Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

W1
W1 Posts: 2,636
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
£491! I thought I was saving money. That's 18p a mile or £3.60 a day. And that doesn't include the bike.

Now a lot of that is kit which won't need replacing next year, and a fair bit is substantial maintenance which also won't be needed next year (I hope!) but it's put a stop to my plan to go clipless for a while.

At least I get a seat I suppose....

Comments

• girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Think I'm on about £600, but that includes buying a whole bike and all new cycling clothes so I'm not so worried.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    About £2000.
  • Not too bad for last year, but going to be this year with the new bike.
  • biondino
    Hmm, including the Focus at cost (I can deduct about £500, and that also doesn't take into account monthly payments, through cycle to work), I actually spent £2,634 last year :shock:
  • How do you do that thing where wiggle tells you how much you've spent?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    IIRC it's under the Personal Discount bit when logged in
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    biondino wrote:
    About £2000.

Wiggle are creating a new diamond members card just for you, I hear the share holders actually raised a toast to you at the AGM.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    W1 wrote:
    £491! ...
    Look at it this way, you just might get third party car insurance for that!

The first years the most expensive, once you've got all the gear you need it's more or less a free ride from there.

I've spent bu88er-all for a few years now. 8)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    About £2000.

Wiggle are creating a new diamond members card just for you, I hear the share holders actually raised a toast to you at the AGM.
    I'm afraid Biondino would have just been an hounourable mention :oops:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • About £700 for me in 2008, which did include replacing stuff incl a bike after mine was nicked. Stupid home insurance with its excess. That's about 15.5p a mile, ain't too bad!
  • W1
    Crapaud wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    £491! ...
    Look at it this way, you just might get third party car insurance for that!

The first years the most expensive, once you've got all the gear you need it's more or less a free ride from there.

I've spent bu88er-all for a few years now. 8)

Sadly I've also got insure the car (well, two cars).

I look at it a different way - it would have been £1200 worth of public transport instead. I'm still a happy, healthy bunny, I just thought the total was around £200 not £500. Bloody wiggle making it easy to spend money!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    I've spent about £1000 easily.

This worries me as my bike only cost £350.... :shock:

My car insurance (I passed in November) is £800+ The excess is £1200. I drive a Fiesta.... :roll:

I hate the World sometimes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    Yup, running my bikes has in the past always cost more than my cars. I trimmed down last year, only got two bikes now....but got a more expensive car....you can't win em' all :lol:
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I think I cleared 3 1/2k :lol:

brompton and a pista in fairness though

take that credit crunch
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    about 230 quid. Brakes need repairing now so I've already got some costs lined up for 2009 =/
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    Not as bad as I thought - only £500ish, not including the new bike, and I bought quite a lot of new kit last year that I'll not be buying again this year. Figure this year all I'll need is a new pair of shoes and possibly some new bibshorts.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    God knows what I spent with Wiggle last year... this year is already standing at £1,625.67! (New wheels)
    :shock:

I'm too scared to try and tot it all up.
  • biondino
    Ah go on Jash...

Before cycling, my hobby was playing poker, and I won a net £8,000 or so online, so I reckon if I put that towards my new hobby then it all evens out. Sort of.
  • £1,625.67! (New wheels)

Is a grand and up a normal cost for good wheels then?? :shock: I was quoted that for some for the new bike, and thought it was waaaaaaay too much!
  • il_principe
    edited January 2009
    £1,625.67! (New wheels)

Is a grand and up a normal cost for good wheels then?? :shock: I was quoted that for some for the new bike, and thought it was waaaaaaay too much!

Depends what you want really. Decent handbuilts can be had for relatively little. If you're planning on dropping a big sum on a high end frame and dura ace/RECORD then really you want wheels that are in the same bracket. £100 wheels on a £5k setup would be a bit weird! I'd suggest you are looking at starting at £500 or so for good alu wheels and hubs (ie Fulcrum 1's), £1200 - £1500 for deep rim carbon ones (Zipp, FFWD), and all the way up to £3k for Lightweight tubs! lightweight-std-zoom.jpg
  • £1,625.67! (New wheels)

Depends what you want really. Decent handbuilts can be had for relatively little. If you're planning on dropping a big sum on a high end frame and dura ace/RECORD then really you want wheels that are in the same bracket. £100 wheels on a £5k setup would be a bit weird! I'd suggest you are looking at starting at £500 or so for good alu wheels and hubs (ie Fulcrum 1's), £1200 - £1500 for deep rim carbon ones (Zipp, FFWD), and all the way up to £3k for Lightweight tubs!

Huh, well there you go! Thanks for that... I will reassess my thoughts on wheel costs! I don't want too deep a v, I'm a little worried about being all show and no go.

Anyway, sorry about that brief hijack. As you were.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    itboffin wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    About £2000.

I told him not to buy those Jimmy Choo cycling shoes :lol:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • DonDaddyD
    lightweight-std-zoom.jpg

Those wheels look like they were designed by Jesus...

:shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I wouldn't spend so much if it wasn't for Wiggle's free delivery on >£50 orders, which i have to buy extra things to qualify for :D
  • biondino
    Livs, not sure you need to spend more than £5-600, and I'm not sure I'd spend that much if you'll be riding the bike on a day-to-day basis - Fulcrum 5s at £175 (they were £148 last year! Blimey!) would do a smashing job, for example.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    Livs, not sure you need to spend more than £5-600, and I'm not sure I'd spend that much if you'll be riding the bike on a day-to-day basis - Fulcrum 5s at £175 (they were £148 last year! Blimey!) would do a smashing job, for example.

Hang on....

The Viner (with Dura Ace or RECORD) will be LiTs commuting bike?

Isn't that illegal of something....

Jeez I mean I knew you took SCR seriously but sheesh.

Still if you have the money and its what you want who am I to preach. I drive a Buggati Veyron to work....
    Food Chain number = 4

• W1
    £1500 smackers on wheels! Jesus. I don't feel so bad now, even though I did buy two new wheels last year (£50 each I think). I don't have a £5k set up though :shock:

I am still in the commuting section, right?
  • il_principe
    W1 wrote:
    £1500 smackers on wheels! Jesus. I don't feel so bad now, even though I did buy two new wheels last year (£50 each I think). I don't have a £5k set up though :shock:

I am still in the commuting section, right?

I should make it clear that the £1500 wheels are not for the commuter! Commuting wheels were 10% of that.
  • biondino
    Lightweight, sort out your ridiculous schoolboy-with-calligraphy-set typeface!!
  • Guestimate of ~£300 for me in 2008, due to a mix of essential/disirable upgrades (Wippermann stainless chain; replacement cassette; some nice Bontrager brakes; various tyres; tubes; Specialized BG gel gloves etc).

I doubt I'll be able to afford half that this year, despite wanting to get a nice wheel upgrade like those Specialized Roval Pave SLs! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo