bike]. I like riding the damn thing to work to get/make/earn money. I am prepared to spend money on the damn thing because I like it.

I set a budget, £100 per month, which would otherwise be spent on afterwork alcohol and impulse buys bought to and from work when using public transport. Sometimes I enjoy exceeding the budget. Sometimes I don't (ref: see cost of cycling repairs thread).

The cost benefit of cycling, for some, becomes negligible because cycling can extend past the need for just transport to work.

For others its just fun and calculating 'fun' down to pennies saved per mile, however accurate or inaccurate, just isn't... er... fun. I'm convinced its cheaper "so there!"

Saving money due to cycling is one of those cool side benefits you brag about to all your lilly-stamina'd friends alongside bragging rights about increased prowess in the bedroom*.

You can ride 40miles a day, they can't. You're the guy they hate because you can get their ex-girlfriend to scream at night and they could never do so.

Now who cares about money saved.

*First cycling-sexual comment of 2011 claimed by DDD!

Now onto my rant about the cost of bike shop repairs.

I have the same attitude, but with cars. Bikes for me are A to B transport. It helps that I enojoy it and it keeps me fit, but if there was a quicker/cheaper way to get to work I'd probably take it instead (and, presumably, be fat). In which case I like knowing what I'm spending (or, in my case, saving). Shall I just resign my membership now?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    W1 wrote:
    I have the same attitude, but with cars. Bikes for me are A to B transport. It helps that I enojoy it and it keeps me fit, but if there was a quicker/cheaper way to get to work I'd probably take it instead (and, presumably, be fat). In which case I like knowing what I'm spending (or, in my case, saving). Shall I just resign my membership now?

No, your membership is still valid.

Some people see cycling as a practical means of transport and nothing more. Therefore it needs to be viable.

For others its a way of life.

Happy New Year.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1
    So, it's that time of year again....

£390 or 11p per mile for 2011, which is marginally better than last year, although fewer miles covered (just over 3500).
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I dread to think - but my train season ticket would be £3000 so as long as I spend less than that I don't really care. Also gym membership would be £600 a year so that gives me £3600 a year to play with... plus I really should dedicate at least a grand a year to my hobby so all in all I have a budget of £4600 a year to spaff on cycling and I've spent about £1800 - that includes a brand new Condor Fratello.

So I have to spend £2800 in the next 2 days to come out even.

Wonder if the missus will buy that argument?
  • W1
    I dread to think - but my train season ticket would be £3000 so as long as I spend less than that I don't really care. Also gym membership would be £600 a year so that gives me £3600 a year to play with... plus I really should dedicate at least a grand a year to my hobby so all in all I have a budget of £4600 a year to spaff on cycling and I've spent about £1800 - that includes a brand new Condor Fratello.

So I have to spend £2800 in the next 2 days to come out even.

Wonder if the missus will buy that argument?
    I cannot even consider that there could be a counter argument. Go for it.

Man-maths is always accurate.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Whenever I'm excitedly performing some bizarre financial jiggery-pokery to her to justify yet another pointless purchase her eyes just glaze over and she says automatically "whatever makes you happy dear"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Just had a look including everything I've spent on clothing, bike parts, tubes and tyre, oil, new hand built wheels, and 5 month C2W on new bike, less stuff I've sold (pair of wheels) I'm at £ 941.59 for the year. Stats has me at 4126.3 miles so that's 22.8p per mile. Really wish I hadn't worked that out. However I will not be buying more wheels or another bike next year so it'll come down.

What I've saved again from stats I've made 225 commuter journeys (one way) at £4.20 a go on public transport so that's £ 945 which makes me £ 3.41 up plus I cancelled the gym membership in September so that 4 x £57 = £228 so I've saved £ 231.41 this year. I feel better now.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I failed to keep a tally of this years purchases shortly after loosing my mind in the Rapha sample sale - best not to keep any records :oops:

But according to this car cost calc my car would have cost me 33p a mile at 30 miles a day x 5 days a week (£49.5) - 4 week for holidays - 1 for sickness etc. x working days (£2277) then the kicker parking at the station = £5 a day (£1155) :shock:

that's £3432 on the car and finally there's the train ticket, avg £100 a week = £4600 a year = a grand total getting to work offffffff £8032

Problem is I've spent more this year and last year on bike "stuff" than i would have done in the car :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bike is a cheap SS I bought last year.

I have replaced tyres with 25mm marathon pluses.
    a few inner tubes hence the marathon's being bought.
    bike oil.
    new chain.
    new rear light
    new panier
    new pedals

and wheels trued.

all comes to about £125 for the bike.

bike is used for the commute and for pottering around london town and rides to cafes in the north Downs.

car always confuses calculators as it was a hand me down some 5 years ago, and value is in any case low, so depreciation is not a worry. I do low milage and live in a terribly safe area so fuel/insurance is low.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    This was a very good year (only adding up commuting related cost); I only spent 170 euros. I travelled 2500 km to and fro work so that's only 6,8 Eurocents per km. Last year was 30 cents. PT would be 2,6 Euros a day for 10km= 26 cents per km. I didn't cycle on 38 days :shock: , so more saving to do next year... :D
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Which I hadn't looked. From thinking just a couple of tubes and an emergency pump, I've just tracked it to ~£400 worth of togs, bits & books (do they count?) and a couple of nights in hotels doing the Long Weekend. 9.982 p per mile, not too bad but £400 when it was meant to be nothing much this year is a bit too much.

Using man-maths it comes out at £280 and 7.6p / mile.